• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Have we seen this map before?

I'm trying to understand the motives behind these changes and one of them might be the new pathway with the road closures that will now run diagonally from the northwest to the southeast. See the red dotted lines on the map above.

Unless the bollards at Park and Heywood were a mistake and will be removed they are not indicated on that map and they were very much real last night.

Also yes I could have gone up Arbutus but really didn't think I would not be able to enter Circle Drive from Dallas. It seemed longer at the moment but knowing what I know now I would operate differently. Perhaps it is resistance to change but I am usually okay with change when I see the benefit. I see no benefit and saw no problem previously...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

...there will be a concerted attempt to move it into BHP. Neither location is good either for the residents or the organizers.

What does "the residents" mean in this context?

#123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

I assume we've all seen the movie Hot Fuzz?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Is this athletic area in use for anything anymore? It looked a little abandoned when I drove by: http://binged.it/NKbsMx

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Here's a not-so-great dashcam video of where you can now drive in the park:

EoAO4MxtGE8

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

What does "the residents" mean in this context?

I assume it means those who call BHP home; ducks, peacocks, squirrels, and of course the seasonal residents of the petting zoo. I understand for years this group has been lobbying to reduce vehicle traffic in the park and ban any and all theatrical and other entertainment activities. Apparently they have some sort of spiritual connection to the Cameron Bandshell and hope to one day return it to its former function as a place of ritual sacrifice. :banana:

#127 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

My view is that amount of roads in BHP before this implimentation was complete overkill. Why did we need all these methods of getting through the park? It's not like one side one side ends with a freeway and begins on the other side, like Stanley Park for example. There are decent sized arterial roads on the south side and the north side, east and west.
Who knows, maybe we shall look at how the roads were stuctured in the distant future and wonder why we ever needed all these roads in the first place.

#128 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Unless the bollards at Park and Heywood were a mistake and will be removed they are not indicated on that map and they were very much real last night.

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken GMan. I just went by there again tonight, and there are no bollards at Park and Heywood, nor are there any holes to indicate there were some yesterday. There were three cars parked at the cricket pitch, where the "P" is to the right of the "No Exit Road" lettering on the map. So far as I can tell, the map is entirely accurate.

#129 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

I am not crazy... Hmmm.... perhaps it wasn't bollards it was certainly blocked there yesterday otherwise I would have driven through...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#130 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

My view is that amount of roads in BHP before this implimentation was complete overkill. Why did we need all these methods of getting through the park? It's not like one side one side ends with a freeway and begins on the other side, like Stanley Park for example. There are decent sized arterial roads on the south side and the north side, east and west.
Who knows, maybe we shall look at how the roads were stuctured in the distant future and wonder why we ever needed all these roads in the first place.

Perhaps they're not "needed" but blocking them off now is an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money driven by the view that the park needs to be more cyclist and pedestrian friendly (read: more anti-car).

I liked the parallel parking along the roads since it meant my car didn't get dinged up in the tight parking stalls by someone unloading their kids, strollers, etc..

Not everyone with mobility issues has a disabled parking pass either.

I dunno, it irks me that council felt this needed to be done now especially being in much deeper than first planned with the JSB.

Solution in search of a problem - I didn't even know there was unlimited all-day parking there that could be abused by parking free-loaders.

#131 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Is this athletic area in use for anything anymore? It looked a little abandoned when I drove by: http://binged.it/NKbsMx

It's considered to be a soccer field, but it's many years since I've seen a game there.
Pieta VanDyke

#132 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Is it a concrete "field"? It looks concrete, and when I was driving up the road to the flagpole I could have sworn grass was growing up through the concrete.

#133 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Jon and Roy are playing a free show at the bandshell this Monday, August 6th. They put on a good, all ages live show.

Matt.

#134 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Is it a concrete "field"? It looks concrete, and when I was driving up the road to the flagpole I could have sworn grass was growing up through the concrete.

Oh, it is a soccer pitch all right. Although it doesn't look elegant, it's one of the only all-weather fields in the area apart from the artificial turf at Topaz Park and UVic. Its use is sliced and diced into as many pieces as possible ("You, sir, may put your U12 girls on that quarter field for the next (looks at watch) 14.5 minutes.") in the winter, when rain shuts down the majority of the grass fields.

It is compacted, crushed gravel, not concrete. The kids don't love it, but it's often the only place to get a practice in once the monsoon begins.

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Oh, it is a soccer pitch all right. Although it doesn't look elegant, it's one of the only all-weather fields in the area apart from the artificial turf at Topaz Park and UVic. Its use is sliced and diced into as many pieces as possible ("You, sir, may put your U12 girls on that quarter field for the next (looks at watch) 14.5 minutes.") in the winter, when rain shuts down the majority of the grass fields.

It is compacted, crushed gravel, not concrete. The kids don't love it, but it's often the only place to get a practice in once the monsoon begins.

Yes, it's old-technology "all-weather" and not nice to fall down on. arfenarf, I think City Centre Stadium in Langford has an all-weather field too, has all those loose rubber chips.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#136 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Yes, it's old-technology "all-weather" and not nice to fall down on. arfenarf, I think City Centre Stadium in Langford has an all-weather field too, has all those loose rubber chips.

Hampton Park, Tyndall Park and Braefoot Park are all sporting FieldTurf, now.

#137 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Looks like Mr Luton is going to get the trans Canada trail starting in Fairfield after all. Impressive... I guess it's better to have someone in council serving there own interests when it's all about biking vs getting rich. Personally I don't see any problems with the traffic in the park. As someone said, they could just install pay parking in problem areas, Put in some bike friendly speed bumps here and there, job done. At the very least they could spend a fraction of the money because no study would be needed and revenue would come in from the parking. If anywhere needs limited cars it's Gov street...look how busy it was during the busking festival.

#138 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Looks like Mr Luton is going to get the trans Canada trail starting in Fairfield after all. Impressive... I guess it's better to have someone in council serving there own interests when it's all about biking vs getting rich. Personally I don't see any problems with the traffic in the park. As someone said, they could just install pay parking in problem areas, Put in some bike friendly speed bumps here and there, job done. At the very least they could spend a fraction of the money because no study would be needed and revenue would come in from the parking. If anywhere needs limited cars it's Gov street...look how busy it was during the busking festival.

It will be interesting to see how The Lutonian One reconciles the fact that the Trans Canada Trail is multi-modal. As I've been reading his online Facebook rants, it is obvious that he doesn't have time for scooters, skateboards or even strollers. It's all bikes, all the time, for everyone. :farmer:

#139 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Stop the traffic blocking, relax the commercial ban, turn the old Checker House into a park owned snack bar, give peanutbutter a good dusting, and encourage more events and activity.

:thumbsup:

We need you back on council!

Yes, it's old-technology "all-weather" and not nice to fall down on.

That is putting it mildly. I would never let my kids play competitve games on that shocking surface.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#140 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I played soccer dozens and dozens of times on that field as a teenager (late 90s/2000s). It wasn't that bad (it's certainty not concrete). You could get some scrapes if you had a bad bail, but we got bloodied up on grass fields too (the worst injuries I ever got never had anything to do with the surface you happened to be playing on).

"I would never let my kids play competitve games on that shocking surface." Really? god, people are over-protective.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users