Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#23401 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone want to bet on whether we do a PiT count this winter/spring?

Of course they will and the numbers of people homeless and living rough will be exactly what the UVIC count organizers want them to be. Large enough to get money but not too large that people think the problem cannot be resolved. They do this simply by deciding how many people are going to participate in the count and where they are going to count. Too many people show up to count and you just send them to count at BHP in the pitch dark. Too few people and you send more off to housing facilities where maybe they will double count a few extra people.

I have participated in the counts as I have said before. The number one thing that most people don't realize is that what PIT counts as 'homeless' is not what most people consider to be 'homeless'. Most of us think homeless means living on the street. Historically those have been 10% of less of what the PIT folks count and they call "living rough". The PIT folks count anyone without a permanent place of their own to live as being homeless. That means anyone living with a friends, living in a hotel or shelter (no matter how long), anyone in treatment or jail, etc.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 02:27 PM

While I’m not generally in favour of the homeless being hired to work in the shelters, surely some of our 2,500+ homeless people could be put to work where we have staff shortages.
  • Teardrop likes this

#23403 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:13 PM

While I’m not generally in favour of the homeless being hired to work in the shelters, surely some of our 2,500+ homeless people could be put to work where we have staff shortages.

I have a Visio ready to go with detailed process to comprehensively triage and categorize people experiencing homelessness.

We know many are supremely functional. There are zero legitimate reasons they cannot be put to work.

Effective triaging needed.
  • Nparker, LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#23404 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:00 PM

...Effective triaging needed.

:thumbsup:

#23405 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:41 AM

On Salt Spring Island, where housing has always been scarce, a small, aging hotel is at the centre of a crisis.

Salt Spring Island Community Services desperately needs the 18-room Seabreeze Inne to continue housing the 20 vulnerable people who came out of tents in the bush and off the streets during the pandemic.

But the Island’s only hospital, Lady Minto, wants the Seabreeze to house its staff, as it struggles to fill 31 vacant positions — everything from cleaning staff and cooks to technicians and nurses — on an island where vacant housing is “simply non-existent.”

https://www.timescol...-crisis-4796521

Some of you may recognize the ED of the hospital foundation here, she was ED of the Fernwood NRG back in its heyday. This person gets **** done.

Edited by Matt R., 28 November 2021 - 12:46 AM.

#23406 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:44 AM

No brainer. Hospital staff get the rooms since they cannot relocate to another location.

The hospital foundation raised over $10 million to fund building a new emergency department. Many of us asked the question, “that’s great, but who’s going to work there”. Now we know what the solution to that is.
  • Nparker likes this

#23407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:35 AM

As she looks back on her career, Graham said one of her best moves was closing shop downtown and focusing on the neighbourhood boutique in ­Cordova Bay.

At the time it was about cutting back on her stress and freeing up her time, but she believes it was also prescient and she avoided some of the problems that would develop in the core — everything from the sheer number of highrise buildings going up to people living on the street and what feels like a dwindling number of small local boutiques.

“I look back on it and it seems that was not a bad plan. I’m really distressed about our downtown,” she said. “I go down once a month to get my hair done and I will walk around and it’s so discouraging, it just makes me sad.”

https://www.timescol...is-time-4805047

• Barrrister likes this

#23408 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:58 AM

As she looks back on her career, Graham said one of her best moves was closing shop downtown and focusing on the neighbourhood boutique in ­Cordova Bay.

At the time it was about cutting back on her stress and freeing up her time, but she believes it was also prescient and she avoided some of the problems that would develop in the core — everything from the sheer number of highrise buildings going up to people living on the street and what feels like a dwindling number of small local boutiques.

“I look back on it and it seems that was not a bad plan. I’m really distressed about our downtown,” she said. “I go down once a month to get my hair done and I will walk around and it’s so discouraging, it just makes me sad.”

https://www.timescol...is-time-4805047

Do you think our city mayor and council will actually hear this, or once again just dismiss it as a wrong opinion?
  • Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#23409 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:34 PM

Traffic through the 3200-block of Douglas Street has been suspended as Saanich and Victoria Police Departments undergo an investigation said Saanich constable Markus Anastasiades.

The police ask that the public avoid the area, as the intersections of Cloverdale and Douglas Streets near the Mayfield Shopping Center have been blocked off. “The incident is contained (and) no risk to the public,” said Saanich police in a Tweet.

https://www.vicnews....lice-activity/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2021 - 01:35 PM.

#23410 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:56 PM

Do you think our city mayor and council will actually hear this, or once again just dismiss it as a wrong opinion?

Wrong opinion.

#23411 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:59 PM

The mayor doesn’t hear anything. She wears an invisible set of headphones listening to peaceful music of her imagery city . 
Adam Sterling said something to the effect that .  We’re all just pieces of a chess game played by the COV . It’s just a game where little concern is given to the actual pieces . 

#23412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:47 AM

I did some shopping downtown on Friday and each retailer, or cashier at a bigger/national store, when asked how business has been would lead the conversation into crime, and how it's affecting their business.

I was at a watch store and when trying on a watch, every human resource was on me, watching, to make sure I don't run with the piece. Meanwhile, as this was happening, they were already following a known thief who was in the store. The apparent thief, meanwhile, was looking up at me, possibly thinking I was the LPO, and trying to duck away from me. What a day.

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:49 AM

The mayor doesn’t hear anything. She wears an invisible set of headphones listening to peaceful music of her imagery city . 
Adam Sterling said something to the effect that .  We’re all just pieces of a chess game played by the COV . It’s just a game where little concern is given to the actual pieces . 

There was the crime ring operating outside the mayor's ground floor office in Centennial Square, that's for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:53 AM

There was the crime ring operating outside the mayor's ground floor office in Centennial Square...

There's a crime ring operating inside the mayor's office as well.  <_<

• A Girl is No one, Vicrazy and Barrrister like this

#23415 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:04 AM

Somehow, I knew that was going to be nparkers comment. I wonder why?  :teacher:

• Nparker, Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

#23416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:39 AM

Somehow, I knew that was going to be nparkers comment. I wonder why? 

Because I speak the truth.

#23417 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:49 AM

65 days!
  • Nparker likes this

#23418 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:10 PM

65 days!

2-2-2022?

Edited by tommy, 29 November 2021 - 07:13 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#23419 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:22 PM

2-2-2022?

Exactly!

• Matt R. likes this

#23420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:58 PM

Victoria will provide daytime warming centres for those experiencing homelessness during extreme weather events this winter.

A lack of places where the city’s homeless could find refuge from extreme cold and wet conditions during the day was identified as a gap in the current Emergency Weather Response Plan. That strategy sees BC Housing fund service organizations to open additional overnight shelter beds when the elements pose a risk to vulnerable people’s health and safety.

“We have recognized extreme weather as a hazard that is increasing in frequency and severity, which is why we have turned our attention to it,” said Tanya Patterson, the city’s emergency program coordinator, during a Nov. 25 committee of the whole meeting.

https://www.vicnews....eather-events/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2021 - 03:59 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users