Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#6461 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, it’s not good. Flights out of SEA are now out of the question...

Agreed. I had to make an extra flight to YVR in order to make my Alaska flight to Maui in September. This required an overnight stay in Richmond as no early morning flight from YYJ would arrive in time for the YVR flight to SEA. In the past, I would simply have taken the earliest Horizon flight from YYJ-SEA and made a relatively easy connection there.

#6462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:46 PM

It was like a 6AM departure if I recall. And that early customs would usually be brisk so you’d make even a 730AM flight.

Maybe Delta will realize how sad the situation is and come in with an early AM flight.
  • Nparker and Missed Approach like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6463 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:55 PM

It was like a 6AM departure if I recall. And that early customs would usually be brisk so you’d make even a 730AM flight.

Maybe Delta will realize how sad the situation is and come in with an early AM flight.

United had its' eye on YYJ pre pandemic, stating gate expansion at DEN was the issue holding back plans, which has been completed, but now it's a aircraft availability and pilot issue, and I'm sure market demand now. A CRJ 700 would be the size, a little smaller than the Alaska/Horizon E175 jet serving SEA.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#6464 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:59 PM

^^^ I think that early Horizon flight to SEA was over Esquimalt at about 6:00 AM.

If they radioed in when they were clear of YYJ’s airspace…..at the right spot, my garage door would open.
  • Mike K., Hotel Mike, Ismo07 and 1 other like this

#6465 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,999 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:10 AM

Experts say the sun may set on Sunwing as the airline struggles to keep its operations afloat

https://www.cbc.ca/n...occur-1.6718375

He said the future of Sunwing is "uncertain," as WestJet wants to buy the airline — hoping to tap into that Eastern Canadian market and Sunwing's owned resorts — but that decision may not be concrete until summer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2023 - 01:11 AM.

#6466 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:06 PM

Believe the City of Tucson gave Flair a bunch of $$$ to start up these routes. They were also planning on flying Lethbridge to Tucson but believe that's been delayed.. seems like Tucson has extra cash to burn as I'd be surprised if these routes were sustainable

https://www.aerorout...-f8tus?rq=flair

Cause Fort McMurray, Prince George, and Windsor are such large markets for trans-border service. Lethbridge got left out after importing ground service equipment fell thru / didn't arrive in time to start the service. 

Sunwing started the Winter season boosting their central and eastern Canada airports, but later cut many of them. Sudbury, Ont Moncton, Fredericton NB and North Bay Ont  and suddenly cut Saskatoon and Regina Sk at the last minute.

Again, Victoria is too small a market to attract service............ :rolleyes:  but they were caught trying to use out of country pilots too but there must be other reasons why YYJ isn't suitable service departure airport.  

#6467 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:29 PM

I try to go Harbour Air to Richmond when I can...  Shuttle takes you to YVR

As long as you leave yourself connection and transit time. You need to go back through security at YVR which can take a while during peak times.

#6468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,999 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:08 AM

The two dominant national airlines are increasingly focusing less on offering nationwide service and more on their regional strengths as they try to improve their financial performance — and also fend off soaring competition.

Those pressures are why experts say WestJet is focusing heavily on Alberta, while Air Canada is prioritizing markets in the east, such as Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Those strategies are resulting in many service cuts in different parts of the country.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...n-yyc-1.6721375

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2023 - 03:09 AM.

#6469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:27 AM

I’ve mused about a local airline operating out of YYJ, feeding in from Nanaimo and Campbell River a few times a day, with an airport shuttle connecting passengers from remote communities.

Half the Island’s population is north of Victoria, right? So that’s two million additional passengers annually, right?

Is there not an opportunity for a niche airline to provide direct flights to sun destinations and connect a few US markets that Tourism Victoria/VI/BC can promote?

Like, could you not fill a 100 passenger plane three times weekly with people from metro NYC (26 million people) who want to experience Vancouver Island? Pair it with a boutique cruise operation and line up flights from NYC, LA, Houston and MIA. Can it not be done?

A smart carrier could create a subsidiary and corner the Vancouver Island market but it’s never been done before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6470 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:33 AM

Also, as part of my plan, I would work with BC Ferries to scrap Brentwood Bay and build a better terminal at YYJ. That way, you also encourage people to connect to YYJ from Cowichan. Make sure it lines up with transit on both sides and you’ve got the makings of something good. Run a branded transit route connecting YYJ’s terminal, downtown Sidney and Swartz Bay to give Cowichan residents easy access to Swartz Bay.

Know it all.

#6471 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:42 AM

I’ve mused about a local airline operating out of YYJ, feeding in from Nanaimo and Campbell River a few times a day, with an airport shuttle connecting passengers from remote communities.

Half the Island’s population is north of Victoria, right? So that’s two million additional passengers annually, right?

Is there not an opportunity for a niche airline to provide direct flights to sun destinations and connect a few US markets that Tourism Victoria/VI/BC can promote?

Like, could you not fill a 100 passenger plane three times weekly with people from metro NYC (26 million people) who want to experience Vancouver Island? Pair it with a boutique cruise operation and line up flights from NYC, LA, Houston and MIA. Can it not be done?

A smart carrier could create a subsidiary and corner the Vancouver Island market but it’s never been done before.

I don't think it was you, but someone here said there should be hourly 'bus like' flights to major hubs. The biggest issue with air travel is all the overhead and safety related things. It slows it down way too much. A bus like flight would just be constantly going, hop on the plane, bring your luggage with you, standing room only after a few seats are filled etc.

#6472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:22 AM

Indeed, the airport process is extremely inefficient.

But we have a local example of a literal hop on-hop off service with Harbour Air. You can walk up, buy a ticket, and get on a flight in under 10 minutes. Maybe faster too, if it’s not terribly busy.

We can emulate that at YYJ in some way?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6473 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:24 AM

Indeed, the airport process is extremely inefficient.

But we have a local example of a literal hop on-hop off service with Harbour Air. You can walk up, buy a ticket, and get on a flight in under 10 minutes. Maybe faster too, if it’s not terribly busy.

We can emulate that at YYJ in some way?

I don't think you can do it at YYJ but if you can find a spot for planes to land on water then have a shuttle...  Kind of like taking Harbour Air to Richmond then take a short shuttle to the airport.  Easy peasy.

I think people up island might already travel out of YYJ however so you aren't really doubling passengers.  Some fly out of Nanaimo and Comox too right?  Why fly to Victoria first to fly to Vancouver when you just fly straight to Van?

Edited by Ismo07, 24 January 2023 - 09:27 AM.

#6474 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,999 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:35 AM

We need re-examine how our airport works, since it’s unique in North America.

#6475 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:37 AM

We need re-examine how our airport works, since it’s unique in North America.

In what sense is it unique?  or was this a funny?

#6476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:41 AM

I don't think you can do it at YYJ but if you can find a spot for planes to land on water then have a shuttle... Kind of like taking Harbour Air to Richmond then take a short shuttle to the airport. Easy peasy.

I think people up island might already travel out of YYJ however so you aren't really doubling passengers. Some fly out of Nanaimo and Comox too right? Why fly to Victoria first to fly to Vancouver when you just fly straight to Van?

How does YVR south terminal work, exactly? Is it a standalone operation?

Know it all.

#6477 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,999 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:42 AM

^ ^ It’s extremely close to two other big international airports - one US and one Canadian. Yet there is a logistics/time/cost barrier to travelling by land to those two.

There is no other situation like this in all of North America. Not even remotely close.

And no, it’s not like Windsor or Toronto or Ottawa. At all.

But we run ours like it’s Kelowna.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2023 - 09:50 AM.

#6478 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:09 AM

How does YVR south terminal work, exactly? Is it a standalone operation?

YVR south?  Do you mean Harbour Air?  Is that what it is called?

^ ^ It’s extremely close to two other big international airports - one US and one Canadian. Yet there is a logistics/time/cost barrier to travelling by land to those two.

There is no other situation like this in all of North America. Not even remotely close.

And no, it’s not like Windsor or Toronto or Ottawa. At all.

But we run ours like it’s Kelowna.

Oh cause no one needs to deal with a ferry?  How should we run it differently?

#6479 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:22 AM

No. 50 passenger planes didn't work between San Fransisco and Victoria, and that's with the benefit of a significant connecting hub there.

Going three times as far means burning a lot more fuel. 

And there isn't really an aircraft that fits 100 passengers that would have the legs for such a route. A220 is in the 140 passenger range. The E195 is in the 130 passenger range.

Any of the point to point demand can pass over Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, Montreal or Toronto.

If you're talking cruise you need significantly more demand than a handful of aircraft can provide. And that's extremely seasonal.

#6480 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,999 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:29 AM

We do a terrible job of promoting the Island. Little coordination between the tourism organizations but also very poor cross-promotions between businesses.

Frankly, I’m surprised people even want to come here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2023 - 10:30 AM.

• Missed Approach likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users