• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

MacNeil ponders politics

The noted publican and original chairman of the Downtown Victoria Business Association said yesterday he isn't ruling out running for the post of Victoria mayor or for city council.

"I just haven't had the time, but that's going to get better, I guess," MacNeil said.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

My feeling after talking to MacNeil is that he would rather not run but if no credible candidate steps forward from the business community who has a strong commitment to solving Victoria's social problems he will likely put his name forward.

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

In today's paper:

Hughes not seeking re-election
Victoria councillor calls it quits after 18 years
Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Victoria city councillor Helen Hughes will not be running in November's municipal elections.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'm pretty bummed about this - Helen Hughes was one of the most sensible voices on council, as well as a real pleasure in person. I sure hope that some incredible candidates step forward to fill her shoes.

#45 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

So far its not looking great, IMO.
Simon Nattrass? - please! Wait 10 more years at least;
Dean Fortin? - nice man, never operated a lemonade stand, no biz clues;
Stan Sipos? - a city is far more complicated than a biz devoted only to profit.
Three extremes!
Where is the candidate who can bring an understanding of the complex and diverse organism that is a city?

#46 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Victoria needs a mayor who understands the housing/homeless/drug issues more than a mayor who understands business right now. Businesses have always been good about jumping up and down when the smallest thing goes wrong, homeless not so much.

#47 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

The T-C has such a great editorial today that I'm going to re-post the whole damn thing here (but click through to read it on the T-C website, too).

Whoever wrote this deserves kudos for saying what needs to be said, plain and clear.

All candidates should study this. All residents should read it, and become voters.

Local politics needs your vote
Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, August 16, 2008

Something is seriously wrong when three-quarters of the eligible voters in Victoria choose not to vote in a municipal election.

In Saanich, the region's largest municipality, the turnout is even worse -- only 19 per cent of eligible voters cast ballots. Across the region, municipal and school board elections are non-events for far too many people.

That's unfortunate. It's even dangerous. Turnouts are so low that a relatively small single-interest group could elect its own candidates. It took only 5,200 votes, representing the support of eight per cent of the electorate, to win a seat on Victoria council.

But more importantly, these kinds of turnouts signal a disconnect between citizens and government that undermines democracy. Our system requires not just taxpayers, but an engaged citizenry. The minimum requirement is a willingness to vote.

There are changes that could help. Provincial and federal elections are both conducted by independent bodies with a mandate that includes increasing participation. Measures as basic as shifting election day off the traditional Saturday should be tried.

The real answer, though, lies with each of us. We have to accept our responsibility to follow the campaigns, ensure the right issues are raised and then select the candidates who demonstrate the skills, experience and policy ideas to steer our municipalities -- and school districts -- through the next three years.

Some issues are intensely local. Others cut across all the capital regional communities.

Crime, for example. The capital region remains a remarkably safe place to live. But property crimes, largely driven by drug addiction, have undermined our sense of security. When residents fear that a weekend away might bring a break-in, or that a car left in a parkade will be broken into, something important is lost.

So what do candidates propose? More officers? A greater effort to address addictions, the underlying cause? Regional policing, in recognition that crackdowns on community crime problems can simply push the problem into the next municipality?

Transportation is another critical issue in which the region has gone backward; delays and congestion are worse than ever and increasing. Do candidates propose improving transit or building roads? Or do they consider this a provincial issue fundamentally beyond their ability to deal with directly?

Closely related, there is the question of development, both within municipalities and across the region. Most candidates will likely claim to support increased density and protected green space and reduced sprawl. But achieving those goals demands specific actions -- allowing taller buildings, legalizing basement suites, encouraging infill development in established neighbourhoods. All involve trade-offs, and some will create controversy within neighbourhoods. Candidates should have clear positions.

Many of those measures will also be relevant to what should also be a critical issue -- housing affordability. Soaring home prices have pleased most homeowners, but more than one-third of capital region residents rent their accommodation. The high prices are also a potential barrier to economic growth, creativity and innovation and could drive the next generation away from the region. Candidates should be clear on whether they see this as a problem and what solutions are possible.

Voters should expect candidates to have plans for more effective regional approaches to all these issues -- whether through amalgamation or a larger role for the Capital Regional District.

There will be other important issues, like sewage treatment.

But voters should be on guard against allowing the elections to become focused on any single issue, no matter how important or controversial. Candidates must demonstrate coherent positions on all the challenges the region faces, and the experience and skills to deal with issues that will emerge. Single-issue candidates -- or slates -- have little to offer.

And, of course, there is the critical question of how much residents should expect to pay for all these services. Candidates should make it clear how they will manage property taxation and spending to ensure manageable increases and value for money.

Municipal governments face huge pressures. The public's expectations are large, but councils' actions are often limited by senior governments.

But ultimately, they are critical in determining the quality of life for our communities now and in the future. The candidates deserve our support and attention, and our active participation in the democratic process.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Does anyone have any idea who wrote this?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#48 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

^thank you for posting that. You beat me to it. :)
It's incredibly important. It's shameful voter turnout is that low.:(

#49 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

What a fantastic article.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

^thank you for posting that. You beat me to it. :)
It's incredibly important. It's shameful voter turnout is that low.:(

Saanich's residents are generally content with the way things are run. That's one reason voter turnout is so low.

I don't see why low voter turnout is shameful. I'd rather have a handful of educated voters voting, than huge numbers that have very little knowledge of issues voting.

#51 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

Saanich's residents are generally content with the way things are run. That's one reason voter turnout is so low.

I don't see why low voter turnout is shameful. I'd rather have a handful of educated voters voting, than huge numbers that have very little knowledge of issues voting.

Well I'm in Victoria and not content with the way things are run.
I don't want a flock of willy-nilly voter turnout either!
I really think many have become complacent and don't really see the importance/power of their right to vote.
I also wonder if any of this is taught in school so our young adults have respect for the right to vote.

#52 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

I kinda look at Canada's politic structure similar to a large business, except way more disfunctional.

You see, the municipal politicians would be the kids outta university that just got into their first real job. They aren't the provincial 'middle management' or Federal 'Executives', both of which groups have generally found their roles, and generally make both good and bad decisions based on some level of experience and their perspective of the greater good.

These municipal 'interns' however have no such experience, and there greater good usually revolves around what their next door neighbor or uncle down the block is going to think of them. They are so worried about keeping their jobs they pander, and will defer making a decision at any cost based on the perceived consequences.

The dis-similarity in politics and business falls in the fact that a corporation will manage these interns, and the decisions the interns make based on self promotion (preservation) and hidden aggendas rarely affect the company as they are regulated by more experienced and broad minded managers. Unfortunately, our municipal interns have no set of checks and balances so they will continue to pursue the intersts of the people involved in their own social circles, the people who complain the loudest, and, in doing so, will by design fail to make the decisions that can truly benefit our community.

Unfortunately, human nature and our political system isn't going to change. So when people are inclined to vote in municipal elections, I think most are of the knowledge they are going to receive a kick in the ass regardless, and are just trying to pick the intern with the smallest foot.

That, or the bacon I had for breakfast wasn't totally cooked and I now have mad cow...

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

I agree.

Same for provincial and federal elections.

That's also a reason I hate lawn signs advertising candidates. If you need to see a sign to tell you who to vote for - please stay home.

I would vote for any politician who would ban the posting of lawn/roadside placards that pop up each election.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

Well, if it was a handful of educated voters voting, maybe it would be ok. I'm more worried, however, by the frothing at the mouth crowd -- and they vote, sometimes more enthusiastically than their "educated" neighbours...

#55 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

I attempted to write this last night but either the VV server, or my connection timed out. Too bad as it was a good post which I will try to recall.

SHAME! On Ms B Havin especially - get to you later. As to lawn signs...

We have a problem in local elections on both fronts - voter participation and qualified candidates. The CRD situation means no one knows the value of a certain candidate in policy - who can influence what and whom? This is democracy by its lowest. Bad candidates for bad choices. (I take sewage, policing, drug policy and homeless to start)

Lawn signs - LJ, why are lawn signs bad vs the crap we get from 'provincial gov. updates' etc - in fact I would love to see a plethora of local election lawn signs just to see that voters care about the council(s). Anyone with an electoral connection note - my lawn is open for just about every candidate. I would love it seen populated with all kinds - just to raise comment.

Ms B Havin - are you serious "Well, if it was a handful of educated voters voting, maybe it would be ok. I'm more worried, however, by the frothing at the mouth crowd -- and they vote, sometimes more enthusiastically than their "educated" neighbours..." I hope that was a sarcastic comment. Elitism never works, leads to dictatorship and eventual anarchy (so many recent and historical examples to choose from!)

We need amalgamation - with oversight.

#56 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

^ What?, are you saying "shame" because I worry about stupid people voting (or the uninformed -- or those who don't agree with me)? I didn't say they can't or shouldn't vote. I just wish "educated" people (whatever that means) actually would vote -- and with a 25% turnout rate, I question whether that's happening at a significant enough rate, frankly.

Further to that, I don't believe in shame.

#57 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

^ What?, are you saying "shame" because I worry about stupid people voting (or the uninformed -- or those who don't agree with me)? I didn't say they can't or shouldn't vote. I just wish "educated" people (whatever that means) actually would vote -- and with a 25% turnout rate, I question whether that's happening at a significant enough rate, frankly.

Further to that, I don't believe in shame.

I agree with you on voter turnout - and the indifference of most voters to any election: federal, provincial and municipal is the true shame. Make your words your meaning - quote from you - "Well, if it was a handful of educated voters voting, maybe it would be ok." Is that your view? Only selected educated property owners need apply to thankfully submit their vote to the candidate who promises to...

That makes a mockery of the democratic ideal - are you in favour of Mugabe?

#58 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Context vs abstract ideal: my remark was specifically (contextually) a response to VHF, who wrote:

I'd rather have a handful of educated voters voting, than huge numbers that have very little knowledge of issues voting.

To which my response "Well, if it was a handful of educated voters voting, maybe it would be ok" doesn't seem like an endorsement of Mugabe, because implied, of course (if you read the context) is that the mere handful that's voting now isn't guaranteed to be what VHF wished for (educated).

We could in fact have low voter turnout of informed voters, ...or of NOPs. In either case, I remain unconvinced that low voter turnout is ok -- I'd like to see more engagement.

#59 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Encouraging voters to not only submit a ballot, but engage in the process and choose a candidate that suits their ideals is an issue that has never been properly solved - but many methods have been employed. I submit the following for comment, and to solicit other ideas (abstract or practical)

1: Do like Belgium and Australia and make it obligatory to vote.
2: Make each election a referendum and if voter turnout is less than 51% no one is elected and a manager is appointed until another election is called.
3: Penalize property/business owners (double tax?) if they do not vote.
4: Get rid of council entirely and open every issue to a general online/postal vote. Make every vote a referendum with a 51% pass rate - I would love to see developers running around to drum up votes!
5: Go to a ward system so candidates represent a neighbourhood, not just the general population.
6: Deny a service (garbage pickup?) to non-voters and/or offer a free transit pass to those that do vote.
7: Deny non-voters the right to approach council for permits, grants or issues.

Any other ideas?

#60 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Create an online voting process, in order to make voting more accessible.
Create a civic electors league (like Saanich just did) in order to help make voters more informed - track councillors votes through an electronic voting process so that the incumbents records are there in plain sight. (I stole this idea - because I do agree with Ms B. that the only thing worse than non-engagement is uninformed or worse... shallow Karl Rove style informed electors)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users