Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7929 replies to this topic

#4561 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

Now that’s the kind of PR campaign the VAA should be running

It is a fairly short drive from London to Pearson or Hamilton so awareness is important.

#4562 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

The meeting minutes from the March 5th Consultative Committee are now available on the YYJ website. Helps to explain the various expansion diagrams on the powerpoint that was previously posted and goes into a bit of detail of the timeline of future expansion projects. This summer they will be lengthening taxiway echo which will decrease taxi time (currently some aircraft have to taxi down then turn around). And looks like next year they'll begin work on expanding the apron on the west side of the terminal and adding 2 additional jet bridges on the upper floor. 

Edited by Kilo95, 14 April 2019 - 04:14 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4563 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

The meeting minutes from the March 5th Consultative Committee are now available on the YYJ website. Helps to explain the various expansion diagrams on the powerpoint that was previously posted and goes into a bit of detail of the timeline of future expansion projects. This summer they will be lengthening taxiway echo which will decrease taxi time (currently some aircraft have to taxi down then turn around). And looks like next year they'll begin work on expanding the apron on the west side of the terminal and adding 2 additional jet bridges on the upper floor. 

Seems odd that they would want to add jet bridges when 1/2 half of the users (Delta and United) are leaving.

#4564 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Delta and United certainly didn't make up half of the aircraft movements.

I'm not even sure that the UA CRJ used a jet bridge.

Edited by vortoozo, 15 April 2019 - 12:02 PM.

• jonny likes this

#4565 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

Seems odd that they would want to add jet bridges when 1/2 half of the users (Delta and United) are leaving.

Delta and United certainly didn't make up half of the aircraft movements.

I'm not even sure that the UA CRJ used a jet bridge.

Yep, UA never (or at least very, very rarely) used a bridge.

• jonny and Missed Approach like this

#4566 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,318 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:08 PM

It looks like a 600' addition to the western end of runway 09-27 is now the plan in lieu of a 1,455 foot extension (shared between both ends).

600-foot-runway-extension-at-Victoria-International-Airport-eyed-for-2023-2024.jpg

Identified in blue is a 600 foot extension to the western end of runway 09-27, the longest runway at Victoria International Airport. Although shorter than the initially planned sub-1,500 foot extension announced a decade ago, the scaled down plan is more practical, according to the airport authority's board, which cites advancement in aircraft technology as permitting shorter runways for larger aircraft.

600 foot runway extension at Victoria International Airport eyed for 2023-2024

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4567 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

Traffic volumes are down in March over last year by 0.6% to 163,795 compared to 164,751.

Thus far in 2019 every month has seen fewer passenger than the same period last year, with a cumulative reduction in passengers of 2.0%, or 8,806.

• rjag, Kilo95, Missed Approach and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4568 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Easter weekend straddled March & April last year - that may have something to do with the drop of 1000 passengers at least in March. Plus one would assume that United was a good chunk of that, with 50 arriving and 50 departing seats available per day last year.

#4569 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Will be interesting to see how this years total passenger numbers compare to last year, with United/Flair/Delta (in the Fall) all gone this year. 

#4570 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

i want to know more about these powerful new planes that can take off with loads of fuel on a shortish runway.

aerodynamics have not changed much. a plane weighing x amount still needs a speed of y to get off the ground in z number of feet. i will allow that some engines are stronger now to propel that plane closer to y amount of speed faster (shorter).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#4571 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for posting that, interesting read.

I have a far less grandiose request for the VAA than a runway extension, but something interestingly I heard several other people verbalize when I was out there last week to pick up friends coming in from YVR.

When every other airport in 2019 has large easy to read plasma Arrival-Departure screens seemingly mounted every ten feet no matter where you are, I'm unclear why YYJ cheaps out and provides only 4 crappy little screens in the "Arrivals" rotunda area; as it was busy the night I showed up and their plane delayed I wound sitting at the back of that area, farthest from the screens as it happened.

Since I don't have Superman or Optimus Prime-like telescopic vision periodically I - and then I noticed others too - would be compelled to get up and walk across the rotunda area so we could read the flight information. More, and bigger, screens would be a minor but welcome upgrade.

#4572 rjag

rjag
  • 6,364 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for posting that, interesting read.

I have a far less grandiose request for the VAA than a runway extension, but something interestingly I heard several other people verbalize when I was out there last week to pick up friends coming in from YVR.

When every other airport in 2019 has large easy to read plasma Arrival-Departure screens seemingly mounted every ten feet no matter where you are, I'm unclear why YYJ cheaps out and provides only 4 crappy little screens in the "Arrivals" rotunda area; as it was busy the night I showed up and their plane delayed I wound sitting at the back of that area, farthest from the screens as it happened.

Since I don't have Superman or Optimus Prime-like telescopic vision periodically I - and then I noticed others too - would be compelled to get up and walk across the rotunda area so we could read the flight information. More, and bigger, screens would be a minor but welcome upgrade.

Just use the interweb option on your phone as its prob more reliable than the screens anyway

http://www.victoriaa...rt.com/arrivals

https://flightaware....estination=CYYJ

#4573 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

No phone, had left it at home :)

• rjag likes this

#4574 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

i want to know more about these powerful new planes that can take off with loads of fuel on a shortish runway.

aerodynamics have not changed much. a plane weighing x amount still needs a speed of y to get off the ground in z number of feet. i will allow that some engines are stronger now to propel that plane closer to y amount of speed faster (shorter).

A Dreamliner and an A350 could theoretically both fly from Victoria to London. They have a range that far surpasses the fuel requirement from YYJ-Heathrow. Fully loaded they require a minimum of 8,500 feet, but with ~60% max fuel load 7,600 feet should be ok.

Older aircraft, like the 767-300ER that flies out of YYJ to Toronto, would require a full fuel load to make it to Heathrow and that would be too heavy for anything below 9,000 feet.
  • rjag, Kilo95 and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#4575 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

JUST READ from twitter: Flair Air has dropped YYJ this summer. They expand and add new routes this summer. YVR-YYC-YYZ

Flair Airlines released its latest summer schedule, Thursday, revealing new routes between Calgary and Vancouver and Toronto, and bringing into sharper relief the competition setting up between Canada’s two ultra low-cost airlines.

In its posted schedule, Flair plans 136 flights the week of July 1, to eight cities, all in Canada. That represents a decline from the airline’s launch in the summer of 2018, though as the airline adds larger Boeing 737-800 aircraft, capacity will be similar system-wide. Flair had announced plans to return to Victoria, British Columbia this summer, though the city has since been dropped.

Wow......

#4576 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Yes, they nixed YYJ a few weeks back.

• Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.

#4577 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

Yes, they nixed YYJ a few weeks back.

News to me, I missed that but just read it now.....hmmmmmm. 

#4578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:24 AM

NAV CANADA currently has three aircraft for conducting routine flight inspections across Canada: One De Havilland Dash 8-100 (DH8-100) turboprop aircraft, and two Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ-100).

However, the DH8-100 is nearing the end of its lifecycle and can no longer flight check some newer procedure types that are currently being deployed in Canada and around the world. As such, in the next few weeks, the DH8-100 will be decommissioned and NAV CANADA will rely solely on its two CRJ-100 jet aircraft to conduct all flight checks in Canada, regardless of whether or not jet aircraft are presently in use at the airport undergoing inspection.

#4579 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,248 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

I noticed at least one search and rescue type of plane flying patterns around the Port Angeles area and Olympic Mountains yesterday. A routine practice?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4580 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

^An all-red Dash-8? Transport Canada maritime surveillance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users