Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#4861 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Jeepers. 'An ordeal'. It's no different than any other trip to the opposite side of the world, in one hop or 3. If 3 hops, you actually can sleep less usually, as you're getting off, getting to another gate, maybe have 3-5 hours to kill in some big airport with crappy seats. I'll take the single flight any day, assuming the cost isn't more than $3-400 different than a 2 leg journey (or less depending on how many people).

We'll probably never have a flight that long from here. The only candidate distance wise I can think of would be YVR to Cape Town or Jo'Burg, but that seems unlikely.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4862 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

Is this where all the ULCC news has been posted? Bad news from Canada Jetlines today...

Canada Jetlines postpones launch over financing challenges, lays off staff

VANCOUVER — Canada Jetlines Ltd. is postponing its planned December launch and laying off most employees after failing to secure $40 million in required financing and losing investment partners.

The company says the Dec. 17 startup of the ultra-low-cost airline will be delayed to an undisclosed date and it will not pay additional deposits to receive the first two Airbus 320 planes next month.

Jetlines says it couldn’t satisfy financing conditions in addition to funds committed by SmartLynx. As a result SmartLynx and InHarv ULCC Growth Fund have exercised their rights to terminate their investment commitments.

via https://www.citynews...lays-off-staff/

• Kilo95 likes this

#4863 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

Mike's happy he sold his stock.

#4864 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

In other news, water is wet and the sun is hot.

Just shocking news. Flair is also about to get flushed, as they owe Kelowna Flightcraft some serious cash.

I guess Swoop will be gone in no time, as they've accomplished their mission, right?

#4865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

^ yes indeed perhaps.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#4866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

Yup, Swoop will be gone in a jiffy.

My thinking is Jetlines was hoping a change in government would yield changes to foreign investment restrictions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4867 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

In other news, water is wet and the sun is hot.

Just shocking news. Flair is also about to get flushed, as they owe Kelowna Flightcraft some serious cash.

I guess Swoop will be gone in no time, as they've accomplished their mission, right?

Eek - sure doesn't look good: https://globalnews.c...flair-airlines/

Especially going into the slower travel months.

#4868 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

kelowna flightcraft provides dispatch services:

A licensed flight dispatcher or flight operations officer is required by law to carry out flight planning and flight watch tasks in many commercial operating environments (e.g., US FAR §121,[2] Canadian regulations). These regulations vary by country but more and more countries require their airline operators to employ such personnel.

https://en.wikipedia...Flight_planning

#4869 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

Jeepers. 'An ordeal'. It's no different than any other trip to the opposite side of the world, in one hop or 3. If 3 hops, you actually can sleep less usually, as you're getting off, getting to another gate, maybe have 3-5 hours to kill in some big airport with crappy seats. I'll take the single flight any day, assuming the cost isn't more than $3-400 different than a 2 leg journey (or less depending on how many people).

We'll probably never have a flight that long from here. The only candidate distance wise I can think of would be YVR to Cape Town or Jo'Burg, but that seems unlikely.

I'm the exact opposite, I will take a two or three hour layover any day. Go to the lounge, clean up, have a couple of drinks, something to eat, catch up on your e-mails, use a real washroom. Just had a 4 hour layover in LHR a couple of weeks ago, beautiful new lounge with lots of food and drink and comfy seats.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4870 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

I jest, but actually I’d put money on Swoop hanging around for some time. If anything, to keep the Competitions Bureau away. They probably need to operate for another two years at least to avoid a guilty verdict with respect to predatory practices.

#4871 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

So no one has been in the new terminal?

It opened four days ago apparently!

thumbnail_IMG_3715.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3728.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

#4872 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

What a great terminal if I was an airline I’d love to run a direct flight out of there.

#4873 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

Still under construction building was violently shaking do the jackhammering I moved areas.

#4874 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

I jest, but actually I’d put money on Swoop hanging around for some time. If anything, to keep the Competitions Bureau away. They probably need to operate for another two years at least to avoid a guilty verdict with respect to predatory practices.

I agree, Swoop will hang around as a pre-existing threat to anybody thinking of getting in the ULCC business. They can raise their rates a bit and raise a ton of money then drop them back down if someone proposes to start up a new airline.

• shoeflack likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4875 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

WestJet continues to build out its international network, adding Calgary to Rome service on their 787 Dreamliner. Good little connection from Victoria, for sure.
  • lanforod likes this

#4876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

At the prices they charge to travel across this country, you might as well go to Rome!

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4877 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

Calgary is the Rome of Alberta.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4878 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

On the home front, the season has changed and so have things at YYJ. 

I see Air Canada has cut two more YVR bound flights and reduced some flights from daily to x67, meaning not operating on weekends, plus one YYC flight cut for the winter. WJ has cut one YEG flt to two daily during the week and one on the weekend.

Charter season is off and running as WJ converts it's domestic runs from Jet service to Turbo prop on the weekends for almost all YYC and YEG trips.

On a side note, there is a new cargo route, as an overnite run too which is new to YYJ, SkyLink Express which is based in Ont, already operates C208 from YYJ to YVR at 6/7am and then return at 3/4/pm, now has a 1900C running from YYC > YYJ, departing YYC around 2-3am -> YYJ then around 4/5am to YVR. Must be enough over night cargo to be running a flight like that. Not sure for who ( Amazon )?

And Dash 8-100's are back in BC. (not to YYJ) but some destinations in BC are seeing reduction in seats, from the 50 seat 300

and 74 seat 400Q. YCG has their D8-300's reduced to 100's and YLW  has a couple D8-100 daily service. I guess 400's are needed else where with the Max still out or numbers are down alot in general.

Edited by Missed Approach, 16 November 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#4879 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

I see Air Canada has cut two more YVR bound flights and reduced some flights from daily to x67, meaning not operating on weekends, plus one YYC flight cut for the winter.

YYC is still double daily. That hasn't changed.

#4880 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

It was three times daily, the 0650am flight has been axed and in Jan 2020 the 1135am flight shows on the timetable that it ends.

Edited by Missed Approach, 21 November 2019 - 01:52 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Missed Approach