Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#21481 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:38 PM

I wonder if those little kids rebelled against their parents and became accountants and bylaw officers.

one of those hippies went on to run their own business, teach and get elected

one made a career canada's largest theaters making costumes for thirty years

one became an art teacher at Lllangara

one founded a dance school and recieved the Order of Canada

one kid works in IT

one is a prof at ucla

not bad for a bunch of hippies ;-)

• Redd42 and Love the rock like this

#21482 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:39 PM

^

what they didn't do was hang around the city creating problems for everyone else!

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#21483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:10 AM

one of those hippies went on to run their own business, teach and get elected
one made a career canada's largest theaters making costumes for thirty years
one became an art teacher at Lllangara
one founded a dance school and recieved the Order of Canada

one kid works in IT
one is a prof at ucla

not bad for a bunch of hippies ;-)

sounds like about half of them continued life on the public payroll. still picking up the government cheque.

just kidding.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2021 - 03:17 AM.

#21484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:03 AM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2021 - 06:03 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#21485 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:06 AM

The man who died alone in his tent next to Royal Athletic Park on Sunday was well loved for his boisterous laugh and infectious smile, says a friend.

Erik, who lives in the parking lot encampment, said he met Ben, whom he knew only by his first name, in the fall while both were sheltering in Central Park. The two became friends, a word Erik said he doesn’t use lightly.

Rev. Al Tysick, executive director with the Dandelion Society, said he had known Ben well for at least five years. He said was Ben was an upbeat person who always made others feel good and showed gratitude for any help he received.

He was known to say “Tomorrow is going to be a better day,” said Tysick, who has worked closely with the street community for decades.

Ben, who was in his early 30s, often let Tysick know when he was worried about someone for any reason, whether they were sick or had lost their dog.

https://www.timescol...ones-1.24273173

i don't doubt the guy was a real saint.  especially in the eyes of other freeloaders.  but the vast majority of taxpayers are not interesting in supporting this guy's life in the way we do year after year for 5 or more years.  get out of our parks.  get a job.  or otherwise get off the dole.  i guess in a way he has now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2021 - 06:08 AM.

• Nparker and JimV like this

#21486 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:22 AM

But a lot of these people, if not most, are simply unemployable, the level of dysfunction and mental health issues in their lives is crippling. 70 years ago you could go down to the docks and haul crates and sweep the warehouse for a day but those jobs are gone. For them getting a nine-to-five job gathering carts at the supermarket is like you or me aspiring to be Prime Minister.

• sebberry likes this

#21487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:32 AM

But a lot of these people, if not most, are simply unemployable, the level of dysfunction and mental health issues in their lives is crippling. 70 years ago you could go down to the docks and haul crates and sweep the warehouse for a day but those jobs are gone. For them getting a nine-to-five job gathering carts at the supermarket is like you or me aspiring to be Prime Minister.

so if i take that at face value - and i don't as i know lots of people that will hire part-timers and casual labour - then why is this guy "on the streets" 5 years later?  anyone that was homeless 5 years ago theoretically has been offered housing maybe even a few times in the time period.    has he turned down housing?  has he burned a landlord or social services?  was he generally irresponsible or so troubled.

i agree that housing providers and the government are not very transparent with "waiting lists".   

#21488 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

The man who died alone in his tent next to Royal Athletic Park on Sunday was well loved for his boisterous laugh and infectious smile, says a friend.

I would love to see harm reduction agencies be forced to handle out colour coded supplies to their "clients". That way when someone dies in a tent, employees of that agency will know it was them who contributed to the death. Far too easy now for everyone to just stick their head in the sand. 

• sebberry likes this

#21489 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

If you were to ask that person's family "with hindsight, do you wish the system had worked harder to get them off drugs, rather than enabling them to keep using?" I wonder what they would say.
  • aastra, Nparker, sebberry and 4 others like this

#21490 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:54 AM

...well loved for his boisterous laugh and infectious smile...

More template-style coverage? Search news for "infectious smile" and "boisterous laugh".

I admit, I don't know if I've ever known anyone in my life who had anything close to an infectious smile (no offense to Mike K.). Thus, I've never been inclined to add such a meaningless cliche to the remembrance of someone I cared about. I'd probably go with "nice" before I'd go with "infectious smile".

• Nparker and JimV like this

#21491 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

More template-style coverage? Search news for "infectious smile" and "boisterous laugh".

So I am not the only one who has noticed this repeated phraseology.

#21492 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

^I can picture your infectious smile when you were typing that.

• Nparker likes this

#21493 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

Maybe there's a group of people in our population who need something similar to a parole officer or foster parent well into their adult years.  If my dad started to lose it and was no longer able to meet his own basic needs (manage his money, buy groceries, etc.) - and he did not have a power of attorney, I'd apply for a committeeship.  I get that many of these people may not have family, but these people need people to be administrative managers of their lives so that their basic needs (ie. housing) are met.

#21494 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

And no doubt his death was a “grim milestone.”  

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#21495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

The Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre will reopen in March as a temporary housing site with wrap-around supports for up to 45 people without homes.

Attorney General David Eby announced the move Wednesday as part of an ongoing effort by the province and City of Victoria to move people indoors by March 31 and end around-the-clock camping in city parks.

https://www.timescol...arch-1.24273683

The lease runs from Feb. 1 to May 30, with options to extend it beyond the deadline.

i guess that means there will be no hockey this year.  sounds like rg held out for a very good price.  good on them.  how much do you want to bet it's over $300k per month, plus other expenses like utilities and security.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2021 - 04:16 PM.

#21496 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

Province's media release: https://news.gov.bc....21AG0009-000150

Not mentioned is the cost of setting up the arena as a shelter again, which will take at least a month. The first version had a safe-consumption room, and walls preventing residents from accessing other parts of the building.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 27 January 2021 - 04:17 PM.

#21497 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Working link:

https://archive.news...inning in March.

VICTORIA – The Province, through BC Housing, has signed a lease with GSL Group that will allow the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (SOFMC) to be used again for temporary housing beginning in March.

Securing, preparing and staffing this facility is a significant step towards meeting the Province and City of Victoria’s goal of having enough indoor spaces available to move people living in encampments in Victoria by the end of March. The facility will provide shelter and wraparound supports for up to 45 people currently experiencing homelessness.

#21498 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:18 PM

And this opens 45 more spaces in various CoV parks for additional squatters.

#21499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:36 PM

Both links are not working. Weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21500 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

Yup, the release was taken down.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users