Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25957 replies to this topic

#22781 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

For some, making the move indoors is a challenge.

Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.

Beland said staying indoors reminds him of his time spent in prison. “I don’t like that door closed and the walls around me.”

https://www.timescol...pens-1.24314722

We bought him a secure apartment and it's still not good enough?

Here come the excuses!

... Reminds me of prison

... I miss my 'community'

It's pretty obvious by now, until we buy them granite countertops and jacuzzi tubs with stream showers in tony Uplands they'll never be happy.

Edited by kitty surprise, 04 May 2021 - 06:09 AM.

#22782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:59 AM

these people are - on the whole - mentally ill.   almost all of them.    

• A Girl is No one and TFord like this

#22783 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:25 AM

I have heard of this before. Being surrounded by four walls wigs them out. Some sleep on their balcony. Maybe not all mental illness, just a severe anxiety. Most I think get over it. 

• rmpeers likes this

#22784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:33 AM

these people are - on the whole - mentally ill.   almost all of them.     

This is why "housing first" is a failed policy. Many of the homeless need mental health supports that the current model simply does not provide.

• grantpalin, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#22785 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:03 AM

Severe anxiety is classified as a mental health condition. I see that some people are protesting the facility in Central Saanich. They are right to be worried. There are no real supports in this facilities. Harm reduction supplies for sure, but not much else. 

• Nparker likes this

#22786 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:14 AM

For some, making the move indoors is a challenge.

Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.

Beland said staying indoors reminds him of his time spent in prison. “I don’t like that door closed and the walls around me.”

Might have been a good idea to get this information BEFORE BC Housing spent $100M on rooms for people who don't want them. Don't worry though, like the Rehab centre in View Royal that had 3 out of 50 rooms occupied, BC Housing will make sure that you THINK the sites are fully utilized and that the money wasn't wasted.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#22787 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

I have heard of this before. Being surrounded by four walls wigs them out. Some sleep on their balcony. Maybe not all mental illness, just a severe anxiety. Most I think get over it. 

Look, people are paying nearly half a million dollars to live in condos where they can touch opposing walls with outstretched arms.  It can't be all that bad being surrounded by walls...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22788 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

UVIC will be in full swing.  The hundreds of new "residence".  Helps and Issit will be doing high fives about warehousing the homeless.

Don't lower your guard.  Can you imagine the devastation if they get back in with a new agenda?

A new mandate is frightful, and the existing agenda is bad enough.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#22789 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Stephanie Hardman is fighting to keep 7x24 camping going....

Attached Images

• hardman.JPG

#22790 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

Of course she is...

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#22791 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:48 PM

why is it soo hard for those like stefanie hardman to understand that there is not simply endless space, and endless apartment buildings and condos and hotels to continually place people into.. in general Victoria proper has a very small footprint of space and there isn't empty fields for endless housing... even the other municipalities in the crd don't have endless amount of space to keep popping up housing...

and also why do we have to keep providing permanent housing for these people just because they come here and camp?! wasn't the whole point of allowing people to put up a tent was due to lack of shelter space? to me that picture looks like it provides separated shelter space for each individual (there won't be a different person in the pod next to you every night) and that's what the tent ruling was all about  shelter... it was never about permanent housing...and what is the end goal with the permanent housing...

what makes a person want to change their lives, move on and become a positive member of society again if everything is provided and life is easy (with your own room and a door that shuts behind you)

• LJ, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#22792 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

what makes a person want to change their lives, move on and become a positive member of society

I don't know, but I'm waiting for Ben and Company to do just that...

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#22793 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:17 PM

None of these events were crimes or resulted in a call to police, so according to the news and council, I must have been perceiving things that weren't there. And for the record, as of this morning, there were as many tents in Irving Park and Beacon Hill Park as at any time since council let them in, so I don't know what the mayor is talking about.

oh well.  we tried.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 07:18 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#22794 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:22 PM

Residents shocked by shelter

Residents in Vic West in Victoria were surprised as campers sheltering in Victoria parks began moving into their neighbourhood this week.

CTV News Vancouver Island is reporting the new Russell Street shelter in Vic West is now open and will house up to 60 people in individual pods.

One Vic West resident says the shelter opening was a surprise.

“This is a shock to us still,” said Tony Young, adding that the community is bracing for the worst.

“There are things that are going to happen and there’s probably going to be more criminal activity,” said Young. “Drug use and so forth and we’re concerned about that.”

“Approximately 106 people are waiting to move into shelters on Russell Street, tiny homes and a few other spaces here and there,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps.

Helps says after recent violent incidents in Victoria parks, getting everyone housed can’t come soon enough.

“When people are not living in parks, it doesn’t attract the kind of violence that can happen,” said Helps. “The inside opportunities can’t come soon enough from everyone’s perspective, including mine.”

https://www.castanet...est-in-Victoria

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 07:23 PM.

#22795 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

^ The Russell Street facility experienced their first overdose less than two hours of opening the door.

#22796 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:41 PM

^ The Russell Street facility experienced their first overdose less than two hours of opening the door.

That was quick... i wonder if it's a new record

#22797 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:13 AM

proof it's working! 1 life saved already. you need to move quickly to eliminate the stigma.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 May 2021 - 02:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#22798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:14 AM

They should go to work like the rest of us

I object to the B.C. government using my hard-earned money to purchase hotels and spend copious hordes of money to refurbish them just so we can house the layabouts.

The crowning blow is supplying them with three meals a day. As far as I’m concerned, they should give them a bus ticket to ship them off to where they came from.

I went to school and college, got a good job and was a success, I might add, to earn my way in this world of ours. From my side of the fence, these recalcitrant squatters that are desecrating our parks should be sent flying.

They have no ambition as far as I can see. On top of all this, the city has to deal with their chosen habit of doing drugs; isn’t that enough?

Certainly it’s not a great image for the beautiful garden city of Victoria. When will the government run out of money and hotels to buy to house these individuals, because if they are not nipped in the bud, they will just keep coming and coming, year in, year out, to squat in our parks.

It’s a Catch-22 situation, in my opinion.

Richard Brown
Cobble Hill

https://www.timescol...lost-1.24315269

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 May 2021 - 05:14 AM.

• JimV likes this

#22799 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:16 AM

Beacon Hill campers a sign of things to come

The Times Colonist could not have planned a series of news stories better designed to infuriate Victorians than the recent reports this week.

First, we have the fool who drove an unregistered, uninsured car from Alberta to camp in a Victoria park and ended up doing doughnuts in a James Bay park, where he was arrested. Oh great, now our parks are a known camping destination.

Then we have Saturday’s report of Beacon Hill campers who don’t intend to leave. One woman (“Potato”) can’t figure out how to live indoors since graduating from high school four years ago.

This is followed by Max, who’s repairing bicycles in his tent because he can’t do that in an apartment or hotel room, and besides, he’s living rent-free. Talk about self-entitled. And is he being given free meals each day?

These are not the homeless; they’re people with a chosen lifestyle — the same as those illegally camped in RVs in the park and on the road.

It’s not the meek who shall inherit the Earth, it’s the entitled, and they’ve already inherited Beacon Hill Park.

Winston Jackson
Fairfield

https://www.timescol...lost-1.24315269

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 May 2021 - 05:17 AM.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and JimV like this

#22800 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:51 AM

Nancy is one of about 10 people who moved into the shelter on its opening day, and more were trickling in Tuesday morning. Outreach workers welcomed them with intake forms, going over the shelter’s rules barring physical violence, weapons, sexual harassment, verbal abuse and drug use in a two-block radius outside of the ­property, among other expectations.

Our Place staff are planning on assembling a “clean team” of shelter residents who are interested in picking up litter from the surrounding neighbourhood, and two people have already expressed interest, Mingo said.

Shelter design and ­management are aimed at mitigating the risk of drug overdose, with communal areas where people are encouraged to use in the presence of someone else and shower doors that include a small communication area that allows staff to speak to and hear residents inside without seeing them.

Staff will check on people using the shower units after 10 minutes, and if they don’t get a response, they’ll go inside to see how they’re doing, Mingo said.

Our Place staff will be on site 24/7, and outreach workers from PEERS Victoria Resources Society and AVI Health and Community Services will provide some daytime harm-reduction support.

Residents are also asked to provide information about what substances they use, how they use them and how often, to give staff a sense of residents’ baselines and what signs of distress to look out for.

While the shelter has space for about 70 people, the ­capacity is currently limited by the ­province to 30, Mingo said.

https://www.timescol...oors-1.24315266

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 May 2021 - 05:52 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users