Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#23341 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:45 PM

It's about control. Keeping the masses afraid is a great way of achieving that.

Bang on!

#23342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:48 PM

The guy writing this book seems bang on with the homeless issues.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/0063093626

You can hear him speak on the topic here with Dave Rubin. The first 20 minutes anyway.

https://youtu.be/5DpUOLe5S_I

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2021 - 12:50 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23343 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:42 PM

I don’t know if I could stomach actually reading the book, but the blurb seems right on - some people are considered victims who are entitled to destructive behaviours.  We certainly see a lot of that, and not just with the so-called homeless either.

• phx, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#23344 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:40 PM

Comment: Complex care will help those with challenging needs

A commentary by the mayors of Saanich, Victoria, Kelowna, Richmond, Kamloops, New Westminster, Prince George, Nanaimo, Coquitlam and Vancouver.

We’re on the brink of winter. Some of our most vulnerable residents, with the most complex needs, are still out on our streets, even as the winds howl and the winter rains and snow will soon start to fall.

These residents aren’t able to live successfully in the ­existing supportive housing options. Their needs are too high. They require more support than what is currently available, making their housing retention rates low.

In some cases, their ­behaviour can be so disruptive that it affects other residents and puts housing staff in dangerous situations. Ultimately, this can end in an eviction and ­creates a cycle where they end up back on our streets.

More...

https://www.timescol...g-needs-4706333

#23345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:50 PM

This is only being discovered now? After years of "housing first" (and last), the powers that be are acknowledging that the one-size-fits-all policy doesn't really work?

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23346 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:54 PM

there is always another excuse for these miscreants.

These residents aren’t able to live successfully in the ­existing supportive housing options. Their needs are too high. They require more support than what is currently available, making their housing retention rates low.

In some cases, their ­behaviour can be so disruptive that it affects other residents and puts housing staff in dangerous situations. Ultimately, this can end in an eviction and ­creates a cycle where they end up back on our streets.

This critical health issue is compounded by the fact that even when people with obvious needs commit a crime — sometimes as a plea for help — they are released back into the community without any supports. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 01:56 PM.

#23347 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 02:08 PM

This is only being discovered now? After years of "housing first" (and last), the powers that be are acknowledging that the one-size-fits-all policy doesn't really work?

I personally told Helps and council exactly that years ago. They didn’t listen. I wasn’t talking about my feelings or reading a crystal ball: We had clear results from other jurisdictions who were years ahead of us on that approach! Nope, we had to copy what they did, and got the exact same results. Grrr
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#23348 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:33 PM

Gee...if we had only followed Lisa Helps suggestion and invited them into our homes.
  • Nparker, LJ, phx and 4 others like this

#23349 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:38 PM

I learned a little bit about how bylaw operates today.  Nearly every day I file a complaint about daytime campers in Irving Park.  Bylaw always responds and gets back to me but I usually miss their calls.

Today, however, I spoke to the officer who called.  She told me there were three tents there (two had apparently set up after I filed my complaint) but they refused to leave.  She said in those circumstances they have no power to do anything without the police present.  When the police do attend they are able to impound the camping gear and the police will arrest anyone who resists.  That is supposed to happen tomorrow, though I imagine the campers will comply rather than have their stuff seized.

It’s a sorry situation when police resources have to be used to enforce the compliance of these feral vagrants (aka Victoria’s most vulnerable.)  

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23350 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 07:14 PM

^ Getting their gear seized is not an issue, they just go to Our Place and get a new set for free. Easier than washing it when it gets dirty! 

#23351 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:32 AM

Maybe so, but is at least a big inconvenience.  They’ve got their stolen bike and all their other junk.

Meanwhile, maybe the police did come to Irving Park today.  I drove past around noon and all tents were gone.

#23352 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:43 PM

Reports that the Gorge Road Howard Johnson is on fire.

#23353 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:02 PM

Reports that the Gorge Road Howard Johnson is on fire.

Any links to the story?

#23354 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:06 AM

Any further info on this fire?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23355 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:17 AM

Any further info on this fire?

According to facebook, the flames were knocked down around 11 last night.  Guessing it was contained to a room.

#23356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:21 AM

That could have turned out terribly. The B-G neighbourhood needs a break.
  • Seechelle1969 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23357 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:11 AM

That could have turned out terribly. The B-G neighbourhood needs a break.

I think it was intentional, BC Housing just wants an excuse to buy another hotel in the area!

• Seechelle1969 likes this

#23358 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:29 AM

That could have turned out terribly.

We already knew this would happen.   We all know this will continue to happen.  Everyone knows Victoria's implementation of "housing first" is ridiculously simplistic. 

Helps, Isitt, Potts and Dubow went ahead anyways and the obvious has happened.....repeatedly.  

Helps has started to walk it back, but the others have not.  This is on them and they need to take responsibility.  

Next up....Potts and her incorrect version of Cahoots.  We all know it will result in dead social workers.  The blood will be on her hands.

Edited by On the Level, 03 November 2021 - 07:32 AM.

#23359 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:34 AM

Minneapolis voters have rejected replacing their police force.
  • On the Level and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#23360 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:46 AM

Minneapolis voters have rejected replacing their police force.

And even if they had, we all know it would turn into a nightmare resulting in the police force being reinstated.  2020/21 has been a period where emotion has let the simpletons gain control.  It won't last. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users