Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7637 replies to this topic

#5101 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

I’m monitoring very closely how James Bogusz, a former YYJ exec, operates as CEO of Regina International.

YYJ benefitted from his enthusiasm and spirit. He was very approachable and had a genuine desire to see the airport expand its investment opportunities and grow its offerings to travellers.

One of the first things Bogusz implemented in Regina was a parking rate reduction for vehicles parked longer than 5 days, from $15/day to $7. Makes you wonder if Regina is working to aggressively compete with Saskatoon.

James was a HUGE loss for the VAA, but the CEO kept him on a short rope. He is doing wonders for YQR.

#5102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

i manage a dozen aircraft per hour in my sleep.  they are 50-seaters.  regulations say they can come and go every 1 minute if i want.  they do not create turbulence.

my airport only deals with aircraft of one size only - going to vancouver.  nothing else.  it's easy.

it's like a busy bus stop.  no more.

my airport is also not like any others in the entire world. 

it's built for 2020.  not 1970.

and for our unique situation.  unlike any others in the world.

i don't have other strange and diverse variables at my airport.  all i got is dash-8s going to and coming from vancouver.  every 5 minutes.  nothing else.

i can handle that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 04:51 PM.

#5103 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

why only 1 an hour?  i expect my planes to do at least 3.  this is an extreme-efficiency operation.

It can only be extreme efficiency on your end, if you are going to YVR you are going to land on the north runway and you can expect a taxi time of 15-30 minutes to get to your spot on the south side. To disembark, embark is another 20 minutes, then another taxi of 5 minutes to find you are 15th in line for departure. Good luck.

• shoeflack likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5104 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:07 PM

It can only be extreme efficiency on your end, if you are going to YVR you are going to land on the north runway and you can expect a taxi time of 15-30 minutes to get to your spot on the south side. To disembark, embark is another 20 minutes, then another taxi of 5 minutes to find you are 15th in line for departure. Good luck.

Not to mention, gate congestion, flow times when IFR is CAT1 or lower, de icing, mechanical, fueling delays, bag transfers, late connections …… YVR is already super busy, it's a knock on affect to outlying bases. Flights by-passing YVR benefit from not having to hold in YYJ for a flow slot time when the weather or ATC delays gets really bad.   

#5105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

my airport is going to negotiate priority access to everything at yvr.  we are bringing 700k people there.

#5106 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

^

How many people do Westjet and Air Canada bring to YVR?

#5107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:18 AM

my airline is very pushy.  if yvr refuses to play ball we are looking at boundary bay airport.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 March 2020 - 06:19 AM.

#5108 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:44 AM

How would having the airport at ZBB (Boundary Bay) help fliers access YVR or downtown without a vehicle? Even so, time and convenience are lost.

#5109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:48 AM

How would having the airport at ZBB (Boundary Bay) help fliers access YVR or downtown without a vehicle? Even so, time and convenience are lost.

we are using a multi-faceted approach that reflects our core principles and delivers value to all stakeholders.

by achieving long-term buy-in on our core competencies we are able to empower leading-edge proprietary designs in all aspects of our operations moving forward.  suffice to say there's lots of moving parts but using best practices to think outside of the box we can leverage robust solutions in all areas.   

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 March 2020 - 06:57 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

Ok, we done with this now? I heard Harbour Air is scared stiff and it’s affecting pilot morale.
  • vortoozo, Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5111 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:28 AM

Didn't you hear? His airline is also building rapid transit connections to downtown from Boundary Bay because his airline is the most powerful and richest airline in the world apparently and does things that no one else can even imagine.

Here's a newsflash about YVR. They really don't care about domestic airlines. Talk to anyone in the airline industry...they squeeze domestic airlines incredibly hard in favor of getting international connections, even WestJet and Air Canada.

• Missed Approach and Victoria Watcher like this

#5112 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:15 PM

I hate to break up this Rapid Air Vancouver Island style.... from the old Air Canada Regional carriers days.

This may also explain Delta's partnership with Compass and their departure from YYJ more, and now the Pacific Northwest.

https://www.bizjourn...97-layoffs.html

Edited by Missed Approach, 06 March 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#5113 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:48 AM

Didn't you hear? His airline is also building rapid transit connections to downtown from Boundary Bay because his airline is the most powerful and richest airline in the world apparently and does things that no one else can even imagine.

that's probably true.  per passenger they probably make a lot more on each international arrival/departure than domestics.  in a number of ways from landing fees to food/drink/merch purchases to ground limos and taxis and other revenue from those more affluent travellers. 

#5114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

I hate to break up this Rapid Air Vancouver Island style.... from the old Air Canada Regional carriers days.

This may also explain Delta's partnership with Compass and their departure from YYJ more, and now the Pacific Northwest.

https://www.bizjourn...97-layoffs.html

Ah, that must be it!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5115 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

The CEO of the VAA has and will keep regurgitate the message he was given from United Airlines, that "they maybe back", maybe was for 2020 or 2021, 2022. That was when SkyWest left in 2019. There hasn't been an update to that "promise" or "suggestion" from someone close to the VAA office since 2019 statement was made.

Reason why, its the new gates fight in DEN.  

https://thepointsguy...delta-airlines/

Pre Clearance would help the cause, landing as a domestic flight in DEN....

Edited by Missed Approach, 07 March 2020 - 10:17 AM.

#5116 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

Vic Watcher,  what are you going to pay your pilots?  And, given the burgeoning shortage of same in Canada nowadays, where are you going to get them from?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5117 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

Why keep feeding the troll?

#5118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:20 AM

Vic Watcher,  what are you going to pay your pilots?  And, given the burgeoning shortage of same in Canada nowadays, where are you going to get them from?

same rate as commuter airline pilots are paid in north america.  $50 to $60k.  

saudi arabia and india.

i'll do a labour market impact assessment and present my case for tfw's.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 March 2020 - 05:23 AM.

#5119 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

Very interesting article, yet these two routes have no direct service and the other has twice daily service by just one airline.

I truly wonder if the VAA @ YYJ even looks at numbers or pushed for carriers to invest in a route that looks good.

https://www.anna.aer...awa-victoria-1/

#5120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Interesting indeed.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users