Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25923 replies to this topic

#22761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

We also have a former seniors lodge in Oak Bay getting razed in lightening speed.
  • A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22762 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

We also have a former seniors lodge in Oak Bay getting razed in lightening speed.

UVIC is empty....tons of rooms there.

• Nparker, spanky123, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#22763 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:46 AM

That's the David Shebib property. I don't know if he rents it or owns it.

He was a renter... but not anymore.

#22764 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

UVIC is empty....tons of rooms there. 

You'd have thought the woke folks at UVic would have been offering up their vacant accommodations since the pandemic began. It reminds me of the relatively quick removal of the encampment at Centennial Square. It seems the "truly compassionate" are at heart NIMBYs.

• A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#22765 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

That's the David Shebib property. I don't know if he rents it or owns it.

I think I got this wrong. Shebib rented across from the Observatory road in the 5000 block. I think Spanky123 is referring to another residence closer to Prospect Lake in the 5100 block. It’s another real mess.

#22766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:07 PM

Ah, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22767 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:15 PM

No homeless services nearby and relatively few property theft opportunities too. Not sure what to make of it.

#22768 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

You'd have thought the woke folks at UVic would have been offering up their vacant accommodations since the pandemic began. 

I find it really bizarre that this hasn't come up long ago.  As UVIC moves away from traditional acidemia towards social activism, they have generated a large activist component. You would expect those activists to be chaining themselves to the front door in hopes of fixing housing and poverty. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22769 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

• Nparker likes this

#22770 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:57 PM

I think Stirling is wildly optimistic if he thinks council will be held to account by the mush brained voters of Victoria.  By October 2022 most of them will have forgotten everything and will tick their ballots based on name recognition, as usual.  Even during the byelection only 17% of them bothered to vote. And that clearly was an unusually important election.  Unless an organized, credible opposition appears within the next 8-12 months we’ll probably have this sorry band of fools for another four years.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and newbie_01 like this

#22771 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:02 PM

I think Stirling is wildly optimistic if he thinks council will be held to account by the mush brained voters of Victoria.  By October 2022 most of them will have forgotten everything and will tick their ballots based on name recognition, as usual.  Even during the byelection only 17% of them bothered to vote. And that clearly was an unusually important election.  Unless an organized, credible opposition appears within the next 8-12 months we’ll probably have this sorry band of fools for another four years.

i suspect you are right.

although i think dubow will be booted.  probably by TV before the election maybe too.

#22772 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

Victoria’s new Russell Street Transitional Shelter opened Monday (May 3) to the first 30 campers moving out of city parks. With room for 60 residents, the facility at 225 Russell St. features individual and couple pods, plus laundry, washrooms, showers, three meals per day, outdoor courtyard, two overdose prevention strategies, 24/7 staff and 24/7 security.

with VIDEO:  https://www.vicnews....tional-shelter/

#22773 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:27 PM

Victoria’s new Russell Street Transitional Shelter opened Monday (May 3).

And its best feature of all: it's not in my 'hood.  :banana: 

(don't worry, we have 3 others)

#22774 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

from 2014...but might as well ahve been written yesterday...90% of the time municipal incumbents are re-elected...that's just the way it is

https://torontoist.c...cy-for-the-win/

gives a good take on what it takes to unseat an incumbent - organization, money, and a grass roots ground game

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#22775 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

from 2014...but might as well ahve been written yesterday...90% of the time municipal incumbents are re-elected...that's just the way it is

https://torontoist.c...cy-for-the-win/

gives a good take on what it takes to unseat an incumbent - organization, money, and a grass roots ground game

more reading 

https://www.cambridg...025806FB9189CE5

#22776 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

so, barring some unusual behaviour by the electorate, we can expect 7.2 of 8 councillors to be re-elected

last civic election was an odd duck - 2 incumbents did not run and 1 was defeated (madoff)

notably, a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

#22777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:31 PM

... a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

And have been actively destroying the CoV since election day.

But you're right, they will probably be re-elected,

#22778 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

so, barring some unusual behaviour by the electorate, we can expect 7.2 of 8 councillors to be re-elected

last civic election was an odd duck - 2 incumbents did not run and 1 was defeated (madoff)

notably, a well-organized, well funded, slate of 3 successfully grabbed all three seats

UVIC will be in full swing.  The hundreds of new "residence".  Helps and Issit will be doing high fives about warehousing the homeless.

Don't lower your guard.  Can you imagine the devastation if they get back in with a new agenda?

• grantpalin, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#22779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,839 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:26 AM

For some, making the move indoors is a challenge.

Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.

Beland said staying indoors reminds him of his time spent in prison. “I don’t like that door closed and the walls around me.”

https://www.timescol...pens-1.24314722

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 02:27 AM.

#22780 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:37 AM

...Ronald Beland got the keys to a bachelor apartment in supportive housing last week, but he’s decided to continue sleeping outdoors temporarily so he can look out for the community that remains in Stadacona Park.....

This is why CoV bylaws need to be enforced, so that these "communities" no longer exist in city parks.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users