Photo

STARBUCKS Coffee in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#101 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Ethically, that is admirable. These days we are far too disconnected from the meat we eat. Many people have forgotten where it comes from, and even fewer bother to ask its name.

The Major Cow (served at Milliway's) is very forthcoming in this regard:

The quadruped Dish of the Day is an Ameglian Major Cow, a species of dairy animal specifically bred to not only have the desire to be eaten, but to be capable of saying so quite clearly and distinctly. This quite vocal and emphatic desire to be consumed by Milliways' patrons greatly distresses Arthur Dent, and the Dish is nonplussed by a queasy Arthur's subsequent order of a green salad, since he knows "many vegetables that are very clear" on the point of not wanting to be eaten — which was part of the reason for the creation of the Ameglian Major Cow in the first place. After Zaphod orders four rare steaks, the Dish announces that he is nipping off to the kitchen to shoot himself, comforting Arthur only very slightly by stating that "I'll be very humane." (source)

PS: I think this thread is officially and seriously derailed -- if not deranged!

;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#102 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Nothing like a night at Milliway's and a few pan-galatic gargleblasters ;)

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

#104 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

6 x 9

#105 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

The Government @ Fisgard location shows as "Coming Soon" on the store locator at Starbucks.com.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

And a sign in the Government location beside Eddie Bauer states that Starbucks is having a career fair for their new "Chinatown" location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

I have not seen the usual buzz of activity at a Starbucks at this location since opening. I walk past almost every weekday and there is hardly anyone in there.

I seriously think they will close this one at some point as it will not bring in the money needed to be profitable. It will be a ghost town in the winter.

There time has come to slow it down.

#108 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Why would anyone buy a Starbucks coffee when Habit, Red Dragon Spiral Cafe, and Serious Coffee are all a stone throw's away.

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

That Centennial Square location is a lousy spot. The ground floor of that building is all wrong. Kudos to Starbucks for giving it a try. If they can't make it there then -- dare I say it -- nothing can.

#110 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

Star*uck's are closing tons of US stores, maybe they will have 2nd thoughts about this one.
I do rate them above Serious(ly Watery) Coffee, though.

#111 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Stop drinking whimpy roasts and drink Americanos if you find your coffee too watery.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

Americano, as in a heavily watered down shot of espresso?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

Where did I just see it written that you like the "light roasts" Mike? I am not sure I understand what you are getting at with the "watered down espresso." Or are you just being cute?

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

I do like light roasts but I find Americano's are significantly more watered down than a light roast coffee (light roast has more caffeine than dark roast). Americanos are basically a shot of espresso in a cup of water.

Know it all.

#115 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

Watery americanos are unfortunately the standard at many coffee shops.
But simply asking for less water can be the first step on a slippery slope....

Guy with neck-support: I'll have a decaf coffee.
Trudi: I'll have a decaf espresso.
Movie critic: I'll have a double decaf cappuccino.
Policeman: Give me decaffeinated coffee ice cream.
Harris: I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon.
Trudi: I'll have a twist of lemon.
Guy with neck-support: I'll have a twist of lemon.
Movie critic: I'll have a twist of lemon.
Cynthia: I'll have a twist of lemon.

#116 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

LA Story is such a great film. Thanks for bringing back the memory :)

#117 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Why would anyone buy a Starbucks coffee when Habit, Red Dragon Spiral Cafe, and Serious Coffee are all a stone throw's away.

Yes! What were they thinking? Starbucks however will directly compete in such areas with the aim of putting the competition out of business. This kind of thing happens a lot with Starbucks.

#118 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Americano is to coffee as Budweiser is to beer.
Americanos were invented in Europe because Americans couldn't handle real coffee.

#119 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

What's the Stella of coffees?

#120 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Nescafe.
Stella is to Belgian beer as CoffeeMate is to cream... and so it goes ;-)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users