Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#4721 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

^ The tourists stayed away due to the horrible weather we had in July and has nothing to do with the decline of our downtown.

Edited by spanky123, 19 August 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#4722 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

The downturn in the energy sector is also likely to have had a significant impact on passenger volumes, especially that axed YEG route

#4723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Cross-border passenger volumes dropped by 17.7%. United's departure from YYJ is having a major impact, it looks like.

And Delta's last flight will be on September 2nd. This is shaping up to be a very tough year for the airport.

Domestic traffic fell 5.5%.

• Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4724 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

Meanwhile YVR (Vancouver), YYZ (Toronto), YUL (Montreal), YYC (Calgary) are all up and those were the only airports I checked. My bet is that most if not all airports across Canada except Victoria are doing very well. 

#4725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

YYJ is definitely hurting due to the reduction in flights. And with a reduction in flights, we're likely to see an increase in fares, meaning even more people will opt to venture to Vancouver prior to boarding a plane and this will compound the slide in passenger volumes.

It's like we're back to 2005.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4726 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Meanwhile YVR (Vancouver), YYZ (Toronto), YUL (Montreal), YYC (Calgary) are all up and those were the only airports I checked. My bet is that most if not all airports across Canada except Victoria are doing very well. 

YOW (Ottawa) and YWG (Winnipeg) are up. YLW (Kelowna) is down.

#4727 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

YLW (Kelowna) is down.

Down for July but still up half a percent year-to-date. They're hanging on by a thread based off of their strong winter! Summer hasn't been too kind to them, so they likely will be down year-to-date after August/September numbers come out. But should bounce back in November/December.

#4728 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

YYJ is definitely hurting due to the reduction in flights. And with a reduction in flights, we're likely to see an increase in fares, meaning even more people will opt to venture to Vancouver prior to boarding a plane and this will compound the slide in passenger volumes.

Looking at June, passenger traffic on the ferries was down as well so it is not like people are choosing not to fly and taking the car instead. 

At least the airport expansion project should last them a few decades then!

Edited by spanky123, 19 August 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#4729 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

^ The tourists stayed away due to the horrible weather we had in July and has nothing to do with the decline of our downtown.

The weather was fine in July. Not as dry as usual, but most folks don't book flights last minute for vacations.

#4730 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

The weather was fine in July. Not as dry as usual, but most folks don't book flights last minute for vacations.

I forgot to add the sarcastic font. How about this one, the Mayor claims that the reason why air and ferry travel is declining is because more and more people are coming to the island by bicycle?!

• Mike K., lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#4731 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Again, I go back to the lack of marketing, just about every other airport wants ppl thru their gates and bums in seats......YYJ feels like a airport in Oak Bay....

#4732 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

Air Canada, which operated YYJ-YEG (Edmonton) as a 2x daily seasonal summer service in 2018 but did not operate the route this summer, has put 2x daily YYJ-YEG back on the schedule beginning May 2020.

I don't think it will be back, they left it on the timetable for a long time, even on the schedule but never operated like you said. I don't see it coming back

Edited by Missed Approach, 20 August 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#4733 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

Again, I go back to the lack of marketing, just about every other airport wants ppl thru their gates and bums in seats......YYJ feels like a airport in Oak Bay....

Maybe YYJ should turn their marketing over to the Oak Bay police; they seem to have a talent for self-promotion.

#4734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

oak bay police have turned their serious policing over to saanich so they might have the time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#4735 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I don't think it will be back, they left it on the timetable for a long time, even on the schedule but never operated like you said. I don't see it coming back

Yes, they left the 2019 flight on the timetable but didn’t operate it. However, they never sold tickets for the flight. Big difference here is that they are actively selling tickets on the direct route for next summer. Jazz has about a dozen planes on order to add to their fleet and have significantly cut back their charter business in favour of their AC contract. AC is also starting to take delivery of their A220s which helps with their MAX8 issues and means Jazz isn’t having to fill in on mainline routes. I don’t expect Air Canada to drop this route again next summer.

#4736 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Pacific Coastal is increasing capacity on their non-stop YYJ-YXS (Prince George) service. Adding a Saturday flight to make the service daily, as well as moving a couple of flights to their larger Saab aircraft. Good news for YYJ.

https://www.pacificc...-prince-george/

#4737 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

Is there any plans in the near future to have that sit down, one on one interview that VV had a few years ago with the CEO. What's really going on? Is the rumor true United has no plans to come back after Frontier took the gates at DEN UA wanted? Some good news with the up swing with more Sunwing destinations this winter but still no Vegas or new domestic routes. How did YUL and YYZ traffic fair this summer? Where are major projects in construction, the lower hold room was marked for opening by the end of Aug but that line was removed from the website projects page. I have more questions but

#4738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Was it supposed to be ready that soon? The entire project is a 27 months undertaking.

I'll reach out the Mr. Dickson and discuss a time for that Q&A. Keep the questions coming in the meantime, for sure!

Know it all.

#4739 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

I think perhaps construction of the terminal expansion was supposed to be Fall 2019 sometime, with full completion in Spring 2020 (that includes renovations to the existing area). There are 3 phases. I believe phase 1 was due to be done sometime this fall, but can't specifically recall it being August 2019. 

Schedule: The project commenced on January 15, 2018.  There are 3 primary phases of work associated with this project.  The first phase being the main lower passenger departure lounge expansion to the north over 19 months.  Phase two involves the new washroom block and vertical circulation core to the basement over seven months.  Phase three includes renovations to the existing passenger departure lounge and is anticipated to take one month.  The total project is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.

Edited by Kilo95, 22 August 2019 - 06:12 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4740 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

I read awhile ago it was by Aug 2019ish the main / gates holdroom was gonna be done, and then washrooms and food outlets would be later on being fully complete by spring 2020

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users