Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
21412 replies to this topic

#21401 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 104 posts

Posted Today, 08:27 AM

Let's start by ending the war on the truth first.

Which tactic will we be using today?

Cry Fake News?

Egg on the terrorists?

No transparency?

Downplay the crisis?

Bully and silence opposition?

Celebrate unrelated accomplishments?

I tell ya, Trump DNA is everywhere.

Edited by kitty surprise, Today, 08:55 AM.

#21402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,755 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

Cheque day was January 20th.

seems to come earlier every month.

#21403 Nparker

Nparker
  • 27,946 posts

Posted Today, 08:32 AM

It varies from 4-5 weeks, to cover 12 payments in a year. Here are the dates for 2021:

• January 20, 2021 (for February 2021)
  • February 17, 2021 (for March 2021)
  • March 24, 2021 (for April 2021)
  • April 21, 2021 (for May 2021)
  • May 19, 2021 (for June 2021)
  • June 23, 2021 (for July 2021)
  • July 21, 2021 (for August 2021)
  • August 25, 2021 (for September 2021)
  • September 22, 2021 (for October 2021)
  • October 20, 2021 (for November 2021)   
  • November 17, 2021 (for December 2021)
  • December 15, 2021 (for January 2022)

#21404 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,903 posts

Posted Today, 08:37 AM

People driving on Cook towards the ocean should just continue to drive in a straight line, really really close to the tent. I'm sure the squatters will take a shortcut through the playground. 

#21405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,640 posts

Posted Today, 08:43 AM

This decision certainly places the city in a legal quagmire. By adjusting the travel lanes how they did, there inevitably will be an incident where a vehicle will continue straight, forcing another vehicle to have to react to avoid a collision. The veering towards the curb also places cyclists at risk.

It’s so poorly thought out that I imagine this will be challenged as a serious safety concern. And I don’t mean to be a worry wort, but this is legitimately bad.

The proper thing to do is to lease a commercial space near the park and provide services from there, not this “tent” that is jutting out into a travel lane.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,755 posts

Posted Today, 08:47 AM

people seem to be able to miss parked cars that appear off and on in the curb travel lanes all over town.  i'm sure they will be fine.  it's a 30kmh zone.  unless there is once-in-100-years blinding fog or smoke or snow that reduces visibility to 5m they will see it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, Today, 08:49 AM.

#21407 Nparker

Nparker
  • 27,946 posts

Posted Today, 08:47 AM

...It’s so poorly thought out that I imagine this will be challenged as a serious safety concern. And I don’t mean to be a worry wort, but this is legitimately bad...

Par for the course with the CoV SJW council.

#21408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,640 posts

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

people seem to be able to miss parked cars that appear off and on in the curb travel lane all over town. i'm sure they will be fine. its a 30kmh zone. unless there is once-in-100-years blinding fog or smoke or snow that reduces visibility to 5m they will see it.

People crash into police vehicles with emergency lights on when they’re parked partially in a travel lane.

What they’ve done there invites trouble. It’s dangerous. And ultimately on the hook are Victoria taxpayers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21409 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,755 posts

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

what about the parkettes on fort and bike park areas or construction trailers or all the new street patios.  deadly too?

it's hardly a busy or visually-challenging area.  the street is dead-straight.  and again it's 30kmh as has been forever.

screenshot-www.google.com-2021.01.24-11_59_01.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2021.01.24-11_56_09.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, Today, 08:59 AM.

#21410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,640 posts

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

The travel lanes do not jut around them, and from what I’ve seen, they are all on one-way streets.

Here you’re forcing vehicles to jut over into the path of oncoming vehicles. It’s dangerous to create such a scenario.

Know it all.

#21411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,755 posts

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

Here you’re forcing vehicles to jut over into the path of oncoming vehicles. It’s dangerous to create such a scenario.

you must avoid those counterflow lanes in vancouver.  or two-way left turn lanes.  or curves in roads.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, Today, 09:01 AM.

#21412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,640 posts

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

Luckily our roads don’t have the level of poor design being exhibited here. This situation is unique.

But we do have a recent realignment of Jacklin Road I can point to, which is now adorned with tire marks from vehicles hitting the curb by drivers realizing too late that the road realigns suddenly to the left, but in that instance it does not force vehicles to cut into what was the oncoming lane. You can see the tire marks for yourself.

Know it all.

#21413 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,755 posts

Posted Today, 09:06 AM

Luckily our roads don’t have the level of poor design being exhibited here. This situation is unique.

But we do have a recent realignment of Jacklin Road I can point to, which is now adorned with tire marks from vehicles hitting the curb by drivers realizing too late that the road realigns suddenly to the left, but in that instance it does not force vehicles to cut into what was the oncoming lane. You can see the tire marks for yourself.

is it a straight stretch for 100m in one direction (to a stop) and hundreds in the other that's extremely wide and is 30kmh?

26 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users

sebberry, A Girl is No one, Sparky