BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Wilson Rd between Tyee and Bay is a nightmare on the weekends and for about an hour each day. Traffic getting out of Westside Village compounds the problem even more.

Describe "nightmare". Two or three light wait?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

I found this pre-development shot of the property over at Flickr:

The same photographer also has a picture of Astoria from when it was under construction.

#143 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

^Who needs a bunch of condos, when you have all the comforts of home right there!

#144 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

Today.

The working dock lands have really been cleaned up as well. They've installed an attractive wrought iron fence and some planting beds along the Harbour Road.

#145 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:55 AM

[url=http://www.docksidegreen.com/bottom/in-the-news/dockside-green-featured-on-tv.html:30f51]Dockside Green will be featured on the Nature Of Things this Sunday at 7pm on CBC TV.[/url:30f51]

#146 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:05 AM

A 50,000 sq foot building will begin construction behind phase one this year.
It will house office, and retail on the ground floor. The guy from Fireside bakery is opening an organic bakery there, and there will be a pub/ restaurant as well.

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Excellent.

#148 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

The guy from Fireside bakery is opening an organic bakery there, and there will be a pub/ restaurant as well.

Fireside or Wild Fire? If Fireside, where do they have a store now? I can't place them...?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#149 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Yeah sorry. Wildfire.
It used to be a married couple running they have recently divorced. The ex-husband is starting up the Dockside bakery.

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Here's an image of an updated plan for Dockside. The northern-most section of the development if cut off for some reason.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#151 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

The building on the bottom right, where Harbour Rd curves west, is the office/ retail scheduled to start construction this year.

#152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

You're referring to the little curved one right below the first phase?

I can't wait for people to start occupying those digs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#153 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

Yeah. That's the building.

#154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

If only a bit more density could be achieved on this site it might be outstanding. For the life of me I can't figure out why the developers are going with squat 6- 8 story "highrises", when a much greater density could be achieved more economically at 12 - 15 stories.

#155 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

The density was imposed by the city.
There's a misunderstanding about that. The numbers 2:1 have been flung about. Which is for the overall density, including roads, public spaces, parks, sidewalks, etc, which waters down the density for each building itself.
In actual fact, each "highrise" is about 4:1.
As fact as height goes, the developer is going as high as he's able to. They would go higher if they could, but commitments to the community and the city are the limitations.
Both buildings for "Balance" are ten stories.

#156 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

Here's a glimpse of what the new commercial building will look like:

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

I think that since the Vic West Community Assoc imposed restrictions times has dramatically changed. When Dockside was approved we were still battling it out downtown with building being proposed "under" the height limit. We all know the story since then so I feel that should Dockside go back to the community and ask for a variance that it could very well be supported.

Know it all.

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

What's with all the pavement in that last pic? And what's that big hole in the ground? Is the perspective a bit wonky or something?

#159 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

I think that since the Vic West Community Assoc imposed restrictions times has dramatically changed. When Dockside was approved we were still battling it out downtown with building being proposed "under" the height limit. We all know the story since then so I feel that should Dockside go back to the community and ask for a variance that it could very well be supported.

Dockside is continually in consultation with the Vic West community. I don't really know too much about what's happening down the line, but I know there's increased acceptance amongst community members that shorter, fatter buildings aren't better. So I wouldn't be surprise if we'd see skinnier and taller for future phases. I'm just guessing though.
Balance was originally shorter and fatter, but Van Bellingham convinced the community that if it were taller, then it could be skinnier, therefore opening up the views more.

#160 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

It is inevitable that dockside will increase it's density, it's unfortunate that city hall picked the lower option. Dockside will reap many rewards from the density that they must now demand, if they don't demand it they are not very smart financially. That is the concern many of us have had from the start, we could have had a defined denser, and higher, less view blocking community, but now we don't know where we sit, and some views are already blocked.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)