Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25980 replies to this topic

#23881 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:16 PM

There was a large amount of smoke and fire alarm blaring from the tiny homes last night. I have video footage but it’s not allowing me to post on here. Not sure what they were doing but how many facilities do they get to ruin before we learn from our mistakes?
  • Nparker likes this

#23882 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 10:43 PM

I guess higher temperatures must exacerbate homelessness. The number of tents along the grassy medians of the 900 and 1000 blocks of Pandora (it's really difficult to call these areas a park) have increased visibly over the past 2 weeks...and there's no indication the city has any intention of enforcing overnight camping regulations.

#23883 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:41 AM

Cap Daily:

In its latest meeting council moved to restrict overnight camping in all but two parks, but Damian Kowalewich took the moment to call for a shelter on the Westshore. Of the six municipalities, only Sooke has a shelter for people experiencing homelessness.

"Part and parcel with the economy the way it’s going, this is an issue that is going nowhere. It’s gonna be around for a long time, probably getting worse, and it’s something I’d like you to put your minds to, including myself," he said.

In 2019 before the pandemic, View Royal bylaw had 17 complaints or files open about people camping in town parks. In 2020 that number rose to 22, and in 2021 to 38.

Mayor David Screech agreed, saying "It’s crazy that we don’t have [a shelter on the Westshore]."

#23884 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

The economy? Nobody who wants a job right now couldn't find employment.

#23885 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:07 AM

Mayor David Screech agreed, saying "It’s crazy that we don’t have [a shelter on the Westshore]."

Some might say you'd be crazy to want one.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#23886 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:08 AM

Just pack them up and move them to Victoria.

#23887 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:31 AM

https://youtube.com/...c?feature=share

Here’s the video from a neighbor
  • Matt R. likes this

#23888 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:39 AM

That’s a strange amount of white smoke.

#23889 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:45 AM

They seemed quite annoyed with the alarm blaring as were the neighbourhood and in no rush to exit the premise. But this is why some people can’t have nice “NEW” things. I’ve live a stone throws away from the homes and have never encountered so much theft, people roaming around in the middle of the night in my backyard looking for the next thing to pawn or trying my car doors on a nightly basis. Now, not saying it’s the people of this encampment stealing and such (could be) but it also attracts others in the same situation to our area. I’m in full support of helping them but this is not the way.
  • Wayne likes this

#23890 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:47 AM

Now I know where that buzzing/alarm sound was coming from on Saturday night. I should have known this irritation was related to one of the slums that have been dumped on my neighbourhood. Let's see; crime, noise and now air pollution. A real benefit to the community.

#23891 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:50 AM

... I live a stone throws away from the homes and have never encountered so much theft, people roaming around in the middle of the night in my backyard looking for the next thing to pawn or trying my car doors on a nightly basis. Now, not saying it’s the people of this encampment stealing and such (could be) but it also attracts others in the same situation to our area...

It's certainly not a coincidence.

#23892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:06 AM

Camping in the parks again, no enforcement

I recently notified Victoria Bylaw Services that contrary to the Supreme Court of B.C. ruling and Victoria council directives, camping was yet again occurring in Beacon Hill Park and Irving Park, James Bay.

I was told that they were too busy to deal with the issue. When did law enforcement become discretionary in Victoria?

Alan Humphries
Victoria

https://www.timescol...e-drive-5647590

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2022 - 07:07 AM.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#23893 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,534 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:20 AM

I think Alan is waking up…

#23894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:56 AM

As more unhoused turn to living in RVs, a call to allow use of parking lots

People living in recreational vehicles are struggling to find a place to park; bylaws restrict their options

https://www.timescol...ng-lots-5647579

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2022 - 07:57 AM.

#23895 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

When your home is mobile it can be driven to where appropriate parking is available. Public parking lots were never designed for long-term occupancy.

• Midnightly and Barrrister like this

#23896 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,534 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:23 AM

As more unhoused turn to living in RVs, a call to allow use of parking lots

People living in recreational vehicles are struggling to find a place to park; bylaws restrict their options

https://www.timescol...ng-lots-5647579

Allow them on people’s property in the city. Boom! Missing middle done.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#23897 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,351 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:23 AM

So… you want to say it’s ok for any rv to park on any one’s property? Or only your own (is that not allowed in CoV?)

#23898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:26 AM

So… you want to say it’s ok for any rv to park on any one’s property? Or only your own (is that not allowed in CoV?)

I think you can park an RV on any property (with the property owners permission).  But you cannot overnight in it, even at your own home.

#23899 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,534 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:28 AM

Anywhere. Get with it man! The Congress for the New Urbanism says zoning is dead and that there is too much inequity. We need to incorporate lower income people into more affluent areas. This would be an instant way to accomplish this. Maybe the city could also buy the RVs?
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#23900 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,534 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:29 AM

Just park them in the spot between the houses so it looks like the missing middle renderings.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users