• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#5141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

A flight from Cabo has just arrived.

I thought only YVR was handling international arrivals???

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5142 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

Border restrictions aren't in effect until Wednesday.

Edit: effective 18 March at 00:01 EDT for flight arrivals, but flights to/from the US and sun destinations such as Mexico and the Caribbean are not affected by this restriction and can operate their regular routes and land at current Canadian destinations.  Pre-board screening by airlines is effective 19 March at 00:01 EDT.  Source

Edited by kenmuir, 17 March 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#5143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

Ah, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5144 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

Yes, international flight arrivals at YYJ aren’t impacted by the restrictions.

#5145 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:35 PM

Air North has shut down operations in their system. I don't know about all rumors but one before this was they were planning on pulling out of Victoria in late May and moving passengers over to PCA for connections to YVR and north.

#5146 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

Air North has shut down operations in their system. I don't know about all rumors but one before this was they were planning on pulling out of Victoria in late May and moving passengers over to PCA for connections to YVR and north.

Huh? They've cancelled about 2-3 flights per day. Certainly not a system-wide shutdown.

There's a list of cancellations dated 90 minutes ago (and 30 minutes after your post) listed halway down this page: https://flyairnorth....Advisories.aspx

#5147 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

Huh? They've cancelled about 2-3 flights per day. Certainly not a system-wide shutdown.

There's a list of cancellations dated 90 minutes ago (and 30 minutes after your post) listed halway down this page: https://flyairnorth....Advisories.aspx

My bad, bad source but the end of service is something I'm going to ask more about. Lots floating around on social media platforms right now.

#5148 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:25 PM

Air Canada has suspended service from Victoria to Calgary & Toronto from March 23rd through April 30th:

https://www.aircanad...travel.html#/na

#5149 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:28 PM

Over the last 3 days, flight cancelations out of YYJ have ranged from 8 to 10 or so up to 15 today, compared to YLW, only 4 to 5 daily flights canceled ….. interesting.

#5150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:36 AM

Pacific Coastal Airlines is temporarily suspending operations, due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

PCA president Quentin Smith made the announcement on the company website.

“Due to the rapidly deteriorating situation and the need to be socially responsible during this State of Emergency, I am announcing that effective end of day Tuesday, March 24 we will implement a temporary suspension of all Pacific Coastal network operations and anticipate that we will resume regular operations on May 3, 2020.

Link operations will continue under the guidance and direction of WestJet until further notice.”

Customers with reservations already booked will be contacted directy.

https://www.vicnews....id-19-outbreak/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2020 - 08:37 AM.

#5151 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:43 PM

Well that impacts my life, my youngest son was booked on PCA to fly down at Easter

• Missed Approach and Victoria Watcher like this

#5152 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

Well that impacts my life, my youngest son was booked on PCA to fly down at Easter

My daughter was coming down from PG next week and going back in April

• Bernard and Victoria Watcher like this

#5153 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:35 PM

WestJet is suspending its Victoria service to both Edmonton and Kelowna. Will only run Calgary and Vancouver until the end of April.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5154 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

I have a YEG to YYJ trip booked for April 4 to 14 on WestJet.

No email from them advising of a cancellation.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

#5155 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

^Don't expect an email anytime soon. We were booked on an Air Canada flight from PHX to YYJ for April 19th. We checked every day on the AC website and it was shown as a confirmed flight with no problems. My understanding was that AC was going to stop most transborder flights April 1.

We called AC and after a two hour hold and then an hour to resolve the agent discovered that the flight would not be going. We got rebooked for March 31st.

The airlines are swamped so don't expect much notification if any.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5156 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

It took 48 hours for Pacific Coastal to inform me the flight was cancelled after they announced they were shutting down till May

#5157 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:25 PM

Alaska down to one daily SEA-YYJ flight for the time being. Most likely getting people home.

#5158 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:46 AM

Transat AT Inc. temporarily lays off 3,600 people in Canada.

#5159 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

Posted at 19:42 22 Mar

19:42 22 Mar
Singapore Airlines cuts 96% of capacity

Singapore Airlines has slashed 96% of its capacity until the end of April, amid an unprecedented crisis in the airline industry.

The move will result in 138 SIA and SilkAir planes being grounded - out of a fleet of 147.

Its low-cost carrier Scoot will also suspend most of its network, grounding 47 out of 49 planes.

The group called the outbreak the "greatest challenge [it] has faced in its existence".

#5160 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

23:42 22 Mar

UAE to suspend all flights

Sameer Hashmi

BBC World reporter

The United Arab Emirates - home to the world's busiest international airport in Dubai - has announced that it will suspend all passenger and transit flights to and from the country for two weeks, starting from 25 March.

Dubai international airport saw 86.4 million passengers in 2019. It's also home to Emirates - one of the world's biggest airlines. Emirates has now also announced that it will suspend all passenger flights by 25 March.

It comes as all shopping and commercial centres are set to close in the next 48 hours. However stores selling essential goods,including supermarkets and pharmacies, will remain open.

Restaurants will have their service limited to deliveries.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users