• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#6421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:55 PM

Jesus.

There are Air Canada flights, highest price of $1175 tomorrow, then reducing down to the 900s then 800s in subsequent days from Havana to Regina.

I’d fly back one of those, then deal with the airline later.
  • Matt R. and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6422 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:19 PM

Rent a boat to Florida then drive.

#6423 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:27 AM

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh says the holiday travel woes that left thousands of passengers stranded at airports or struggling to find flights home show why there should be more competition in Canada’s airspace.

He says the lack of choice for passengers is also making flying less affordable, and he’s calling on the Liberal government to find ways to make the airline industry more competitive.

The Canadian Transportation Agency requires domestic air service operators to be majority-owned and controlled by Canadians, limiting options for travellers — especially in rural or remote areas.

https://www.cheknews...on-ndp-1130003/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 11:27 AM.

#6424 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:31 PM

^ I wonder if lack of competition is what resulted in cancelled flights in the US as well at the same time. I thought it was weather but what do I know.

Obviously JS feels that his message of everything bad in life being someone else's fault carries weight with his voters.

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2023 - 12:32 PM.

• LJ and vortoozo like this

#6425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:45 PM

I wish we had more competition in Ottawa right now.

• Mike K. and LJ like this

#6426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

A new low-cost airline is entering Canada with $169 flights to cities across Europe

screenshot-dailyhive.com-2023.01.10-14_35_39.png

Enter the Reykjavík-based airline PLAY, a low-cost carrier that has been operating flights between Iceland and Europe since 2019 and, today, announced that it will soon be extending service to Canada.

https://dailyhive.co...medium=sharebar

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2023 - 11:36 AM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#6427 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:27 PM

I’ve got a trip to Iceland coming up, so following along with a couple Iceland travel groups on FB and people speak pretty highly of this airline over there, not the complaints we are seeing about the ulcc’s in Canada.

Must be something about that place, people go over and over and over again.

#6428 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 05:04 PM

I took a few months away from contributing to this forum, after being bullied off of here over comments I made, suggesting it maybe time the VAA CEO to moved on. Watching YYJ drain away over the years when it has potential to grow is saddening, as a very important transportation hub on the island.   

#6429 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

It’s almost like it’s never really tried.

Does the board never set targets or benchmarks for performance? And / or does their stated mandate not include growth which would mean better service to both residents and business?

Just another lack of leadership.

All we normally get when services are cut or airlines retreat is that there is nothing that can be done locally to help the airlines stay.

And then we see a statement about airlines leaving being an “opportunity” for others to come. How about both? Airlines stay, and others come too?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 January 2023 - 05:17 PM.

• Kilo95 and Missed Approach like this

#6430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 08:26 AM

I recall, that a hotel was planned in the early 2000s on YYJ land. I know this, because the developer is a family friend, and represented a group out of Edmonton.

It has taken 20 years for a proposal to resurface after the initial one couldn’t come together, for one reason or another.

I don’t know what can fix or improve YYJ any longer. The airport won’t fight for the business of the public and is ok with people commuting to YVR, skipping YYJ entirely, and we’re more under-served by US and Canadian carriers today than at any point in the 90s. Back then we even had direct flights to Reno. Ten years ago we had hope the airport would extend its runway and attract international flights. That fizzled, too.

It just is what it is, I guess.
  • Hotel Mike and Missed Approach like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6431 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:00 PM

Why do we need direct flights to Reno?

I can generally get to where I want to go leaving out of YYJ at a fair price.

The one time I needed to book a last minute flight to the states and there was nothing reasonable available out of YYJ I booked a flight out of Everett.

Despite taking the first ferry out I got stuck in border traffic for 3 and a half hours and missed the flight.

Expensive lesson. Heading to the mainland to catch a flight is generally not worth the time / cost / risk including possible ferry cancellations.

#6432 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:07 PM

I’m not necessarily in favour of more direct flights, to Reno or otherwise.

But we could step it up and make us an excellent feeder airport to Vancouver and Seattle. Make us shine. Discourage ferry trips and car rides to those, because it’s so much better connecting.

But we’ve been anemic at bolstering our connections to Seattle, even.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 January 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#6433 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 04:00 PM

I’ve got a trip to Iceland coming up, so following along with a couple Iceland travel groups on FB and people speak pretty highly of this airline over there, not the complaints we are seeing about the ulcc’s in Canada.

Must be something about that place, people go over and over and over again.

Usually the problem with travel through Iceland are the tight connections. As long as staying an extra day somewhere doesn't bother you then you are golden.

I did not however that you can book mainstream airlines for a similar amount of money once you add in all of the extra fees with the discount airlines (assuming you have some luggage, want to confirm and seat and have some minimal ability to cancel or reschedule a flight)

• Matt R. likes this

#6434 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 04:04 PM

Why do we need direct flights to Reno?

I can generally get to where I want to go leaving out of YYJ at a fair price.

What we need are more destination hub options (I realize Reno is not a hub but Vegas and Seattle are).

What is happening more and more these days is that a flight out of Victoria is cancelled or delayed and then travelers are waiting days (if you are connecting) in some cases to get rebooked because there are so few flights to connecting hubs and those flights are generally full. 

Edited by spanky123, 15 January 2023 - 04:04 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6435 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:02 PM

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum.. but why don't they do a simple billboard campaign along the Pat Bay comparing the time/money costs of flying out of YYJ vs. taking the ferry to Vancouver.. one would think that's a pretty easy campaign to run to try and entice some extra travellers through the airport. Unless the cost savings are so skewed towards the ferry + YVR route. 

• Matt R. likes this

#6436 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:34 PM

Ive said this before and I'll say it again. YYJ is the Oak Bay of Canadian airports. Dry, same old, same old. Zero drive for any kind of marketing management.

No pride, no drive, no public engagement - unlike airports like Kelowna or YVR who have a public engagement and active social media teams

Edited by Missed Approach, 15 January 2023 - 07:56 PM.

• Kilo95 and Victoria Watcher like this

#6437 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:25 PM

What we need are more destination hub options (I realize Reno is not a hub but Vegas and Seattle are).

What is happening more and more these days is that a flight out of Victoria is cancelled or delayed and then travelers are waiting days (if you are connecting) in some cases to get rebooked because there are so few flights to connecting hubs and those flights are generally full. 

I still don't think Kelowna really does significantly better than Victoria in terms of flights & destinations.

Let's look at tomorrow's schedule:

Vancouver has 12 flights from YYJ, 15 from Kelowna

Calgary has 4 from YYJ, 5 from Kelowna

Edmonton has 3 from YYJ, 4 from Kelowna

Seattle has 1 each

Toronto has 2 from YYJ, none from Kelowna

Prince George has 1 from YYJ, none from Kelowna

Plus there are two YYJ - Kelowna flights

Overall Kelowna has two more flights, but Victoria has two more non-stop destinations. It's pretty much a wash.

Edited by vortoozo, 16 January 2023 - 09:33 PM.

#6438 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

It is not just the # of flights but who is flying them. If I am connecting out of Vancouver on AC it doesn't help me that 3 other airlines are flying between YYJ and YVR.

#6439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

Most of those flights are AC.

The number to Seattle is disappointing.

If you are going to LV or SF or LA or Phoenix (or anywhere else in the USA) are you really connecting through Vancouver? When Seattle has so many more options?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 January 2023 - 10:09 AM.

#6440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:10 AM

...The number to Seattle is disappointing.

Especially when you consider how many more YYJ-SEA flights there used to be not that long ago.  :(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users