Photo

Predictions for 2008 municipal election

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Perhaps hate is a strong word. The business community expectations have not been met by Lowe. He has devoted far more time to things like a needle exchange and harm reduction strategies then getting the homeless out of the way and approving more re-zoning applications!

The problem is that the business community will never be able to elect a full pro-business slate. There will always be a few NDP/green supporters to throw a few curves. Makes it frustrating then for a mayor to try and get anything done and there are not a lot of star candidates willing to step up and take the abuse.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Lowe's not worried about the business community. Isitt is definitely a non-contender and Fortin wouldn't be their choice, either. BUT, both Isitt/Fortin are favoured by the left and Fortin running under the NDP banner will be a much more serious contender than Isitt was in '05, hence Lowe's recent attempts to make his name synonymous with social programs and social funding which is historically the left's turf.

It's not a coincidence Lowe struck his "panel" exactly one year from the election. He can't be all things to all people all the time and his latest energy is focused on bringing the left onside. Without their support he's in trouble.

And what's up with the rumour that councillor Geoff Young plans to run? Any substance to that? If so, he'll be a running against Lowe for the business vote.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

There really is no 'business' vote as business owners do not have the right to vote. Property owners (residential and commercial) have the right to vote. With that in mind, based on the demographics of the Victoria Municipal boundaries, there will always be a far stronger contingent of 'left' leaning votes. Remember Gretchin Brewin and David Turner and all their studies and sub-studies. Did anything of substance ever get done?

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

I realize that. I'm not referring to business owners running brick-and-mortar delis or sewing shops as their vote is as variable as that of a group of people in a residential building. It's the building owners and big-business operators who live in the City that I'm referring to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 obscurantist

obscurantist

in your backyard

• 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

A little off-topic, but I see that the [url=http://www.greenparty.bc.ca/:585d0]BC Green Party[/url:585d0] just chose Esquimalt councillor Jane Sterk as its leader. Does anyone have insight on what she might be like as a politician based on her municipal experience?

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

There really is no 'business' vote as business owners do not have the right to vote. Property owners (residential and commercial) have the right to vote. With that in mind, based on the demographics of the Victoria Municipal boundaries, there will always be a far stronger contingent of 'left' leaning votes. Remember Gretchin Brewin and David Turner and all their studies and sub-studies. Did anything of substance ever get done?

Business owners to a large extent foot the bill for advertising and control the chamber of commerce and other outspoken quasi-political groups.

#27 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

Business owners to a large extent foot the bill for advertising and control the chamber of commerce and other outspoken quasi-political groups.

Well, you are correct that Business owners 'control the Chamber of Commerce'. Thats because its a non-profit organization devoted to representing business interests and to be a member you have to be in business or a related field ....funny how that works.

As for being outspoken I would ask you to cite some examples and support them.

Now, about the claim

Business owners to a large extent foot the bill for advertising

this is good, please cite examples, dollars spent and what resulted, name one business that paid for municipal ads and benefited and how did they benefit.

Basically, if you're going to go around making statements as above, please ensure you can back them up.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Rjag,

If I have to prove to you that Bruce Carter is outspoken or that the DVBA has an agenda then I think that you must live in another Province.

It was not local treehuggers footing the $75 or $100 a plate meal with Mayor Lowe and the money wasn't donated back to charity.

#29 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Rjag,

If I have to prove to you that Bruce Carter is outspoken or that the DVBA has an agenda then I think that you must live in another Province.

It was not local treehuggers footing the $75 or $100 a plate meal with Mayor Lowe and the money wasn't donated back to charity.

Of course these associations have agendas, thats the whole essence of their existence. Just like T Buck Suzuki, Georgia Strait Alliance, WCWC James Bay Residents Association, Fairfield etc etc

Whats wrong with them doing that? GVCC reaches out to a lot of politicians of every stripe, thats their role. They are given a mandate by their members to ensure that small business has a voice when it comes to decisions being made that affect them and the community they live and work in. They represent a group of people (notice I say people and try and humanise this) that pay a significant portion of the community bills.

Look at their 2007 priorities:
Belleville St. Terminal
Social Issues
Amalgamation Of Municipal Services
WHTI / Passport Requirements
Transportation Infrastructure
Conference Centre Expansion
Business Vote
Homelessness
Crime Prevention
Labour Shortages
Regional Economic Development
Sewage Treatment

With the exception of the Business Vote (which is a pipe dream) all the other issues are regional and are aimed at advancing our community.

Look at some of the news releases;

http://www.victoriac..._releases?id=78 Victoria Chamber Leads National Body to Focus on Homelessness

http://www.victoriac..._releases?id=82 Chamber Applauds Business Approach to Dealing with Social Issues

If you call this outspoken, thats your opinion. These groups roles are basically trying to make Victoria a more liveable place for all of us. If the politicians were doing a better job, there would be no need for these groups.

No need to get into a pissing match, we're all here for the same thing, the betterment of our community. If you want to contact me to discuss further, send me a pm, I'll be more than happy to discuss further.

#30 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

I see Alan lowe getting in by the narrowist of margins. I think P3's overall are a good thing because they for the most are on budget, just look at some of the ones the provincial gov ernment has. The NDP are not business types and could not run a lemonade stand . They are poor economists. Just look at fast ferries and how much debt they racked up during their term as government. I say no way to muncipal NDP supporter getting elected. I trhink Ben Isslit is still a joke and no one will vote for him no matter what party he runs for. He should maybe consider wunning as a councillor and not for mayor, as that is his best chance of getting elected. With sewage treatment on the way he all but lost he top issue!

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

^ Please how can you even mention the fast ferries anymore. I mean hello convention centre. The days of using NDP fearmongering about finances is over IMO.

Ben Isitt is not going to win I think we can be sure of that but he had far ideas and the main NDP wanted nothing to do with him.

Anyways voting along party lines municipally just does not happen in Vic, people vote for the person strange as that might seem. The mayor just better hope his homeless taskforce does well between now and the election in 08.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

It would be nice for Lowe to pass on the torch to Coun. Geoff Young. I'd like to give that guy a run at the job.

As for Fastferries/NDP, G-man's right, we're beating an old horse there and the Libs have unfortunately done none better with their grossly underestimated costs for the conference centre catastrophe (not to mention they sold off the fastferries for less than their scrap value). If there was a worthy alternative to the Libs in this province I would champion them but there's no other provincial party that can keep the province headed in the right direction, imo.

Know it all.

#33 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

CCC

The Concerned Citizens' Coalition is pleased to announce that three of its members will be seeking the nomination of the CCC membership to run for Victoria City Council seats in the 2008 election.

They are: David Burke, Gregory Hartnell and the Reverend Father Allen Jones.

All three have run in previous Victoria municipal elections for the CCC and, barring any opposition from as-yet unknown elements, are very likely to win the nomination to be held at a public meeting in the new year.

The Concerned Citizens is Victoria's only remaining political party.

Its main concerns are Conservation, Social Justice and Fiscal Accountability.

We put the mental health, subsidized social housing and abstinence-based recovery needs of the poorest of the poor at the top of our agenda, while also remaining focused on an ecology-based sewage system of moderate cost, cutting superfluous infrustructure spending, and freezing residential property taxes.

We support the actual finishing of the as-yet unfinished new ugly arena that is such a disgrace and embarrassment to Victoria, having been passed in a bogus referendum procedure.

Instead of wasting $63,000,000 over 30 years to pay back the loan ($2,100,00 a year wasted) on this eyesore, the SOFMA should be sold for top to dollar to the private sector.

We do not support a radical redesign of Douglas Street that would hurt businesses there.

We support North Douglas business merchants in their struggle to stop the waste of up to $15,000,000 tax dollars to accomodate more polluting buses.

We also see no need to spend any new money on the Crystal Pool ($18,000,000 proposed), nor on a concrete plaza where the lawn bowling green now is found behind the City-owned Crystal Gardens.

We rather support the existing use of the lawn bowling green by the existing club members and would support any efforts they might pursue to grow their membership at the traditional location.

We have absolutely no confidence in the Mayor's taskforce on homelessness.

Without a single person as yet identified of the first 50, and the target for those first 50 to be housed pushed back to March 1 of next year, the so-called 'taskforce' is a cruel joke to those suffering on the streets this winter.

As the Mayor's letter in the Times Colonist today clearly indicates, the City of Victoria will not do anything directly to help provide mental health services, social housing or addictions treatment under Mr. Lowe.

The status quo is clearly not acceptable.

We are always seeking new members, particularly women, who might also like to seek Victoria City Council seats.

Gregory Hartnell

CCC

[Edited by mod: VibrantVictoria.ca's posting regulations in the political sub-forums do not permit soliciting for membership, aka spamming.]

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

It's good to see concerned citizens take advantage of the democratic system instead of merely grumbling from their armchairs like most people. However, the CCC has an uphill climb:

2005 election:

Mayor:

Gregory Hartnell 381 votes (2.28%)

Council:

Allen Jones 856 votes (0.81%)

2002 Election:

Council:

Allen Jones 1619 votes (1.61%)

John David Burke 685 votes (0.68%)

There doesn't seem to be a dramatic change in either the policies or the candidate slate of the CCC. They appear to place well below the +-5000 votes required to snag a council seat. Clearly a dramatic turnaround is needed if the CCC wishes to rise out of the fringe candidate status.

Most people seem to be in support of the Mayor's task force and would probably be reluctant to scrap the whole process before it's had a chance to prove itself. Clearly the CCC need a stunning breakthrough on a par with Gordon Wilson's triumph. As it stands now, the CCC would be fortunate to break the 1000 vote mark again after 2005's drop.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#35 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

CCC

Sorry for the unintended spam. I see just now that you apparently omitted the CCC phone number and email address. I am afraid that you might have to edit our latest posting on the smoking bylaw in the same manner...

Sorry, again...

Gregory Hartnell

CCC

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

A funny from Monday Magazine:

Too much 2020 vision

Maybe it’s just us, but there seems to be a distinct lack of creativity when it comes to putting a name to discussions on civic politics in the city—or maybe its just the limitations of trying to come up with catchy alliterations involving the letter “V.”

Take the slogan on Dean Fortin’s invitation to his aforementioned candidacy announcement, “A Vision for Victoria.” This should not be confused with the ongoing blog on local affairs from observer Bernard Schulmann called “Victoria Vision.”

Then there is the newly launched website from BC Liberal organizer David Davies called “Victoria2020—A clear vision,” which has already set about questioning the credibility of left-leaning candidates Fortin and Pieta VanDyke.

Davies’ website name sounds perplexingly like that of the Downtown Victoria 2020 group—dv2020.ca—which hosted a series of public forums a few years ago seeking ways to bring vibrancy back to the core and now hopes to see its objectives revived as possible election issues in November.

Stay tuned for Monday’s election blog, tentatively titled vibrantvictoriavision2020.ca.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

All I can say is that I started the blog because of my main pet peeve about Victoria, the lack of any vision of greatness for this city.

Given that we are in an amazing geographic location and given that we have all the pieces one needs for a great city, why are not better known than somewhere like Salzburg? Or Austin Texas?

The idea is to have a place for me to think out loud about a vision for our city. The downside of putting my views out there so publically is that I have killed any chance of ever being a successful politician in this city - though that is an upside for my wife.

In retrospect, anything with vision is such an automatic for ueber political spin masters out there, especially politicians that would never more than just tweak the status quo (Vision Vancouver comes to mind)

I would love to hear what people think it would take to make Victoria a world class great city.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

I would love to hear what people think it would take to make Victoria a world class great city.

Amalgamation of the mini-empires would help a lot. After that there will be SO much more we can do.

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

I attended Dean Fortin's announcement today that he was running for mayor. Some of the points he mentioned in his speech were

- Homelessness
- A stronger downtown
- Consensus with neighbourhoods
- Excellence in architectural design (he mentioned examples of Selkirk and Dockside)
- Environmental innovation esp. transit

#40 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

I attended Dean Fortin's announcement today that he was running for mayor. Some of the points he mentioned in his speech were

- Homelessness
- A stronger downtown
- Consensus with neighbourhoods
- Excellence in architectural design (he mentioned examples of Selkirk and Dockside)
- Environmental innovation esp. transit

It was a fairly brief stump speech, but another issue he touched upon was affordable housing. (Somewhere between homlessness and consensus :) )

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users