• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

#81 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

Beacon Hill Park vs. Victoria High School track and field
http://communities.c...x?postid=512643

If I'm not mistaken it's an all-weather field going in there.

Wow. What an interesting case of difficult decisionmaking.

I can see value in both projects, as I use both facilities. The track at Vic High is ancient. I love it because it's close to my house, but it has been neglected to the point that only Lane 1 is even remotely safe to run on most of the year. Even that lane is effectively trail running in the city*. The infield is a swamp in the winter and badly pitted in the summer. It is a fine old track, though, and hits my nostalgia buttons with its dirt surface, 440y length, and its status as war memorial to fallen Vic High grads.

In short, I am very fond of the place but wish they'd at least grade the old thing from time to time. A new track to take some of the heat off of the UVic track** would be *wonderful*. And an artificial turf in the middle: Oh, what luxury.

But the all-weather fields at Beacon Hill: I submit to you all that they are the single coldest place in Greater Victoria in the winter, but you will find hundreds of kids down there playing soccer in the worst possible conditions right through the year. And when all the other fields have turned into swamps, those fields are about the only game in town. Keeping them well-supported and even extended is good for many, many young people.

I will be interested in how the city decides. Either choice is good for the city. I think I lean toward the Vic High upgrades as a way to improve the athletic choices available to Fernwood and the downtown core. I wonder whether the track facility can spread to the west a little when the old tech buildings come down.

*(Of course, poor ESQ's track is the only one in town where you can do hill-work on a 400m course ;) )

**and don't get me started about the @$*! decision to lock the gates at UVic's track so the public can't get onto it even as early as 6:00 PM some evenings. Boneheads. How expensive is it to let people run around in circles?

#82 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

The decision was made a while ago to put the money towards Vic high.

#83 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:59 AM

I noticed this morning that the Odeon theatre downtown is being painted in Cineplex's marque colour scheme; purpley-blue and yellow. Looks much better than the tired old grey and white.

I wonder if they'll fix up the awesome old flashing light sign out front? It's really cool and I hope they don't get rid of it, but I think it needs a new paint job and some replacement bulbs!!

#84 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Now that the theatre is painted a dark colour the seagulls can really leave their mark.

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

Now that the theatre is painted a dark colour the seagulls can really leave their mark.

And they have wasted no time in doing so.:(

#86 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Hopkins, who paid $4.2 million for [Murph's Pub/Tally Ho], said all the other operations, including the 52-room hotel, have been performing well and will remain open. He said he continues to be interested in the neighbouring property, the former Cornell Chevrolet dealership, with the possibility the two sites could form a major redevelopment.

http://www.timescolo...6145/story.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Awesome. That location would be great for some serious high density. I mean who could argue with putting a 14 to 16 storey tower or two in that location especially at the corner which is at the bottom of a hill. Office residential anything could work if done right. It really is one of those prime locations in the city.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

...who could argue with putting a 14 to 16 storey tower or two in that location...

This is Victoria. The cry would be loud and prolonged. We all know that abandoned car lots are far more appealing than dense residential or commercial developments.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I was reading the Quadra - Hillside community paper this week and it says in a rather mysterious way that there is a plan to develop Quadra Villa justoutside the village. I am hoping for lots of DENSITY!!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

What are they doing at Vic High?

Here are some photos from the summer.

Looks like the replacement for the old Fairey Tech building can't come soon enough!

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

The discussion on the Roth Site (Centro project) sale has been moved to the Centro discussion thread here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

^^ Nice pictures Dylan.

#93 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Here's the office building that's being built on upper Douglas St. It's been mostly off our radar here at VV, I don't think we even know the building's address or who the developers and architects are. There will be a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership in it.

#94 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

For the past couple of years a new temple (Sikh I think) has been under construction on Graham St. just north of Hillside Ave. Just recently a spire or light pole has been erected, similar to the one at the temple further up the hill. It looks to be about 100 feet tall with a red light at the top.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

That temple has been under construction for a better part of a decade, hasn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

So does anybody know what happened with this one?
http://www.vicnews.c.../119804034.html

...Mark Lindholm’s plan includes constructing a 10-storey, 70-unit residential condominium, including two levels of underground parking and a retail commercial building on a triangular block of land at the foot of Head Street. There are also plans to establish a six-storey mix of 48 condo units and 48 hotel suites overlooking Hidden Harbour at West Bay Marina...

#97 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

That temple has been under construction for a better part of a decade, hasn't it?

I don't think it's been that long, but there definitely were delays in construction. The finished product is somewhat odd looking as well, but I'm sure it functions fine for those who built it.

#98 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

I noticed a couple of days ago that the old Fairey Tech building is now down. Does anyone know if plans have been finalized for this site?

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

Wasn't the Fairey Tech to be replaced by the addition that was just built at Vic High?

Know it all.

#100 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Wasn't the Fairey Tech to be replaced by the addition that was just built at Vic High?

Yes, this is true Mike, but I was wondering about the land itself- the property just west of the school that was under the old facility. The new building is slightly to the east, accross a playing field.

I was walking by a few days ago, and thought to myself that this is really a strategic piece of land. It adjoins the Fernwood community center, acts as a kind of pedestrian corridor leading to downtown, and is a very pleasant piece of real estate in its own right- ideal for a number of purposes, A small park, public market, ect.

There may be a plan for this already, but I haven't found anything on it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users