Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#741 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:21 AM

So, as a cyclist who can sometimes (downhill, tailwind, etc..) get on the speedy end of things, am I supposed to ride in that bike lane while down at the bottom end of Dallas?  Cos any more than about 15kmh, and that bike lane is dangerous both bikes and pedestrians..

I think you just adjust your speed for the conditions like everywhere else you ride no?

• aastra likes this

#742 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

you must be real fun at parties.

At the parties he attends the chairs are super comfortable. Just ask him about it.

#743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:13 AM

I would never go to a party that had Adirondack chairs for seating.
  • Matt R., rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#744 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

Next you'll say the Adirondacks have nothing to do with Victoria.

#745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:30 AM

Are we sure these aren't Muskoka chairs?

• Matt R. likes this

#746 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:48 AM

I find the split-rail fencing there is exceedingly ugly. I also dislike all the new plantings etc. What was so nice before was it was relatively unkempt with a nice view of the ocean. There's just too much there now which detracts from the view. Ugly ugly ugly! And as was shown in that one photo especially, no way to get from the car to the waterside path. I hope people start climbing over the fence if they are physically able to. That's what I'd be doing. Now if you park far from the "entrance" when you go back to your car you're going to have to walk amongst the cars to get back to your own car.

#747 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

I saw on Facebook a person posted a photo of a very similar looking camper van to the spilled sewage one. They said it had been stolen from them. Seemed a bit of a fishy story.

#748 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

I don't like the way those fences look in general. But in the city they seem especially faddish and false to me. I suppose a bit here or there in a suitable context is fine, but overdoing it is like beating us over the head with cornball nonsense. Doesn't it look rustic? Doesn't that farm vibe really capture the essence of Victoria? (Even though you had never seen such fencing in the city until maybe 10 years ago, max? And even though the average Victorian has probably never set foot on an actual farm in their entire lives?)

When we're talking about the city's true heritage, this is the kind of stuff that really grates on me. On the one hand they set up a glaringly obvious and out-of-place (not to mention cheap & generic) run of farm fencing, and on the other hand they rip out the very urban and distinctive Dallas Road barrier. It's all about upending what Victoria really is and was and replacing it with something false.

#749 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

I don't see what all the fuss is about. The walkway and two way bike lanes seem very organized, lots of parking and no barriers to climb over. I get that the fencing is not the 50's era concrete anymore, but the new fencing matches what is on the breakwater and it looks like it will be very low maintenance. One can easily view the beach below or view the ocean from the comfort of your car. (Note the rainbow may not be present when you visit)

Dallas 1.JPG

As far as the seating is concerned, they have installed some old man regular bench seating for Mike and his party going friends, and you also have a choice of the chaise lounge style or the reclined chair style. Imagine stepping off of a cruise line and wandering up towards Mile Zero as your first impression our our city. 

Dallas 2.JPG

• sebberry and JohnsonStBridge like this

#750 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

That part seems fine to me. I much preferred the esthetic of the old wall but I also get the point people have made about being able to see through the new fence. It has less distinctive character now but all in all everything probably works better than before. In my former life as a cyclist one of the closest brushes with death I ever had was right along there.

But I'm not a fan of the rustic farm fencing, especially not in excessive amounts.

Note the rainbow may not be present when you visit

I've started a petition:

https://www.savetheo...ildevelopers.ca

#751 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

I think that all looks great.  Now let's see how long we can keep it clean for...  :cop:

As for the wooden fencing they've installed along Dallas Road closer to Clover Point, I think that's a great benefit for the dog owners.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

Oh so there are traditional benches there! I was under the impression all the seating was like the yellow chairs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#753 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

As for the wooden fencing they've installed along Dallas Road closer to Clover Point, I think that's a great benefit for the dog owners.

It's nice for pedestrians too.  You can now walk along the trail of your choice and not be harassed by off-leash dogs coming up to slobber on you. 

• North Shore and JohnsonStBridge like this

#754 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

It's nice for pedestrians too.  You can now walk along the trail of your choice and not be harassed by off-leash dogs coming up to slobber on you. 

Can't say I've had an issue with that but good fences make for good neighbors I suppose.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#755 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

But how do I get from the car to the waterside pathway if the "entrance" is far away? Anyone who can't walk very far is going to have trouble, plus the one entrance was already a sea of mud. The city just does not care about anyone but bike riders and fast walkers. I have never had an issue with dogs before either.

Edited by mbjj, 16 October 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#756 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

https://twitter.com/...5562353667?s=21

Well, it was nice while it lasted, but sadly Victoria Council has voted to allow vehicle access up to the Beacon Hill Lookout again. Hopefully this gets looked at again in the future!

#757 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

Council didnt go far enough. Should have opened up the rest of it. Its pretty token what they did especially in light of 95% negative reviews for closing it to begin with. 

• pennymurphy2000 and FogPub like this

#758 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:10 PM

As Adam Stirling said before the decision was announced, they'll probably open up part of the park so we can all pretend to be oh so grateful and aren't they a wonderful bunch. The entire park should be opened, that's for sure. 

#759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:34 AM

Classic.

It’s the same 50-steps forward, two-steps back strategy that was employed with the tent cities.
  • pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#760 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:06 AM

We drove up to the lookout yesterday. Only a couple of free parking spots, lol. Great heap of rubbish greeted us near the watering can. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users