Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#23521 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:58 PM

It is a bit odd, to see the mayor represent this group of mayors.

It's pretty bewildering, from the 'bring it on' mayor.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23522 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:05 PM

It is a bit odd, to see the mayor represent this group of mayors. It's pretty bewildering, from the 'bring it on' mayor.

She's always been a hypocrite though, so this isn't really anything too shocking. Remember "I'd take a homeless person into my house, if it weren't for all those important papers lying around".  :whyme:

• mbjj, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#23523 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:21 PM

Ah, the important papers.

• Nparker, SimonH and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23524 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:34 PM

It is a bit odd, to see the mayor represent this group of mayors.

It's pretty bewildering, from the 'bring it on' mayor.

Not at all, she isn't saying that her policies have made matter worse, she is just wanting more money and more power.

• Mike K. and Barrrister like this

#23525 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 07:48 PM

Now if only all these mayors could get together with the provincial govt. and put all their money together and build a nice big secure facility where all those "hard to house" folks could go to get treatment and keep them safe.

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23526 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:45 PM

20:1 she ends up at a non profit social housing organization

Helps preparing her next career…
She always knew her policies brought mayhem to the city…

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#23527 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:48 PM

Now if only all these mayors could get together with the provincial govt. and put all their money together and build a nice big secure facility where all those "hard to house" folks could go to get treatment and keep them safe.

Something like this perhaps.

• LJ likes this

#23528 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:51 PM

...she ends up at a non profit social housing

She deserves to be sentenced to one for what she has done to the CoV since becoming mayor. 844 Johnson Street might be a good fit.

• Dexter and A Girl is No one like this

#23529 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:18 AM

Helps preparing her next career…
She always knew her policies brought mayhem to the city…

but she said "just one more hotel.. just one more hotel and we'll solve homelessness in this city!"... they got the hotel... we still have homelessness and now she's complaining about how it's suddenly all unmanageable how we're at a breaking point... haven't we the public been telling her this for years... BEFORE she welcomed 24/7 tenting in all the parks in Victoria, before all the hotels were purchased... but ohh no we couldn't have predicted this

• Nparker, spanky123, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#23530 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:36 AM

Yes. One more hotel. We let them run rampant and buy 8 hotels and other facilities and we still have people camping on Pandora and in parks. There are more homeless facilities along Douglas and Blanshard now than there are hotels.

Victoria has more homeless people per capital than any other city in North America.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2022 - 04:41 AM.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23531 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:01 AM

^Per capita, surely?

Source?  (Not disputing your assertion - just want to read more...)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#23532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:19 AM

Capita yes!

#23533 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:45 AM

although spelling is a problem... i have decided to start calling the CoV the  "Crapital City"

#23534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:46 AM

...i have decided to start calling the CoV the  "Crapital City"

Her Worseship will be pleased.

• Tom Braybrook likes this

#23535 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:59 AM

^ Well Helps has gone from "open up your homes to the homeless" and "housing first" to this.   That is a positive step, although it was totally avoidable.  What is missing from the article is what she is proposing.  I expect we will need to wade our way through more enablement (free drugs, etc.) to finally see it isn't working, then to have this group faced with difficult decisions that they should have made to begin with.  I'd give it another year until that happens.

“Residents with complex needs have overlapping mental health, substance use, trauma and acquired brain injuries and they are often left to experience homelessness,” the mayors said. “They do not fit into current supportive housing models

• Kungsberg likes this

#23536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:03 PM

You mean to say at least a few hundred of the thousands we have (temporarily) housed have not "stabilized" and moved on to market housing?  Surely all those hotels are not still full (?)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2022 - 12:04 PM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#23537 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

I have said this before but the feedback I have received time and time again from doing PIT interviews is that what the homeless want is their own place with no rules. I have not come across a single person who has said please commit me to an institution and force me to take my meds, clean up and get better. Since the supreme court has said that we cannot involuntarily commit people I don't see any improvement unless the court changes its mind.  Now you could help that decision along by pulling their taxpayer funded private security and personal drivers so that they can experience the impact of their actions like the rest of us.

In the mean time the sole purpose of these motions is to allow Helps to blame the problem on someone else. Next time someone asks about Victoria being a cesspool she will simply respond that she has asked the Province to deal with it and they haven't.

#23538 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:35 PM

Victoria has more homeless people per capita than any other city in North America.

Do you have a source for this? Exact numbers per capita seem hard to find. Count systems and who is counted as a homless person seems to vary. as well as the definition of the city region.

#23539 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:37 PM

Well there are thousands of other cities. Put up your best candidate. I’ll show you we are higher.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2022 - 12:37 PM.

#23540 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:03 PM

I’ll start here. Victoria has about 92,000 residents. I believe we have at least 2,000 homeless. Living on the streets or in shelters like 844 Johnson, 3020 Blanshard, 1961 Douglas, Our Place, Russel Street or Rock Bay landing.

So well over 2%. So over 2000 per 100,000 population.

I believe you will find no city even close.

https://www.security...ess-statistics/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2022 - 01:11 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users