Photo

Tobacco Free in the CRD (smoking ban)

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#381 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

I doubt BBQ smoke is anywhere near as toxic or noxious as tobacco or marijuana.

I think most people would agree that the smell of a BBQ cooking is pleasant.

There's also a big difference between firing up the BBQ twice a week and smoking 30 cigs on your balcony day and night. 

• sebberry and tedward like this

#382 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Jbw, you don't like the smell of bbq smoke? Wow. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorites, and I suspect the same for many people.

All smoke regardless of the source is painfully toxic to me (I concede that reason is a minority one). 

But before I became hypersensitive to smoke, while I'd enjoy being at a bbq and not terribly mind the smoke, I'd object to such toxins and noxious odour being imposed on me at someone else's will and in my own home.

jbw

#383 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

All smoke regardless of the source is painfully toxic to me (I concede that reason is a minority one).
But before I became hypersensitive to smoke, while I'd enjoy being at a bbq and not terribly mind the smoke, I'd object to such toxins and noxious odour being imposed on me at someone else's will and in my own home.

jbw

Ah ok. Your post objected to the stench, which is defined as a bad smell. The smoke itself is different.

#384 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Jbw, you don't like the smell of bbq smoke? Wow. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorites, and I suspect the same for many people.

Only if I am partaking in whatever is being BBQ'd.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#385 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

I've seen a lot of people around town smoking tobacco pipes since the no smoking bylaw went into effect do they think they found a loophole? As the sign only shows a cigarette as imagery.

post-3154-0-07125300-1432013739.jpg

#386 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:57 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooo.png

....?

#387 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

No enjoying anymore

20151103_135443.jpg

@ Royal BC Museum

#388 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

I am not a smoker but I think this law is going beyond reasonable and today I see that the CRD is picking on marginalized persons.

These street people have nothing to begin with no bed to sleep in no home to lay on a couch watching TV and they visit Our Place homeless shelter for showers, socializing, 3 meals a day, medical and the list goes on an on.

They hang out on the boulevard where many of them smoke cigarettes.

Today I see that the CRD has erected their No Smoking Signs on both ends of the sidewalk on Pandora from Vancouver to Quadra.

I guess this is considered part of Harris Green and therefore technically a park.

The huge wide part of Harris Green from Vancouver Street to the Church on Chambers St has none of these signs.

I don't like the street people society in this town and all the BS that goes along with them and their actions but for  F sakes why is the CRD focusing in on that one little part of the street in front of a homeless shelter to put these signs up.Are they planning on fining people who may smoke there...people who cant and wont pay fines levied???

The sad irony is that IV Injections and crack smoking take place there too but no signs prohibiting that or no signs saying its illegal to steal then strip bicycles on the grass

I guess you really don't need to have any common sense at all to work as a  bureaucrat

Edited by HB, 03 November 2015 - 09:21 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

I'm sure it's a reaction to businesses voicing complaints about the smell of cigarettes and cigarette debris.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#390 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

Not a smoker, but cancer aside I did enjoy the aroma occasionally as I walked down the street, I associate the smell with various destinations of my liking, good memories come flying back.

No smoking say 100 feet from the nearest person may have made more sense?

But then you have the cigarette butts, enforce the no littering bylaw maybe?

#391 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Does that include weed?

#392 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

I use a torch to get the weeds out of my laneway, sometimes thay smoke almost as much as Justin Trudeau.

#393 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have no problem with this.  It smells, butts litter, I don't like breathing it in and I can't see the benefit to anyone. 

If you can't have a drink in public (outside licenced establishments) then why should you be able to smoke and blow it all over everyone around you?

• Bingo, jonny and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#394 foll1971

foll1971
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

It's called obnoxious smells. I have an issue with those electric sigs as well. Specially when the A'hole blows it basically in my direction/face!

• Nparker and JennKa like this

#395 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

Cigarettes have quit Keith Richards.

https://www.cnn.com/...king/index.html

#396 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

does anyone remember a program here that I think enrolled 6th graders and paid them a cash dividend if they remained non smokers either each year or at the end of the program? and participants would somehow be tested to ensure compliance/ success.

I think it was s private program run by some type of philanthropists. . not sure what ever happened to it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

All of the kids became smokers.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#398 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

somehow I thought maybe the opposite bankrupted the program.

#399 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:19 AM

New Zealand plans to ban young people from ever buying cigarettes in their lifetime in one of the world's toughest crackdowns on the tobacco industry, arguing that other efforts to extinguish smoking were taking too long.

People aged 14 and under in 2027 will never be allowed to purchase cigarettes in the Pacific country of five million, part of proposals unveiled on Thursday that will also curb the number of retailers authorized to sell tobacco and cut nicotine levels in all products.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-kids-1.6279023

"This is all 100 per cent theory and zero per cent substance," the group's chairman, Sunny Kaushal, told Stuff.co.nz. "There's going to be a crime wave. Gangs and criminals will fill the gap with ciggie houses alongside tinnie houses."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2021 - 06:23 AM.

#400 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:03 AM

So, the new weed, basically. Good ol’ government.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users