• 606 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:32 AM

I would disagree.

Making money isn’t the goal.

#23282 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:35 AM

Yes. Most comes from the federal government. Individual faculty are awarded funds and the university administers it. Prime earners for UVIC are the engineering and business programs.

Doesn’t the academic community depend on research funding?

#23283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,003 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:35 AM

almost every university tries to attract international students.

for one reason only. not to be altruistic or worldly or educate foreigners on our ways.

they recruit them because they pay much more.

In his 2018 article, Canada’s growing reliance on international students, Alex Usher, President of Higher Education Strategy Associates, a consulting firm based in Toronto, explains that “fees for international students, which average about four times what domestic students pay, now equal 12 percent of operating revenue and 35 percent of all fees collected by institutions, and these proportions continue to climb. Already some major institutions, including the University of Toronto, are receiving more money from international students than they get in operating grants from their provincial governments.”

http://uwimprint.ca/...r-tuition-fees/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 October 2021 - 04:40 AM.

#23284 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:59 AM

And then there’s the international student business, right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23285 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:27 AM

As a former UVic employee, I would say that is certainly true in the sciences. That was part of my job - to oversee those accounts.

#23286 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:33 AM

I should add that money goes just to the researcher, for their use, to pay for equipment, research assistants, etc. Doesn't help UVic at all to pay for buildings, other infrastructure or even my salary.

#23287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:34 AM

I get calls for donations, and letters for donations, with some frequency. Although I do think the calls have waned but the letters are more frequent? I’m not sure, but the university is most definitely in constant pursuit of private donations.

They also have a property division and are developing a downtown hotel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23288 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:00 AM

Sustainability of a high quality (yes, I'm aware many don't think UVic is high quality) research and academic university is the goal. There are no shareholders to give 'money made' to. So no, making money is not the goal, and can't be for UVic administrators and staff.

Money in goes to capital and operational costs.

Faculty of course, are a different breed. Typically its faculty positions or actions people are complaining about here.

#23289 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

Last time I checked UVIC had about $700M in investments and made $40M a year in profit. As Redd said, the research money goes to the researcher but UVIC benefits reputationally. 

The big bucks are in international students. UBC and UVIC are now up to about 30-35% foreign students if I recall. Where people need to be looking is at entrance standards and if Canadian students with decent grades are being passed over for spots by foreign students with lower marks but fatter wallets. 

#23290 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:41 AM

Sustainability of a high quality (yes, I'm aware many don't think UVic is high quality) research and academic university is the goal. There are no shareholders to give 'money made' to. So no, making money is not the goal, and can't be for UVic administrators and staff.
Money in goes to capital and operational costs.

Faculty of course, are a different breed. Typically its faculty positions or actions people are complaining about here.

Have tu read « research » coming out of UVic humanities lately? 🤓

#23291 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

Sure, but that speaks to my last point.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23292 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

On Wednesday I sent a report to bylaw about the guy who had been camping in Irving Park for three days.  They responded and left me a phone message about how they had advised him of the rules, gave him info and told him he could enjoy the park during the day.  All good, but by Friday afternoon he was back, this time with more stuff, including furniture and an exercise bike (!!!) outside his tent.  I filed another report, we’ll see what happens.

Makes me wonder if there are any consequences to repeatedly violating the camping bylaw.  Is there a fine?  Can the junk be seized or impounded?  If not, what’s to stop someone from just setting up again as soon as bylaw leaves?

• Nparker, spanky123, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#23293 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:19 PM

An update:  I got an email from bylaw today saying they had attended, given a verbal warning, allowed time for him to collect his stuff and provided sheltering information.  That seems a bit redundant since I’m pretty sure it was the same guy (same tent) and they didn’t exactly say he was gone, but that was the implication.  I’ll check later.

I am fairly impressed at how quickly they respond to complaints.  In both cases it was early the next day.

#23294 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:20 PM

Checked.  He and his debris field are indeed gone (at least for now.)  It’s a little disappointing that I seem to have to been the only one who filed a complaint.  Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people must have walked or driven by this week.  Did they think the squatter was just going to go away by himself or are they too cowed anymore to care?  Anyway, bylaw was on it.  I suggest that if you notice any similar violations in your neighbourhood you report it immediately.

• Nparker, SimonH, Love the rock and 4 others like this

#23295 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:59 AM

He’s back.  Tent was up at 8:19 this morning.  I filed another complaint.  After enduring the camping scourge last year I have a personal zero tolerance policy.

This raises the issue again of how many violations will they tolerate before taking further action.  I suspect that different bylaw officers may have attended each time so they may not realize he’s a repeat offender.  I doubt that they take names when they roust someone.  If that’s the case they have an operational problem.

• Nparker, SimonH, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23296 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:33 AM

^ Your problem is that the bylaw officer is just the middleperson. He/she is doing their job by rousting the offender but then they answer to 'leadership' who may have an alternate agenda. I suspect that the 4th wave and start of the rainy season are the perfect opportunity for the poverty pimps and council to extort more money from us. How long until tents start popping up on Pandora and in parks again?

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23297 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:25 PM

^ Your problem is that the bylaw officer is just the middleperson. He/she is doing their job by rousting the offender but then they answer to 'leadership' who may have an alternate agenda.

I would love someone on the inside to show the city's processes for Bylaw - would be fascinating to see if/how it connects back to reporting - and ultimately policy change.

#23298 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

He’s back.  Tent was up at 8:19 this morning.  I filed another complaint.

Is this your guy?

18A7C1D9-CD51-4693-8B0B-2A11E27A6BC6.jpeg

Here is another genius in the same park only no tent. Just a bed and a crack pipe.

FFB6B03C-A783-455A-BD0F-9DCF13AE4583.jpeg

DE88F9C5-F059-4A9B-BCC8-D3AF794ED615.jpeg
  • newbie_01 likes this

#23299 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

Yep, that’s the guy.  He was still there at around 4pm.  Maybe bylaw doesn’t work on Sundays?

• Barrrister likes this

#23300 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:39 PM

The picture was taken around 2:30 PM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users