7636 replies to this topic

#3901 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

come on....

Who cared about a few people parking some cars in a field

Excellent questions. You are totally correct...and we have all paid cash for some a service or goods without care, but where do we draw the line?

In this particular situation we are talking about parking your car near the airport, then being driven to and being picked up from the airport. What's the big deal?

Let's start with land use as there are a number of factors at play here. This particular property is situated within the ALR and within a municipality that has taken a hard line about land use complying with municipal bylaws. It would appear that this business has not complied with the many regulations that govern land use and business activities that these two jurisdictions require.

Then there is the shuttle service to and from the airport and the ferry terminal where taxi and ride sharing services are already at odds with provincial regulations over who can or can't be in the business of transporting people. I am not sure if airport regulations govern the dropping off of passengers, but they do have regulations about who is allowed to pick up passengers. The provincial government comes into play here as well regarding appropriate licencing of vehicles and chauffeurs, and ICBC would want to have a say about the insurance aspect of the vehicle, as well as the driver and passenger. 

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this operation is a far cry from a kid cutting a lawn. There is too much at stake here for the rest of us to turn a blind eye away from a civilized system. 

If we don't like the system then the system needs changing. Until then however, we should all try our best to follow the system that we have created for ourselves and others. 

Otherwise chaos.

• shoeflack likes this

#3902 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

What I find particularly fascinating is that this business operated under the nose of officialdom while the Woodwynn fiasco played out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3903 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

^ Ya not much in the way of fairness there?

Bylaw compliance is complaint driven. No complaint...no problem.

#3904 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

Policing, as in a constant presence of officer(s) at the terminal or an actual RCMP desk based out of the airport?

When I worked there for years after 9/11, the office for the RCMP was at the base of the stairs to the VAA office and Eagle Lounge - there was a big RCMP crest on the window to the office  

• Mike K. likes this

#3905 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

This might be a bit too early to confirm, but it looks like United is pulling their daily San Francisco service out of YYJ. They no longer are selling direct YYJ-SFO flights as of January 7, 2019.

#3906 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Oh no! Every time I took that flight it was packed or almost full. What do you suppose is the reason for this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3907 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

This might be a bit too early to confirm, but it looks like United is pulling their daily San Francisco service out of YYJ. They no longer are selling direct YYJ-SFO flights as of January 7, 2019.

:(

#3908 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

Could very well just be temporary. Alaska has also cut back a flight from their YYJ-SEA service around the same time...down to 3x daily from 4x. Delta has been doing very well out of YYJ and surely has taken a good chunk of business from Alaska and United for US service. Some of the flight prices on Delta to US destinations out of YYJ with one stop in Seattle are pretty incredible.

Price has been a challenge for United as well. Alaska and Delta both typically have a cheaper fare to SFO via Seattle despite the one stop layover.

• Mike K. likes this

#3909 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Oh no! Every time I took that flight it was packed or almost full. What do you suppose is the reason for this?

Likely the rising cost of fuel makes operating the CRJ on that long of a stage unprofitable.

Doubt that the YYJ-SFO market would support a larger aircraft with better per-seat economics.

#3910 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Price has been a challenge for United as well. Alaska and Delta both typically have a cheaper fare to SFO via Seattle despite the one stop layover.

If the flights are full as reported upthread, then it makes sense that the prices are higher. I wouldn't call that a challenge, I'd call that sound revenue management.

#3911 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

If the flights are full as reported upthread, then it makes sense that the prices are higher. I wouldn't call that a challenge, I'd call that sound revenue management.

30,620 on that route in 2017 according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. That's an average of 84 per day or 42 per flight. An 84% load factor, which puts the route right at the national average.

#3912 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Doesn't look like it impacts YYJ yet but Westjet has reported their first quarterly loss in 13 years and is cutting capacity 6% system wide to offset.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

#3913 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

Doesn't look like it impacts YYJ yet but Westjet has reported their first quarterly loss in 13 years and is cutting capacity 6% system wide to offset.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

One impact so far.

They currently run 5x daily to Edmonton. They are cutting that route to 2x daily effective October 28.

Calgary, Kelowna, and Vancouver service remains steady through the fall/winter so far.

#3914 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

They became another Air Canada and lost their edge.

I imagine unionization has deeply affected the company and its non-unionized upstart competitors are starting to make an impact.

They are now fully involved with international travel to Europe and soon Asia. In fact I met a group of British folks who flew on Westjet to Vancouver. Weird. But add to that it’s Encore sub, it’s no-frills sub and near arrival of wide body long range jets and they may have bitten off way more than they can chew?

Know it all.

#3915 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

It's a good time to buy WestJet stock, no doubt. They'll bounce back. The capital investments into the 787 program in addition to starting up a new low-frills airline have had a major impact on profitability for sure.

That being said, they have most definitely become the beast they always said they were fighting.

• jonny likes this

#3916 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

^I'm not so sure about that...the contract hasn't been negotiated yet, and i wouldn't be surprised to see a little more labour unrest before things sort themselves out.  

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3917 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this operation is a far cry from a kid cutting a lawn. There is too much at stake here for the rest of us to turn a blind eye away from a civilized system. 

Yes I agree, no question, but there are a lot of businesses that operate solely on cash like the guy who does gardening for my mother at $35/hr.  The question is how big is this business really

Frankly their rates aren't that good.  They want $10 per day and YYJ is $15/day so on a 4 day trip you are saving only $20 for the inconvenience of having to get a ride to the airport and then get the shuttle back again.  After 4 days or so of parking its probably the brake even point of just taking a taxi.  I still think generally speaking most people get a ride to and from the airport when needed

Could very well just be temporary. Alaska has also cut back a flight from their YYJ-SEA service around the same time...down to 3x daily from 4x. Delta has been doing very well out of YYJ and surely has taken a good chunk of business from Alaska and United for US service. Some of the flight prices on Delta to US destinations out of YYJ with one stop in Seattle are pretty incredible.

And they deserve it, I remember before Delta came into town Alaska wanted $300-350 each way to Seattle.  I fly Delta a lot out of YYJ now, earlier this year I paid $200 CDN to the US east coast right from Victoria! 

When I was on my first Delta flight the stewardess asked me if I wanted a sandwich, etc and I said no thinking it was going to be some stupid charge and then realized they were free when everyone else was grabbing them.  On the next flight 4-5 months ago I forgot my headphones and ones from Delta were only $2.  Its the little things that make them my favorite airline (and I hate airlines and banks)

#3918 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Yes I agree, no question, but there are a lot of businesses that operate solely on cash like the guy who does gardening for my mother at $35/hr.  The question is how big is this business really

Frankly their rates aren't that good.  They want $10 per day and YYJ is $15/day so on a 4 day trip you are saving only $20 for the inconvenience of having to get a ride to the airport and then get the shuttle back again.  After 4 days or so of parking its probably the brake even point of just taking a taxi.  I still think generally speaking most people get a ride to and from the airport when needed

And they deserve it, I remember before Delta came into town Alaska wanted $300-350 each way to Seattle.  I fly Delta a lot out of YYJ now, earlier this year I paid $200 CDN to the US east coast right from Victoria! 

When I was on my first Delta flight the stewardess asked me if I wanted a sandwich, etc and I said no thinking it was going to be some stupid charge and then realized they were free when everyone else was grabbing them.  On the next flight 4-5 months ago I forgot my headphones and ones from Delta were only $2.  Its the little things that make them my favorite airline (and I hate airlines and banks)

The only downside of Delta is their mileage plan. It's a shame Alaska and Delta parted ways because Alaska has the (soon to be used to have) best mileage plan in the industry. I've flown all over using my Alaska miles on their partners and it's a dream compared to aeroplan. Always TONS of first class seats up for grabs to everywhere. 

Edited by PraiseKek, 23 August 2018 - 05:51 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#3919 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

I’ve flown delta quite a bit, too, and lemme tell ya, their rates are something else. They’re competing HARD to establish themselves as the dominant carrier of SEA.

Know it all.

#3920 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for the heads-up, shoe!

United will indeed be cancelling its San Francisco flight on January 7th. The airline cites low demand in the off-season, but also a desire to service the flight with an aircraft that it currently has in low demand. A return to service, were it to occur, would focus on the early morning departure business market in lieu of the mid-day tourism market.

United is also interested in pursuing a Denver flight once Stapleton Airport's expansion is completed in late 2019/early 2020.

10-years-in,-United-Airlines-to-discontinue-Victoria-San-Francisco-flights.jpg

A passenger jet departs from Victoria International Airport on the Saanich Peninsula. United Airlines, one of three American air carriers operating out of Victoria International, will be discontinuing its direct flights between the BC Capital and San Francisco.

10-years in, United Airlines to discontinue Victoria-San Francisco flights

https://victoria.cit...ncisco-flights/

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users