Saturday, Aug 31    :1954_dancing:

Thanks, mods.

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:19 AM

Didn't Mr. Doman go to Oak Bay high?

B.C. Lions owner Amar Doman was born and raised in Victoria and graduated from Oak Bay High School. “Victoria is a special place for Amar and this is very important for him,” said Vienneau.

https://www.timescol...stadium-6336066

Maybe he moved to Vancouver, I think most of the (lumber etc.) business is headquartered there, and only moved back recently.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 07:20 AM.

#23 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:01 AM

I think we need to start talking about Victoria as Greater Victoria again.  This is sad when it turns into more fiefdom talk.  This is great for the region, as are The Harbour Cats, Pacific United, Hockey Day in Victoria and all events here.  When you can get from one to another in 20-25 mins...  This really is one City and these announcements should be celebrated as such.

Edited by Ismo07, 30 November 2023 - 09:02 AM.

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:06 AM

I think we need to start talking about Victoria as Greater Victoria again.  This is sad when it turns into more fiefdom talk.  This is great for the region, as are The Harbour Cats, Pacific United, Hockey Day in Victoria and all events here.  When you can get from one to another in 20-25 mins...  This really is one City and these announcements should be celebrated as such.

They will never be funded as such though.

We've never been able to get our act together that way.

#25 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:23 AM

They will never be funded as such though.

We've never been able to get our act together that way.

That' true, but most folks don't care where the event is they just go....  I'm speaking more in that vain.  Stirling just wants to talk about how Langford messed this up.

#26 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:25 AM

That' true, but most folks don't care where the event is they just go....  I'm speaking more in that vain.  Stirling just wants to talk about how Langford messed this up.

I think that the game probably has more knock-on effect for the economy downtown, than it ever would in Langford.  Hotels, restaurants, shopping.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 09:25 AM.

#27 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:28 AM

I think that the game probably has more knock-on effect for the economy downtown, than it ever would in Langford.  Hotels, restaurants, shopping.

I think it would have either way...  Out of town folks would still come into Victoria even if they stayed at hotels in Langford.  Won't locals snatch up most tickets? 

Edited by Ismo07, 30 November 2023 - 09:29 AM.

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:31 AM

I think it would have either way...  Out of town folks would still come into Victoria even if they stayed at hotels in Langford.  Won't locals snatch up most tickets? 

Who knows.  Elton John comes to town for two days, the effect on the economy is huge, but you don't see the City providing $300,000 in services.  Don't know why the Lions are so special, especially when it means one less game in Vancouver.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 09:31 AM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#29 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:35 AM

Who knows.  Elton John comes to town for two days, the effect on the economy is huge, but you don't see the City providing $300,000 in services.  Don't know why the Lions are so special, especially when it means one less game in Vancouver.

I was thinking about that.  CFL must be providing something to the Lions, it's more of a CFL event.  The season ticket thing is interesting too... How many do they sell.

Edited by Ismo07, 30 November 2023 - 09:35 AM.

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:39 AM

The season ticket thing is interesting too... How many do they sell.

I read on a forum that if STH do not want the Victoria ticket, they get some credit towards playoff or Grey Cup tickets.

I think the league want to make sure Vancouver GC 2024 sells out.  That's not a guarantee in many cities (it was sold out in Hamilton this year, but not until about 30 days before the game).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 09:39 AM.

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:07 AM

I was thinking about that.  CFL must be providing something to the Lions, it's more of a CFL event.  The season ticket thing is interesting too... How many do they sell.

Apparently they have about 12,000 STHs. 

I wonder where they plan to find thousands of hotel rooms on a long weekend in August when STRs are banned?

#32 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:07 AM

Book soon!

It’s a 4pm game. Many might just day-trip.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 10:08 AM.

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:08 AM

City of Victoria pitching in $300K worth of organizational infrastructure

The city is supporting the event with up to $300K in kind, meaning it will pay for field preparation, traffic control, staffing, and other expenses necessary to stage the game and festival.

“We’re not writing them a cheque,” the mayor quipped. 

No the City is writing the contractors a cheque.

#34 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:49 AM

No the City is writing the contractors a cheque.

Probably still a win...  There will be benefit...

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:51 AM

We really should be the City of Festivals.

We should have had by now the Junos.

We should have bigger concerts. We should have a bigger Canada Day. We should be a huge destination for Swiftsure (this used to be massive) and Victoria Day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 10:54 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#36 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:52 AM

Probably still a win...  There will be benefit...

What is in it for the BC Lions? Best case scenario is that they lose out on 10K+ ticket sales (smaller stadium) and they have to pay to move their organization here for a game. Have to think it is going to cost them at least $2M.

#37 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:53 AM

What is in it for the BC Lions? Best case scenario is that they lose out on 10K+ ticket sales (smaller stadium) and they have to pay to move their organization here for a game. Have to think it is going to cost them at least $2M.

Like I said, I think this is more of a CFL event, so they may get compensated from the league for something like this.  They also spread their brand...  They do not have the best attendance over the last many years...  If they can improve that..  Short term pain for potential longer term gain...

Edited by Ismo07, 30 November 2023 - 10:54 AM.

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 11:01 AM

^ BC has the 4th best attendance in the league. You think that having a game in Victoria will boost attendance in Vancouver?

Perhaps there is more to the deal than we are being told. Maybe the Lions feel that most people will opt out of their STH packages and they can then sell the tickets here for a big premium.

Edited by spanky123, 30 November 2023 - 11:02 AM.

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

Owning a CFL team is a losing prospect already. A few have just been handed back to the league for free.

Doman just wants to do something cool.

I’m into it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2023 - 11:05 AM.

#40 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 11:05 AM

^ BC has the 4th best attendance in the league. You think that having a game in Victoria will boost attendance in Vancouver?

Perhaps there is more to the deal than we are being told. Maybe the Lions feel that most people will opt out of their STH packages and they can then sell the tickets here for a big premium.

Yeah maybe season tickets will be sold but without this game?

I'm just throwing ideas out there as to why they want a game here.  Usually it's to grow fan base. I do not know how many people from Victoria go to BC Lions games but I bet it's more than you or I think...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users