Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#2121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

Long Dug Dong is a character from the 16 Candles movie, in case anyone is perplexed by that reference.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2122 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

There are as many, and far more current papers, studies, etc. that refute all those links you just threw-up.

Amalgamation isn't going to be answered in this region as saving money or not until the amalgamation is forced and 10 years

down the road the information is compared - just like all of the Amalgamations that have happened in BC. 

#2123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:39 PM

Our current governance model is broken. I am willing to try some form of amalgamation even if there is some added expense.

• AndrewReeve, Awaiting Juno and VIResident like this

#2124 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

to me Amalgamation isn't just about saving money if that happens it's just a small reason for it.. to me Amalgamation would create less chaos and some more harmony around what we are dealing with now.. i feel the CRD is fractured with all these different municipalities that don't work together and Amalgamation would hopefully help with that

people in the westshore are pleading for some sort of light rail to get into downtown.. yet it has to cross through so many municipalities it will never happen

look at the whole bus passes issue.. you have people up in arms because they are frustrated one municipality gets something where another one does not yet the kids attend the same school

the plastic bag ban... you get charged 25c for a paper bag in Victoria yet you go a block away you can get a free plastic bag

Edited by Midnightly, 20 June 2019 - 02:15 PM.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, tedward and 3 others like this

#2125 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Our current governance model is broken. I am willing to try some form of amalgamation even if there is some added expense.

Agreed....I just don't believe it would be done because of "cost savings"

CoV residents enjoy commercial revenue that keep their property tax rates down, but this revenue would be watered down across the region.  Non union areas like Langord would be unionized.  Services like garbage pickup would most likely be standardized and offered to areas where it is not currently provided.

Attached Images

• Fire_Service.jpg

#2126 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:14 PM

to me Amalgamation isn't just about saving money if that happens it's just a small reason for it.. to me Amalgamation would create less chaos and some more harmony around what we are dealing with now.. i feel the CRD is fractured with all these different municipalities that don't work together and Amalgamation would hopefully help with that

people in the westshore are pleading for some sort of light rail to get into downtown.. yet it has to cross through so many municipalities it will never happen

look at the whole bus passes issue.. you have people up in arms because they are frustrated one municipality gets something where another one does not yet the kids attend the same school

the plastic bag ban... you get charged 25c for a paper bag in Victoria yet you go a block away you can get a free plastic bag

Precisely: and once some form of amalgamated CRD emerges - whatever that might look like - the rejuvenated and presumably streamlined political governance body could kick things off by ensuring the region has a freaking coherent transportation strategy - which is exactly the polar opposite of what we have now, thanks largely to 13 fiefdoms all running helter skelter in different directions and sticking their heads in the sand enacting at best patchwork solutions within their own boundaries, and seemingly hoping the larger transpo issues plaguing the south island, such as formulating a truly long range *regional* planning strategy designed to anticipate and mitigate gridlock, not to mention budgeting adequately for and then actually addressing the woefully insufficient roadway infrastructure, will somehow just 'go away'....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 20 June 2019 - 06:15 PM.

• Nparker, tedward and Awaiting Juno like this

#2127 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

I am just wondering with the campaign to rid Victoria of cars, do we need some sort of adjustment and segregation of the CRD to represent the population?  If the realistic movement of 2 thirds of the population is blocked, what is the recourse?

We have been here before.  The CRD needs to be split.  It doesn't represent the population.

https://www.saanichn...s-became-three/

#2128 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

The City of Victoria and the District of Saanich have approved of joint terms of reference to form a citizens' assembly that will explore the costs, benefits and disadvantages of amalgamating the two municipalities..."The work of the citizens’ assembly needs to be free of interference by elected officials and lobbyist group," said [Saanich Mayor Fred] Haynes. "It’s important that the recommendations they will provide will be based on facts rather than emotions."

Good luck with that.

https://www.iheartra...lans-1.10513788

#2129 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

I dream of them taking about facts.  The whole amalgamation process is constantly hijacked by emotions.   There are no significant facts that will indicate retaining the status quo makes any sense.

Honestly, I think the process will do everything it can to avoid actual facts 

• Nparker likes this

#2130 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

The region gets exactly what it deserves.  

#2131 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

The region gets exactly what it deserves.  

I disagree, it gets what the entrenched interests and NIMBYs want, majority opinion is not considered

#2132 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

I disagree, it gets what the entrenched interests and NIMBYs want, majority opinion is not considered

*coughahem* . It is considered at the voting booth.  

#2133 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

The local empire building has emptied the pockets of all residents in this region and is on the brink of taking the few pennies that are left.  

Comment: It doesn’t make sense to build fire hall at new Esquimalt Town Square

"....I am not sure this duplication of services would be replicated anywhere else in Canada, and cannot think of anyone who would agree this is a smart, cost-effective use of emergency personnel or taxpayer money."  Tom Woods, MBA, is a retired firefighter and longtime Esquimalt resident who graduated from Esquimalt High in 1980.

https://www.timescol...uare-1.24064347

#2134 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

And the public in 2014 voted for amalgamation to move forward.   

• Nparker likes this

#2135 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

this statement is delusional given:

1. voter turnout

2. we have slates here

#2136 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

this statement is delusional given:

1. voter turnout

2. we have slates here

See comment 1 :  We get exactly what we deserve.  

#2137 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

And the public in 2014 voted for amalgamation to move forward.   

and here we are, 2020 nothing much happening other than 'terms of reference'

#2138 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:52 PM

Which relates right back to my comment, this is not what we deserve, this is what is foisted on us by the entrenched interests and NIMBYs

Edited by Bernard, 30 January 2020 - 03:46 PM.

• Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#2139 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Which relates right back to my comment, this is not what we deserve, this is what is foisted on us by the entrenched interests and NIMBYs

whom 'we' voted in! Look, the momentum was there in 2014 and politicians stood up left and right "I support the people!" Council members too....when they got elected immediately put heads in sand.  Okay, so along comes another 'election' rinse and repeat.  Just stupid.  

• Nparker likes this

#2140 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

whom 'we' voted in! Look, the momentum was there in 2014 and politicians stood up left and right "I support the people!" Council members too....when they got elected immediately put heads in sand.  Okay, so along comes another 'election' rinse and repeat.  Just stupid.  

The problem are the elected politicians, they are all elected with a mandate to maintain the status quo.  Amalgamation means that the vast majority of them would lose their power and their income.   It also means a lot of senior staff will lose their jobs.   These vested interests know the facts and know the public support amalgamation but are cowards and refuse to improve things for everyone.   

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users