Photo

Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

#61 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

493 burnside is almost done now apparently, I'll try to take some pictures of it if I do any work on it.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

^That took a long time for an apartment rehab.

Another old apartment on upper Quadra near the flower shop and Shell station is being gutted and rehabbed.

#63 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Is there a thread (or any info/gossip/pics) on the Zen project on Fort just east of Cook? I could find anything when I searched.
Thanks!

never mind... just saw the thread.. wonder why it didn't come up in multiple searches I ran?

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

^I think search has a minimum four word parameter. Which makes it hard to search for terms like "Zen".

There's a building going up on Bay St. just before Shelbourne, next to the corner store. Looks like a minimum two storey mixed use so far.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Mike Miller of Abstract Developments is busy all over the city, it seems. I noticed that the Victoria Read Society house in the 700 block of Linden Street (this house on street view) is being demolished and something new will take its place.

It's probably the first time I've seen a house getting torn down in this area - usually they get lifted and bumped on several sides to create 5-plexes. There's no information on site for what's being built, and I can't find anything (yet?) on Abstract's website.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#66 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

^ I was mistaken about this house (ex-Victoria Read Society) being demolished. It is being moved off its foundation, but will be staying, probably rebuilt with 5 condo units. I think the house is being moved to a new foundation to make room for a driveway on the other side or something.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

Yes, he seems to be plugging away at a lot of low-profile projects. I'm amazed they can co-ordinate them all.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#68 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Burnside/Gorge proposed development
606-618 Frances Av and 605-629 Speed Ave
Oakwood Park Estates

http://www.burnsideg...etter/Ebook.pdf

224 unit condo development

Community meeting 13Dec2010 7pm @ 471 Cecelia

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

So have we talked about the little building under construction on Bay Street near Shelbourne?

Could they have set the new building back any further? Is 20-25 feet really enough?

Meanwhile the older buildings on either side have no setbacks whatsoever.

http://maps.google.c...,139.25,,0,3.98

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

^I've seen that. Sometimes I wonder if these projects are done by architects in other cities that have never even done a site visit.

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

Yeah it is brutal. I cannot believe the city allowed it.

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Here is a photo of that Bay Street project. The massive setback is a real strike to the streetscape but I suppose all apartments along the eastern stretch of Bay are set back far from the street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Here is a photo of that Bay Street project. The massive setback is a real strike to the streetscape but I suppose all apartments along the eastern stretch of Bay are set back far from the street.

Mike,

This Bay Street project is called Nova and they are targetting a mid-April completion.

The web site for this project is at whttp://ww.novavictoria.com .

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Nova project!

BTW, a new thread has been created for the Speed St project and can be accessed here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

Not sure if it is discussed but what is the project that is being built on Douglas north of Cloverdale, across from the old BCBC building. It looks too tall to be a car dealership.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

Not sure if it is discussed but what is the project that is being built on Douglas north of Cloverdale, across from the old BCBC building. It looks too tall to be a car dealership.

I believe it is a car dealership.

#77 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

It looks as if it has at least 4 storeys. Are they planning on leasing office space as well?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#78 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

This is a project by the Carson Family that owns Suburban Motors as well as others.

This link should answer most of your questions.

http://www2.canada.c...f6-a409d869aa38

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'm obviously out of the loop. What are they doing at Vic High? For years I've been thinking they should build more village space on the tennis courts. It would have been great. So now they've ripped out the tennis courts and cut down a bunch of fine old trees. If they're building a suburban-style addition to the school complete with surface parking I may just die.

#80 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'm obviously out of the loop. What are they doing at Vic High? For years I've been thinking they should build more village space on the tennis courts. It would have been great. So now they've ripped out the tennis courts and cut down a bunch of fine old trees. If they're building a suburban-style addition to the school complete with surface parking I may just die.

Beacon Hill Park vs. Victoria High School track and field
http://communities.c...x?postid=512643

"It would be nice to spend money on everything but we don't have money for everything," said Mayor Dean Fortin.

"I think the larger issue that council's going to have to wrestle with is just how much infrastructure we can deal with, and what are our priorities," Fortin said.

"The only way they're going to go forward will depend very highly on third-party funding."

Fortin said the Vic High project has been pushed by the community for a long time.

If I'm not mistaken it's an all-weather field going in there.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users