Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7641 replies to this topic

#5081 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:15 AM

Looks like a typo. Maybe should read 76", looks about that.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5082 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

The VAA still believes United Airlines will be back, now 2021.....

If numbers are down more than they planned, what project gets put on hold?

Is Pre-US-clearance now just a pipe dream?

https://www.peninsul..._medium=twitter

#5083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

The VAA still believes United Airlines will be back, now 2021.....

If numbers are down more than they planned, what project gets put on hold?

Is Pre-US-clearance now just a pipe dream?

https://www.peninsul..._medium=twitter

With 3 US flights a day I think pre-clearance is a non-starter.

Governments don't have the ability to go backwards, all they know how to do is spend more.

#5084 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

i like this part:

but hold on.

https://www.timescol...ured-1.24088806

how did it go from 56 inches (under 5 feet) to over 6 feet within four paragraphs?

unless jeremy (whose name also changes to jeremiah within the same article) is a very small man the photo would suggest it's over 6 feet.

03032020-plane-jpg.jpg

Facts haven't mattered in a news story in a long time... as long as it's sensational, run it!  :rolleyes:

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#5085 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Looks like a typo. Maybe should read 76", looks about that.

If it was a C172 it would have a 80" Hartzell prop.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5086 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:49 AM

maybe with the victoria airport doing so poorly it's time to look at that cowichan valley airport. 

start from scratch with today's reality.  and all it should do is fly flights back and forth to yvr every 5 minutes. 

booked by an app.  it could come with a huge $1/day parking lot too.

chemainus to vancouver every 5 minutes for $59 each way.  8-10 minute flights on dash 8's.  the airline serving this route only needs about 5 or 6 planes.

50 passengers each trip is ~ $3000 revenue each trip.  $72k per hour of operation with planes flying both ways.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2020 - 07:01 AM.

• Bernard and lanforod like this

#5087 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

With 3 US flights a day I think pre-clearance is a non-starter.

Governments don't have the ability to go backwards, all they know how to do is spend more.

When you say government, are you saying the US government as in CBP ( US customs ) ? They are already based in Victoria, seasonally out of Sidney. 

There was a time when YYJ had Vegas and Phoenix flights on top of regular SFO and SEA ….. I think the VAA just never moved on pre-clearance because of money yet they still have it listed as a project for mid 2020's in their master plan of 2012.

#5088 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:54 AM

maybe with the victoria airport doing so poorly it's time to look at that cowichan valley airport. 

start from scratch with today's reality.  and all it should do is fly flights back and forth to yvr every 5 minutes. 

chemainus to vancouver every 5 minutes for $59 each way.  8-10 minute flights on dash 8's.  the airline serving this route only needs about 5 or 6 planes.

50 passengers each trip is ~ $3000 revenue each trip.  $72k per hour of operation with planes flying both ways.

I like the concept, I would think that having something a reasonable distance from Victoria and Nanaimo would make more sense for the south island, but I am not sure if this idea makes sense unless both Victoria and Nanaimo close down

#5089 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:03 PM

attachicon.gifscreenshot-www.google.ca-2020.03.04-09_51_18.png

Each aircraft would only be able to do 1 run an hour, hourly cost for a Dash 8 is over $3000 USD and you have added in parking.

I won't be investing.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

I like the concept, I would think that having something a reasonable distance from Victoria and Nanaimo would make more sense for the south island, but I am not sure if this idea makes sense unless both Victoria and Nanaimo close down

If you think YYJ is too far for people, how would Chemainus be a better alternative?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:48 AM

well it's 27 minutes by car to yyj from veterans parkway and tch.  it's 53 minutes to chemainus.  for anyone over the malahat it's closer.  

but this is all about starting over with an airport that's specialized just in getting to vancouver.  that's all it does.  gets you fast and into the megacity with all the connections in the world.  no point waiting for yyj to have montreal or new york flights or portland flights.  just get to vancouver and then go from there.  so drive a few minutes longer and bang you have a flight leaving literally every 5 minutes.

it's beautifully designed and super-efficient because it has one sole incredible purpose.  to get you to the largest international hub north of the 49th in all of north america.  every 5 minutes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 04:51 AM.

#5092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:30 AM

That's what Harbour Air is for, though.

You just pull up to their terminal, park, walk up to the counter, buy a ticket and you're off on the next flight to downtown Vancouver or YVR, or Seattle, or even Whistler or Saltspring. If it's night time you head over to Helijet. And you don't even need to drive, you can take public transit that will get you within two blocks of the terminal. Over the Malahat you'd be 99% reliant on private transport.

You also don't run the risk of a shut down Malahat, which happens enough to be a major impediment.

Also every 5 minutes is unworkable, neither is every 10. That's way, way too much capacity unless you're flying Cessnas, and if that's the case you're not landing them at YVR.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5093 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:26 AM

That's what Harbour Air is for, though.

You just pull up to their terminal, park, walk up to the counter, buy a ticket and you're off on the next flight to downtown Vancouver or YVR, or Seattle, or even Whistler or Saltspring. If it's night time you head over to Helijet. And you don't even need to drive, you can take public transit that will get you within two blocks of the terminal. Over the Malahat you'd be 99% reliant on private transport.

You also don't run the risk of a shut down Malahat, which happens enough to be a major impediment.

Also every 5 minutes is unworkable, neither is every 10. That's way, way too much capacity unless you're flying Cessnas, and if that's the case you're not landing them at YVR.

except your car is costing you $30/day for parking.

5-minute intervals are workable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#5094 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:29 AM

Each aircraft would only be able to do 1 run an hour, hourly cost for a Dash 8 is over $3000 USD and you have added in parking.

I won't be investing.

why only 1 an hour?  i expect my planes to do at least 3.  this is an extreme-efficiency operation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 06:31 AM.

#5095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:57 AM

How do you manage a dozen aircraft per hour? You can’t service that. It’s unworkable. Even a slight delay would have 15 planes jockeying for room then major delays on both ends and you’re done.

This is not an idea grounded in reality, I’m afraid.

Know it all.

#5096 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

why only 1 an hour?  i expect my planes to do at least 3.  this is an extreme-efficiency operation.

How do you manage a dozen aircraft per hour? You can’t service that. It’s unworkable. Even a slight delay would have 15 planes jockeying for room then major delays on both ends and you’re done.

This is not an idea grounded in reality, I’m afraid.

Keep in mind you're also jockeying for take-off, landing, and gate permissions from YVR. There's only a single runway for take-offs so it can be quite the line at peak periods.

As an interesting aside, the Dash-7 (precursor to the Dash-8) was designed to fulfill this very role. The thought at the time was that new downtown airports could be connected to larger suburban hubs through frequent flights on small planes capable of taking off and landing on exceptionally short runways. In the case of the Dash-7, a 2,000 ft runway was sufficient. Obviously, this idea never took off.  :cool: 

#5097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

I’m monitoring very closely how James Bogusz, a former YYJ exec, operates as CEO of Regina International.

YYJ benefitted from his enthusiasm and spirit. He was very approachable and had a genuine desire to see the airport expand its investment opportunities and grow its offerings to travellers.

One of the first things Bogusz implemented in Regina was a parking rate reduction for vehicles parked longer than 5 days, from $15/day to $7. Makes you wonder if Regina is working to aggressively compete with Saskatoon.

Know it all.

#5098 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

Pacific Coastal has announced a new 1x weekly (Saturday) summer seasonal service between YYJ and Tofino.

https://www.pacificc...ria-and-tofino/

#5099 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

Nice!

Know it all.

#5100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:37 PM

How do you manage a dozen aircraft per hour? 

i manage a dozen aircraft per hour in my sleep.  they are 50-seaters.  regulations say they can come and go every 1 minute if i want.  they do not create turbulence.

my airport only deals with aircraft of one size only - going to vancouver.  nothing else.  it's easy.

it's like a busy bus stop.  no more.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 04:40 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users