Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#18521 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

...We are all in on Stephen Andrew this coming election. Others are welcome in 2022.

This.

• Greg, mbjj and Awaiting Juno like this

#18522 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

Even more tents at Douglas and Superior than there were on Friday. One tent on the Southgate stretch, in behind St. Anne's , is so close to the road it's almost in it. As it is, it's very close to where people walk, almost on the sidewalk. I would not feel comfortable walking there. Also there was a report on Facebook this morning that someone was shooting a BB gun at Douglas and Superior. Not sure it that is true or not.

#18523 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

Even more tents at Douglas and Superior than there were on Friday. One tent on the Southgate stretch, in behind St. Anne's , is so close to the road it's almost in it. As it is, it's very close to where people walk, almost on the sidewalk. I would not feel comfortable walking there. Also there was a report on Facebook this morning that someone was shooting a BB gun at Douglas and Superior. Not sure it that is true or not.

FAKE NEWS. Come on, the mayor said on twitter that everything is fine in the park. Who are you gonna believe, the VicPD and innumerable other reports, or your favourite mayor?
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#18524 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

After all of the other pellet gun incidents I thought we had come to an unspoken agreement that pellet guns were no big deal, as long as careless people don't walk or drive into the line of fire? Or unnecessarily place their homes and apartments in the line of fire?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#18525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:00 PM

To be fair, they're not all pellet gun incidents. There are also knives and arrows. How's a meager elected official supposed to consider so many variables?

• jsan, rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this

#18526 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

Fair enough. There are also quite a few genuine firearms in the mix as well. As long as they're used responsibly let's try not be busybodies about this stuff. Heck, Beacon Hill Park would be a great place for a shooting range. Beacon Hill Park would be a great place for pretty much anything other than a park.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to call the cops on the kids across the street because those water pistols they're running around with are way too discomforting for my tastes.

• mbjj likes this

#18527 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

Juno, could anything induce you to run for office?  Byelection coming up one of these days.  We could really use another adult on council to keep Geoff Young company.

Backing Stephen Andrew this byelection. 

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Greg and 2 others like this

#18528 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:47 AM

After all of the other pellet gun incidents I thought we had come to an unspoken agreement that pellet guns were no big deal, as long as careless people don't walk or drive into the line of fire? Or unnecessarily place their homes and apartments in the line of fire?

any word if pellet guns are deterring beacon hill birds?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2020 - 03:48 AM.

#18529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:50 AM

Heck, Beacon Hill Park would be a great place for a shooting range. 

that view royal archery group is looking for a new home.

https://archives.vic...int-rifle-range Clover Point rifle range

M00844_141.jpg

• On the Level likes this

#18530 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:49 AM

^ I have often wondered how much lead is sitting on the ocean floor around Clover Point.....

#18531 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:12 AM

Those who have signed the petition regarding camping in Beacon Hill Park can now follow up easily with an emailed letter to elected officials.  To do so just fill out the form found here! https://savebeaconhi...eJmyAQqQKxmRRrE

• Nparker, mbjj and Taj like this

#18532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:29 AM

The Wellburns Building has certainly seen better days.
  • GaryRanson likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18533 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:43 AM

any word if pellet guns are deterring beacon hill birds?

Well, some Peacocks have been moving out of the park...
And the poor giant blue herons must be wondering how their neighborhood got so bad so fast.
I just hope the birds are not used for target practice.

#18534 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

Actually we saw a young dead heron in the park the other day, near the playground. Target practice?

About ten days ago the side door of Wellburns had so much stuff in it you could barely walk by on the sidewalk. My husband was stopped at the light there and the panhandler guy got money from the three cars in front of him! Then last week we saw the city there cleaning up all the garbage.

#18535 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

A great deal of tagging has appeared on the SDA church on Pandora. 

#18536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:12 AM

Mayor Helps said last week that she wants people to stop taking pictures of campers and encampments.

Stirling is airing the quote on his show as we speak.

• Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18537 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

Mayor Helps said last week that she wants people to stop taking pictures of campers and encampments...

Sorry Lisa, if people are camping in public parks they shouldn't expect much privacy.

#18538 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

Bottom line - physically distanced, covid compatible SHELTER facilities are needed similar to what has been instituted at SOFMA.  What is occurring is not good for the park, its not good for the community, and its not good for the homeless.  Housing every homeless person is an admirable goal - however, the idea that it is instant and appropriate to do so for those who are capable of housing themselves is foolishness.

• Taj and rmpeers like this

#18539 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:15 AM

...Housing every homeless person is an admirable goal...

I agree; I am just not sure why all the homeless in Canada need to be housed in the CoV.

• Taj, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#18540 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

What is happening with the former juvenile detention facility in View Royal. If those spaces aren't being used, why are they not moving some of the campers there?

• Taj and Awaiting Juno like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users