Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#21401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

people seem to be able to miss parked cars that appear off and on in the curb travel lane all over town. i'm sure they will be fine. its a 30kmh zone. unless there is once-in-100-years blinding fog or smoke or snow that reduces visibility to 5m they will see it.

People crash into police vehicles with emergency lights on when they’re parked partially in a travel lane.

What they’ve done there invites trouble. It’s dangerous. And ultimately on the hook are Victoria taxpayers.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:54 AM

what about the parkettes on fort and bike park areas or construction trailers or all the new street patios.  deadly too?

it's hardly a busy or visually-challenging area.  the street is dead-straight.  and again it's 30kmh as has been forever.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#21403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

The travel lanes do not jut around them, and from what I’ve seen, they are all on one-way streets.

Here you’re forcing vehicles to jut over into the path of oncoming vehicles. It’s dangerous to create such a scenario.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

Here you’re forcing vehicles to jut over into the path of oncoming vehicles. It’s dangerous to create such a scenario.

you must avoid those counterflow lanes in vancouver.  or two-way left turn lanes.  or curves in roads.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2021 - 09:01 AM.

#21405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

Luckily our roads don’t have the level of poor design being exhibited here. This situation is unique.

But we do have a recent realignment of Jacklin Road I can point to, which is now adorned with tire marks from vehicles hitting the curb by drivers realizing too late that the road realigns suddenly to the left, but in that instance it does not force vehicles to cut into what was the oncoming lane. You can see the tire marks for yourself.

Know it all.

#21406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

Luckily our roads don’t have the level of poor design being exhibited here. This situation is unique.

But we do have a recent realignment of Jacklin Road I can point to, which is now adorned with tire marks from vehicles hitting the curb by drivers realizing too late that the road realigns suddenly to the left, but in that instance it does not force vehicles to cut into what was the oncoming lane. You can see the tire marks for yourself.

is it a straight stretch for 100m in one direction (to a stop) and hundreds in the other that's extremely wide and is 30kmh?

#21407 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:46 AM

It's not that bad... it basically just looks like the other end of Cook Street now...

https://vibrantvicto...770#entry258770

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#21408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

Proving that insanity doesn't stop at the Saanich-Victoria border.

#21409 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

The travel lanes do not jut around them, and from what I’ve seen, they are all on one-way streets.

Didn't they sort of do the same thing on Burdett?

#21410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

I don’t know what that pertains to. What did they do?

Know it all.

#21411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:37 AM

where they blocked it to cars for bike lanes.

#21412 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

where they blocked it to cars for bike lanes.

That could be dozens of streets.

#21413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:00 AM

I’m not familiar with those charges at all. I know Vancouver is closed at McClure, though.

Know it all.

#21414 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

The proper thing to do is to lease a commercial space near the park and provide services from there, not this “tent” that is jutting out into a travel lane.

I firmly believe that this was done in order to get a reaction.  Once the outcry becomes loud enough, COV will announce a "solution" to the problem that people wouldn't have accepted initially.  Just part of their MO.

• Nparker, GaryRanson, mbjj and 1 other like this

#21415 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

I firmly believe that this was done in order to get a reaction...

Of course it was. This is now the modus operandi of at least half of council to punish the citizens for electing a moderate like Stephen Andrew.

#21416 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

I see Isitt is now the Fairfield liaison person. Heaven help us. 

• GaryRanson likes this

#21417 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

What commercial spaces are there near the park except for those basically on Cook Street (e.g. the parking lot behind the drugstore?)  I can’t imagine the owners would see a few months rent compensation for the inevitable damage to their businesses that would occur.

#21418 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

Hey, Gorge Burnside got Dubow so don't gloat......

• GaryRanson, Love the rock and mbjj like this

#21419 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

I don’t know what that pertains to. What did they do?

There's an "advisory" (as in, "I advise you not to drive there") stretch where it appears to be 2-way vehicle traffic but with only 1 lane.
  • Mike K. likes this

#21420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Hey, Gorge Burnside got Dubow so don't gloat......

There's no way these appointments aren't meant as a big middle finger to their respective neighbourhoods.

• GaryRanson likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users