Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#21461 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:55 AM

Sea cans won’t change this. No barriers=no chance

I thought tiny homes at RAP were the solution.

• LJ and sebberry like this

#21462 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:24 AM

the presumption that most/many/all people will leave their tiny homes or apartments or hotel rooms to use safe consumption sites is probably very faulty too.

where are the statistics on how many have died in other supportive living arrangements? likely several die per month locally here - inside various types of "homes". that's just not something that makes news like a tent city death does.

From meme pry I think at least 50% )maybe more) or overdose deaths occur in private residences. I’m not sure if that includes supportive housing.

#21463 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:24 AM

Located at the southeast corner of Beacon Hill Park, Perkins said the warming tent is about as far away as possible from people sheltering in the park.

“Unfortunately, this was the only option, and no location is going to be perfect,” he said.

Such a structure cannot be located in the park because of an ongoing lawsuit between the Friends of Beacon Hill Park and the City of Victoria that alleges that around-the-clock camping violates the trust governing the park.

https://www.timescol...park-1.24272617

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2021 - 07:24 AM.

#21464 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Didn’t hippies just want to be left alone and go into communes where they grew their own food etc? Sorry if I got that wrong... was before my time.

Yes, that's what I meant. The hippies of the late 1960s went off and did their own thing and didn't expect freebies, like this current lot does! 

#21465 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

I haven't been down by the new tent myself, but when my husband drove past he thought he saw tents erected on the chip path. Of course, he was probably concentrating on following the new wiggly yellow line and may have been mistaken. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#21466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Located at the southeast corner of Beacon Hill Park, Perkins said the warming tent is about as far away as possible from people sheltering in the park.

this is about a 700m radius.

lots of people go lots further to get stuff (they go to work for living). hundreds of people living in south fairfield walk to work daily.

these unemployed addicts can't walk 200 to 700m for free stuff once or twice a day?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2021 - 09:17 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#21467 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

That was taken earlier in the day.  There is now another structure where the car is in that photo...

#21468 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

the presumption that most/many/all people will leave their tiny homes or apartments or hotel rooms to use safe consumption sites is probably very faulty too.

where are the statistics on how many have died in other supportive living arrangements?  likely several die per month locally here - inside various types of "homes".  that's just not something that makes news like a tent city death does.

I am sure that there are some people who use safe consumption sites and they probably save lives. De-stigmatizing drug use, providing free supplies and showing people how to properly inject themselves and what to look out for afterwards is probably very useful training for those who are starting to use drugs now that it has been made so easy and acceptable for them. I would think though that the hardcore users who can't walk straight or utter a coherent word probably aren't taking the time to wander off to one of the various facilities and take advantage of the service.

The highest rates of drug overdoses are in the cities with the greatest number of services to try and prevent them. Anyone not on the poverty pimp payroll can see that. Obviously what we are doing doesn't work.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#21469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

...The highest rates of drug overdoses are in the cities with the greatest number of services to try and prevent them. Anyone not on the poverty pimp payroll can see that. Obviously what we are doing doesn't work.

So let's double down on what we are doing. :whyme:

#21470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

I am sure that there are some people who use safe consumption sites and they probably save lives. De-stigmatizing drug use, providing free supplies and showing people how to properly inject themselves and what to look out for afterwards is probably very useful training for those who are starting to use drugs now that it has been made so easy and acceptable for them.

right.  and then by extension we should probably have classes in elementary and junior high schools showing how to best use heroin, crack, meth and ecstasy etc.  

• A Girl is No one likes this

#21471 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Yes, that's what I meant. The hippies of the late 1960s went off and did their own thing and didn't expect freebies, like this current lot does! 

this is true...i rented a big old victorian in james bay in the early 70's - 7 bedrooms and only three of us there all the time. the other four bedrooms were rented out for $30/month so that folks from gabriola, saltspring, texada, etc. would have a "real" address.

they would come to town once a month, pick up their cheque, shop for supplies and then head back up to the islands with their vans and guitars!

they didn't hang around the city campind and mooching...it was back to the land, baby!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#21472 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

right. and then by extension we should probably have classes in elementary and junior high schools showing how to best use heroin, crack, meth and ecstasy etc.

And maybe tell them it’s ok to do drugs and nothing to be ashamed of.

#21473 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:00 PM

“Unfortunately, this was the only option, and no location is going to be perfect,” he said.

Such a structure cannot be located in the park because of an ongoing lawsuit between the Friends of Beacon Hill Park and the City of Victoria that alleges that around-the-clock camping violates the trust governing the park.

https://www.timescol...park-1.24272617

I think its the trust, not the lawsuit which is prohibiting the tent in the park... More rephrasing to get a reader to interpret something a certain way.

• Awaiting Juno and Kungsberg like this

#21474 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

That was taken earlier in the day.  There is now another structure where the car is in that photo...

I just drove past there.  Two tents, one seems to be largely full of stuff.  Heaps of (junk, supplies, garbage, valued personal possessions?) piled along side the tents.  Looked like a couple of staff or volunteers on site, no one else evident.  Already starting to look like a proper shantytown.

• Nparker, On the Level and Victoria Watcher like this

#21475 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:37 PM

this is true...i rented a big old victorian in james bay in the early 70's - 7 bedrooms and only three of us there all the time. the other four bedrooms were rented out for $30/month so that folks from gabriola, saltspring, texada, etc. would have a "real" address.

they would come to town once a month, pick up their cheque, shop for supplies and then head back up to the islands with their vans and guitars!

they didn't hang around the city campind and mooching...it was back to the land, baby!

my kids always say.."pics or it didn't happen" ...so

317 simcoe st in 1974

Attached Images

• img652.jpg
  • img650.jpg

• Rob Randall, Nparker, Greg and 3 others like this

#21476 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

Who sent the cheques?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#21477 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

the provincial government.

the pst was once known as the “social services tax”. take from the many. give to the few.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2021 - 03:20 PM.

#21478 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

I wonder if those little kids rebelled against their parents and became accountants and bylaw officers.

• Redd42 likes this

#21479 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

I’d bet one of aastras donuts that it was the parents who became accountants and bylaw officers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21480 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

The tent contracted by Isitt Enterprises seems to be having the desired effect: upsetting the housed neighbours and thereby causing Ben's fan club to have multiple outrage-gasms on social media, having a collective meltdown about the "right wing NIMBYs", Adam Stirling, etc. Maybe Ben can incite his followers to storm the CFAX offices and take selfies in Stirling's chair wearing viking hats?
  • Nparker, mbjj and Vicrazy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users