BUILT
The Sawyer Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 840 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
The Sawyer Block is a six-storey purpose-built rental complex with nearly 900 square feet of ground floor comm... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Sawyer Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Sawyer (formerly The George) | Rentals; commercial space | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

^ I bet it seemed like it rained less back in the olden days. There were so many overhead lines, a lot of the rain must have hit them and burned off.

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

If you ran really quickly beneath the lines you wouldn't even get wet at all.

#43 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Here is an aerial view of the Sawyer site - http://www.bing.com/...e1=Victoria, BC

#44 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

This project goes before City Council on Thursday, March 11 (for both rezoning and development permit).

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

I'll be at the meeting to likely support this. Anyone else coming?

#46 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

what time is the meeting?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Public hearing set for six-storey residential and commercial project
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2103

Proponents of a redevelopment of the old Sawyer Sewing building at 840 Fort Street in downtown Victoria are expecting approval at tonight’s public hearing for their plans to convert the two-storey building into a six-storey mixed-use residential and commercial lowrise.

Three Point Properties’ The Sawyer is designed by local architecture firm Hillel Architecture. Plans call for an addition of four floors to the building (increasing its height to 21 meters) and filling in the currently empty parking space behind the existing two-storey brick structure. Streetfront retail would anchor the project. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

what time is the meeting?

7:30 and it's number 2 on the agenda. See ya there!

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Approved. Unanimous. 4 speakers for the proposal, none against, one unclear (Denis Oliver), wondered where the bricks came from or something.

#50 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Wow Denis couldn't even speak against it? Glad it went through no problem.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Any suggestion of start date?

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

Any suggestion of start date?

I think immediately, or close to. But there are a couple of legal issues that have to be signed off before it has final approval. So it needs at least one more council meeting, but public hearing is closed.

#53 Yakpi

Yakpi
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

My sources say they are aiming for a July 2010 start date.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

^Yes, I heard July as well.

The change to a smaller footprint meant a redesign of fewer, but larger suites, meaning there will be a few more one-bedrooms. Which is good because Three Point's other project at 1007 Johnson is all tiny studio suites. Diversity is good.

I think Councillor Lucas voted against this. Or am I thinking of the Fort/Ormond heritage house/office?

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

^Yes, I heard July as well.

The change to a smaller footprint meant a redesign of fewer, but larger suites, meaning there will be a few more one-bedrooms. Which is good because Three Point's other project at 1007 Johnson is all tiny studio suites. Diversity is good.

I think Councillor Lucas voted against this. Or am I thinking of the Fort/Ormond heritage house/office?

Hmmmmmm. I don't think so. He spoke up after Denis Oliver, and I recall him talking one other time, and at the time I thought he didn't really need to for what he had to say.

#56 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I saw at least one worker on site here today; maybe they're getting ready to start?

#57 DevelopView

DevelopView
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

The back of this building has been left as an eyesore for the past number of years. I contacted city hall but they would not do anything about it, I even played phone tag with 3 point propeties a few years ago with no results. Nonthing like looking out your condo and having to look at a tar paper shack with peices flapping in the wind. Sure made for interesting feedback while trying to sell my condo.

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Yeah I hear ya. I guess they should have tried to go higher than they had asked for so that there was a chance it would have been viable. I expect it will be this way for a while.

#59 DevelopView

DevelopView
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

If the back of the building were facing Fort street I am sure it would not be allowed to left in such condition. City should not allow such eyesore.

#60 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

this thread needs pix

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users