3053 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Sounds scrumptious. I'll be there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Major announcement coming tomorrow on The Zone - not sure if it's for here or Vancouver.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm hoping its Justin Timberlake. :)

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

^ I said MAJOR.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Bob Marley?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

I saw the performer Final Fantasy (alias of Owen Pallett) play at the Metro theatre about a month ago. He is an amazing classically trained violinist who combines pop music and baroque music into beautifully-crafted original songs. Maybe the best concert I've seen in Victoria all year.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

How was the Metro as a music venue? There's a terrible lack of decent small venues that aren't bars with terrible sightlines.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

...where's the metro theatre??

btw, I think VHF's big concert announcement was Billy Talent.

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

^I assumed it was Sloan. Did I tell you about the time I saw Sloan in an elevator in the Executive House hotel? I honestly thought they were homeless dudes until I recognized them.

Metro Theatre is the northeast corner of Johnson and Quadra in the old church building.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

Lisa Marie Presley is coming to town. So in Chantel Kreviaksitiaiiaiak.

#31 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

How was the Metro as a music venue? There's a terrible lack of decent small venues that aren't bars with terrible sightlines.

I thought it was great, I've only seen some fringe theatre groups perform there before. The opening act used the large backdrop to play videos on.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

If anyone's interested in checking out a band that is heavily influenced by the sounds of the '60's/'70's and has big potential of breaking through to major markets across NA and Europe, give "Hey Marmaduke" a try on Friday, Oct 27th at Steamers.

I've heard them a few times and they are arguably on the verge of making it "big." Pretty cool to have another local band that is rising local charts at a quick pace and is being closely watched in other markets.

I went to high school with the bass player but the rest of the band is comprised of bonafide Brits. Together they make for an interesting group with sounds not commonly played by our local bands.

Know it all.

#33 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hey Marmaduke is a good band.
Jack, the keyboardist is tight.

#34 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

Hey Marmaduke is a good band.
Jack, the keyboardist is tight.

How can a single player be tight? I though that "tight" defines how a band plays together.

I, and my lady, goes to local concerts every months, mostly smaller venues. The calibre of musicianship is very good, overall.

Doc Sage

#35 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

[quote name='Doc Sage'][quote name='"Lover Fighter":0ec38']Hey Marmaduke is a good band.
Jack, the keyboardist is tight.[/quote]

How can a single player be tight? I thought that "tight" defines how a band plays together.

I, and my lady, goes to local concerts every months, mostly smaller venues. The calibre of musicianship is very good, overall.

Doc Sage[/quote:0ec38] Hah, I was referring to his personality, not his actual skill.
(Sorry for using gangsta lingo: "Yo man, that sh*t's tight!".)
That being said, Jack is in fact one of the best piano players I know.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

If any VVers want some free tix, just drop by Soprano's and say you are an SK fan. :-D

This is a special offer ONLY for Salmon Kings fans and season-ticket holders.

This coming Saturday, October 28th, immediately after the Salmon Kings game vs. Idaho, Soprano's presents:

An all-star Halloween bash, with three very scary rock bands: Hardly Soft, Redheaded Stepchild, and November Rising.

We don't have live bands very often at Soprano's - so you know that when we do, we guarantee a great party and awesome sound. This talented set of three up-and-coming local rock bands make their second appearance on the Soprano's stage, after a sold-out show last Spring. And Hardly Soft, the headlining band, recently won BEST new band in a blockbuster Battle of the Bands competition at Legends, involving over 25 local bands. This'll be a great show for all ages (19+ of course).

Cover charge is $6, but for Salmon Kings fans we have a special offer:

Pick up FREE courtesy tickets from the bartender any day this week (M-F 12noon-7:30PM ONLY), while quantities last. Just let the bartender know you are a Salmon Kings fan, and you can take home up to 4 tickets per person.

For a sample of Hardly Soft's sound go here to listen to BRAND NEW DAY:

http://hardlysoft.ca...brandnewday.mp3

More band info:

Since March 2006, Hardly Soft has been pounding the stages of Victoria and have started to gain a substantial fan base. The band placed third for Vancouver Island in Canada's Supernova Band Competition and have most recently won Vancouver Island's Up N Coming band search, where they took home $7000.00 worth of cash and prizes after battling it out with 27 bands over a three month period. Hardly Soft is currently in pre-production for the next recording where they will join forces with musician/engineer Matthew James and The Audio Garage to kick out their next batch of material.

Hardly Soft website: http://www.hardlysoft.ca/

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:04 AM

The Tragically Hip at SOFMC is being announced this morning.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

I was curious when the last time they were [url=http://www.hipbase.com/archive/concerts.php?start_date=1987-07-02&end_date=2006-07-15&song_id=&tag_id=&location_id=31:e2770]here[/url:e2770] and learned they played a two-show gig somewhere here in '92, a show at the Memorial Arena in '95 and a two-show gig at the Royal in '02.

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

The guitarist is renting my stepmom's place in Morrisburg, Ontario.

#40 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

The Tragically Hip at SOFMC is being announced this morning.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'll be for sure grabbing tickets Saturday morning.

I was curious when the last time they were [url=http://www.hipbase.com/archive/concerts.php?start_date=1987-07-02&end_date=2006-07-15&song_id=&tag_id=&location_id=31:3df59]here[/url:3df59] and learned they played a two-show gig somewhere here in '92, a show at the Memorial Arena in '95 and a two-show gig at the Royal in '02.

I first saw them at the second Royal show in 2002 and again in Vancouver in 2004.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users