Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#22741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,869 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:42 AM

B.C. Housing estimates there are about 220 people staying overnight in the region’s parks and about 100 will be offered places to stay this week. With about 300 new shelter spaces opening in the coming weeks, the provincial housing agency said everyone in tents should have a place to stay.

https://www.timescol...arks-1.24314091

so not really sure what those 300 are.

#22742 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

vancouver:

“They don’t really have the support or the programming, or cultural programming we’ve be able to provide through the encampments,” York says.

Seriously?  The lack of cultural programming is a barrier to getting out of tents and into more robust shelters?!  For crying out loud.  We've empowered these people far too much.

• Nparker, Love the rock, mbjj and 4 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22743 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

...the no guest policy that’s prevalent right now, especially with COVID it’s very isolating...

I live alone and I am only allowed 2 people in my "bubble" - that's isolating. I've been told to work from home for the foreseeable future - that's isolating. Suck it up like the rest of us have had to do.

• sebberry, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

#22744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,869 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

I live alone and I am only allowed 2 people in my "bubble" - that's isolating. I've been told to work from home for the foreseeable future - that's isolating. Suck it up like the rest of us have had to do.

it seems to be used as an excuse both ways.

the excuse to live in parks and the excuse for not living in parks.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#22745 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 02:43 PM

Swung by and grabbed a shot of the interior courtyard of the Tin Can Townhouses today.

Attached Images

• 851CC08A-55F7-4C0F-9CE9-3E5D20CD4593.jpeg

• Mike K., Awaiting Juno, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#22746 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 02:48 PM

Exactly! My former coworker also lives alone and the only person she has contact with is her elderly mother, who also lives alone. My husband and I have limited contact with our daughter, usually outdoors, so that's one other person. Talk about "beggars can't be choosers"! 

• Nparker likes this

#22747 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:26 PM

pretty much it's a all or nothing.. they want it all locked doors, supports that are individualized to their specific wants and "needs" ability to come and go and have as many guests over as they want when they want (during covid)  or they will hold our parks hostage until they get it...

oh and ofcourse a workshop to fix up all those "friends bikes" that just keep breaking down since you can't do that sort of work in your unit...

gosh they aren't asking for much are they?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22748 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:35 PM

.... they will hold our parks hostage until they get it...

And this is precisely the license that has been granted to them by Lisa and her merry band of misfits.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#22749 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

Even if they just landed here from LA or AB. We owe them...
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#22750 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

“If it comes with a lock [and] key and privacy, sure! Anything less is a no for me,” said Bryan.

I wonder what sort of lock he has on his tent?

• Nparker, Love the rock and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22751 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:00 PM

City of Victoria park homeless count:

220 - May 2, 2021

where are the other 120 being offered space?

Beacon Hill Park.

I am pretty convinced that the CoV never intended to stop camping other than making it appear they were.  Spotts and Isitt are going to be liaisoning with other like minded activists to make sure this doesn't end.  I am not sure if their end game is every homeless person having a free home or if it is longer range for decolonization and banning free enterprise.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#22752 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:00 PM

Swung by and grabbed a shot of the interior courtyard of the Tin Can Townhouses today.

My god.  Why couldn't we have leased some work camp trailers and called it a day?  All this?  Something tells me it won't be going away.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22753 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:26 AM

...Something tells me it won't be going away.

Ya think?

• sebberry likes this

#22754 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:39 AM

Why is there any camping at all in the parks. Lots of room in the motels, just put in bunk beds or two to a room. It is good enough for our soldiers in barracks. 

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#22755 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:31 AM

Why is there any camping at all in the parks. Lots of room in the motels, just put in bunk beds or two to a room. It is good enough for our soldiers in barracks.

Why not golf courses for that matter? The activists keep saying they want to eat the rich.
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#22756 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:33 AM

...The activists keep saying they want to eat the rich.

While, in fact, the activists actually eat the middle class, the literal hand that feeds them. It's rather crazy when you look at it objectively.

• sebberry, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#22757 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

Noticed on the weekend that about a dozen campers and trailers plus an unknown number of tents have set up shop behind fencing on the 5100 block of West Saanich Rd. I wonder if these are vehicles and campers relocated from BHP.

#22758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,869 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:39 AM

Noticed on the weekend that about a dozen campers and trailers plus an unknown number of tents have set up shop behind fencing on the 5100 block of West Saanich Rd. I wonder if these are vehicles and campers relocated from BHP.

what is this property?

#22759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

That's the David Shebib property. I don't know if he rents it or owns it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22760 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,869 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:29 AM

we've had a conference centre sitting empty for over a year bow.  it could easily handle 200 on cots.  but the empress hotel probably made it clear they would not allow it under terms of their agreement with the city.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users