Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#161 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've spent some time wandering about the park since the changes were made. My comments:
1- overall the park seems more natural and peaceful - especially near the main playground where I used to fear the combination of car drivers looking around at the beauty and kids, well, being kids.
2 - where before it was difficult (or even dangerous) to walk a stroller (or wheelchair) along Circle Drive near the totem pole, the pedestrian lane makes it safe
3 - the drivers who used to cut through the park heading from James Bay to Fairfield and vice-versa will simply have an extra 500 meters of driving to go around. Eliminating these drivers will cut down the speeding dramatically and make things a lot safer for pedestrians
4 - more one-way signage and maps of the changes are needed. People will get confused and end up going the wrong way. Then again, they will adjust over time. I'm assuming that the signs will arrive over time.
5 - I would go a step further and close the parking by the cricket field. Yes, it is parking for those in Fairfield, but it really seems to break the energy of the area. The same number of parking spots could be created closer to the corner of Heywood and Park. The cricket players could easily park by the tennis courts or the parks yard.
"I know nothing"

#162 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Just curious, where's the speed study to show that there was in fact a "speed" problem in the park. Those roads are pretty hard to "speed" on.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

...I would go a step further and close the parking by the cricket field...

I would just go a couple of notches further. First, close off all access to BHP, be it vehicular, bicycle, stroller, wheelchair, scooter, roller blades, little red wagons or anything else with wheels. I would then ban all pedestrian access. Non-indigenous wildlife would be next on my list. So all creatures not actually born within the legal park boundaries, would be wise to start looking for new homes soon. Once these simple steps were completed I would engineer some sort of electronic shield to enclose the entire park and keep all manner of species from entering this most sacred of spaces. This would ensure BHP remains in pristine condition for the rest of all time, and with any luck enjoyed by no one. :whyme:

#164 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

^Actually if you checked it out for yourself you might agree that the changes will only make bhp more popular.

#165 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

spent some time at the corner of Heywood and Park on Saturday afternoon. About 50% of the cars coming South on Heywood, including taxis, obviously wanted to cut through the park to Circle Drive. They even ignored the "no exit" signs and had to turn around at the cricket parking. should cut down on the speeders on Heywood; a good thing, folks.

#166 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Again, how fast are the so-called speeders going?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#167 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well I did a tour. It's half baked and confusing. They should use the money to not do a study (they will do what they want anyway, JSB proves that) and just tear up all the roads but the one so there is no confusion, Use the funds spent on the study to build a couple of perimeter parking lots recycling the asphalt from the removed roads. I can't even tell if the road is closed until I get to the blockade, making it useless to walk or bike on anyway. Or better yet, just leave it as is and spend the half million on something that needs it....

#168 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

One week in, mixed reaction to Beacon Hill Park changes

By Katie Derosa, Times Colonist August 12, 2012 6:34 AM

"We're getting mixed feedback," said David Speed, who was manning an information booth along Dallas Road on Saturday.

"We have some people who think we haven't gone far enough [in limiting traffic], some people who like it and a lot of people who think it goes too far and that it interferes with how they use the park."

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz23Lgj8ziB

Jim Hume reflects on the blessings of being 89:

Then there's Beacon Hill Park, a year-round delight, rain or shine. At risk of being burned in effigy, I still think that great park would be enhanced with a tea room similar to Willows. An enhanced blessing for sure.

http://www.timescolo...8723/story.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#169 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Some cursed the awkward U-turns, while others celebrated fewer cars speeding through Beacon Hill Park.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've still yet to see any stats showing how bad the "speeding" problem was in the park. A few speed bumps would have taken care of this.

All they had to do was make it less desirable to cut through the park, they didn't need to close it off entirely.

#170 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

A few speed bumps would have taken care of this.

All they had to do was make it less desirable to cut through the park, they didn't need to close it off entirely.

Have one of those radar signs that read off the speed to you, and a warning that automated spike belts will deploy if you exceed 15 KM per hr. :cop:

#171 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'd be 100% for the road closures if there was a secret attachment to the project to build a snack bar/tea house type thing. Heck use the income from that to pay for the changes.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#172 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well 2 months in and visiting the park almost daily I am pretty much delighted with the changes. I would go so far as to say that I would be very disappointed if these changes weren't permanently implemented. I have observed driver behaviour and there is little to indicate to me that people are frustrated.

I am convinced once people get used to the changes, they will go along with my way of thinking.

I would like to read opinions from others here that have actually spent time in the park.

#173 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Funny I haven't been there since my last experience.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#174 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I haven't been there since the last time I was there.

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

As someone who more often visits BHP on foot rather than in a vehicle the recently implemented changes don't especially affect me. My greater objection is once again that the brain trusts at City Hall decided to correct a problem that didn't exist. Much like the $500,000 spent on "beautifying" the 900 block of Pandora Avenue, I think the BHP "traffic management" project was a waste of my tax dollars. :mad:

#176 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

I don't get why it could cost $500Gs I guess I have been burying my head in the sand regarding the cost. I am hoping this number will change.

Btw there is a survey in the Beacon Hill portion of the city's website. People should voice their opinion there.

#177 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

Some of the barriers will be removed this weekend - to let marathon lead vehicles through etc.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#178 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I walk through BHP almost every day with my dog, and I am a big fan of the new changes. Very little car traffic and a more pleasant pedestrian experience.

#179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Some of the barriers will be removed this weekend - to let marathon lead vehicles through etc.

So when the city needs to allow vehicle access to the park then it's OK. Damn this makes me angrier than having the barriers there at all. :mad:

#180 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

That's good vehicle traffic. People visiting the park for recreational purposes = bad vehicle traffic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users