Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
22869 replies to this topic

#22781 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:27 PM

Victoria’s new Russell Street Transitional Shelter opened Monday (May 3).

And its best feature of all: it's not in my 'hood.  :banana: 

(don't worry, we have 3 others)

#22782 tommy

tommy
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

I think Stirling is wildly optimistic if he thinks council will be held to account by the mush brained voters of Victoria.  By October 2022 most of them will have forgotten everything and will tick their ballots based on name recognition, as usual.  Even during the byelection only 17% of them bothered to vote. And that clearly was an unusually important election.  Unless an organized, credible opposition appears within the next 8-12 months we’ll probably have this sorry band of fools for another four years.

from 2014...but might as well ahve been written yesterday...90% of the time municipal incumbents are re-elected...that's just the way it is

https://torontoist.c...cy-for-the-win/

gives a good take on what it takes to unseat an incumbent - organization, money, and a grass roots ground game

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#22783 tommy

tommy
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

from 2014...but might as well ahve been written yesterday...90% of the time municipal incumbents are re-elected...that's just the way it is

https://torontoist.c...cy-for-the-win/

gives a good take on what it takes to unseat an incumbent - organization, money, and a grass roots ground game

more reading 

https://www.cambridg...025806FB9189CE5

#22784 tommy

tommy
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

so, barring some unusual behaviour by the electorate, we can expect 7.2 of 8 councillors to be re-elected

last civic election was an odd duck - 2 incumbents did not run and 1 was defeated (madoff)

notably, a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

#22785 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:31 PM

... a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

And have been actively destroying the CoV since election day.

But you're right, they will probably be re-elected,

#22786 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

so, barring some unusual behaviour by the electorate, we can expect 7.2 of 8 councillors to be re-elected

last civic election was an odd duck - 2 incumbents did not run and 1 was defeated (madoff)

notably, a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

UVIC will be in full swing.  The hundreds of new "residence".  Helps and Issit will be doing high fives about warehousing the homeless.

Don't lower your guard.  Can you imagine the devastation if they get back in with a new agenda?

• grantpalin, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#22787 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 21,783 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:26 AM

For some, making the move indoors is a challenge.

Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.

Beland said staying indoors reminds him of his time spent in prison. “I don’t like that door closed and the walls around me.”

https://www.timescol...pens-1.24314722

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 02:27 AM.

#22788 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:37 AM

...Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.....

This is why CoV bylaws need to be enforced, so that these "communities" no longer exist in city parks.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22789 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.

Beland said staying indoors reminds him of his time spent in prison. “I don’t like that door closed and the walls around me.”

https://www.timescol...pens-1.24314722

We bought him a secure apartment and it's still not good enough?

Here come the excuses!

... Reminds me of prison

... I miss my 'community'

It's pretty obvious by now, until we buy them granite countertops and jacuzzi tubs with stream showers in tony Uplands they'll never be happy.

Edited by kitty surprise, 04 May 2021 - 06:09 AM.

#22790 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 21,783 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:59 AM

these people are - on the whole - mentally ill.   almost all of them.    

• A Girl is No one and TFord like this

#22791 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 15,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:25 AM

I have heard of this before. Being surrounded by four walls wigs them out. Some sleep on their balcony. Maybe not all mental illness, just a severe anxiety. Most I think get over it. 

• rmpeers likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#22792 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:33 AM

these people are - on the whole - mentally ill.   almost all of them.     

This is why "housing first" is a failed policy. Many of the homeless need mental health supports that the current model simply does not provide.

• grantpalin, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#22793 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:03 AM

Severe anxiety is classified as a mental health condition. I see that some people are protesting the facility in Central Saanich. They are right to be worried. There are no real supports in this facilities. Harm reduction supplies for sure, but not much else. 

• Nparker likes this

#22794 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,086 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:14 AM

Might have been a good idea to get this information BEFORE BC Housing spent $100M on rooms for people who don't want them. Don't worry though, like the Rehab centre in View Royal that had 3 out of 50 rooms occupied, BC Housing will make sure that you THINK the sites are fully utilized and that the money wasn't wasted.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#22795 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 19,685 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

I have heard of this before. Being surrounded by four walls wigs them out. Some sleep on their balcony. Maybe not all mental illness, just a severe anxiety. Most I think get over it. 

Look, people are paying nearly half a million dollars to live in condos where they can touch opposing walls with outstretched arms.  It can't be all that bad being surrounded by walls...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22796 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

UVIC will be in full swing.  The hundreds of new "residence".  Helps and Issit will be doing high fives about warehousing the homeless.

Don't lower your guard.  Can you imagine the devastation if they get back in with a new agenda?

A new mandate is frightful, and the existing agenda is bad enough.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#22797 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Stephanie Hardman is fighting to keep 7x24 camping going....

Attached Images

• hardman.JPG

#22798 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 19,685 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

Of course she is...

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#22799 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:48 PM

why is it soo hard for those like stefanie hardman to understand that there is not simply endless space, and endless apartment buildings and condos and hotels to continually place people into.. in general Victoria proper has a very small footprint of space and there isn't empty fields for endless housing... even the other municipalities in the crd don't have endless amount of space to keep popping up housing...

and also why do we have to keep providing permanent housing for these people just because they come here and camp?! wasn't the whole point of allowing people to put up a tent was due to lack of shelter space? to me that picture looks like it provides separated shelter space for each individual (there won't be a different person in the pod next to you every night) and that's what the tent ruling was all about  shelter... it was never about permanent housing...and what is the end goal with the permanent housing...

what makes a person want to change their lives, move on and become a positive member of society again if everything is provided and life is easy (with your own room and a door that shuts behind you)

• LJ, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#22800 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 19,685 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

what makes a person want to change their lives, move on and become a positive member of society

I don't know, but I'm waiting for Ben and Company to do just that...

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users

sebberry, Rob Randall