Photo

Central Government Street for pedestrians only?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

I think it'd be a great move to have Government street (btw Humboldt and Fisgard) turned into a pedestrian walkway so long as Douglas Street and Blanshard Street won't be turned into the next traffic calming pet projects.

If the street were to close, there shouldn't be a string of buskers and artists selling their wares as that perpetuates the ridiculous tourism tackiness that Victorian's and most tourists don't care for. The street could be closed to regular traffic during the business hours and re-opened in the evenings to allow for vehicle traffic (which is small by then, anyways) adding to the element of pedestrian safety when many peds aren't around.

The least we could do is try it out for one year or one season and see how we do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

i noticed in the financial district here that there were a few tiny roads that were closed during the day but open for the rushours and early in the morning for the delivery. soo during the hours it was closed the cafe's could stretch out into the street.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

Are you talking about San Francisco?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

I think Fisgard is too far. But from Belleville to Yates would be a good start. Of course keeping cross streets open. No one is saying close down fort or anything. Delivery trucks could be allowed on the street from say 7am to 10am and then its just pedestrians.

I have yet to hear one rational arguement for not doing this.

Apart form the #5 bus which could easily be rerouted along Wharf why do cars need to drive on Government. No one says "I need to be at Mayfair Mall in five minutes I know I will take Government to save time." Nor does anyone or Can anyone stop their car to run in and buy a tshirt/coffee/diamond ring/ stuffed animal etc. So business will not be hurt. Also I know the tour busses would be upset but really could they no go down Wharf and then up Johnson. If you are a tourist in Victoria and you need to get on a bus to see Lower Government than there is something very wrong.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

yeah derf, sorry i didn't mention it.

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

I totally agree with closing Gov't for the same reasons, though I think Humboldt to Yates would be ideal.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

It's a matter of when, not if. Remember how packed Gov't was when a few of us went walking down there a couple of weeks ago? The sidewalks were jammed with tourists.

I wasn't sure about extending it past Yates but then again it would encourage pedestrians out of the tourist zone.

I would be more supportive of closing it to traffic in the evenings as opposed to mornings.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

Yup, Yates might be the better option. I guess I subliminally(sp?) went straight to Fisgard because I envisioned the market already closing off that section on Sundays. Yates does seem like the best option to start with.

And yes, I agree, pedestrians should obey lights at intersections so cross-traffic can get through unimpeded.

Hombre, thanks for clarifying that -- I thought you meant San Mateo but then I don't think it has a business district. I am impressed that such a large centre can close streets during business hours and still function.

Know it all.

#9 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

haha yeah downtown san mateo is not that big hahaha.

oddly enough, first car i saw in san mateo was a el camino and it was driving down el camino

hahaha

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

Humboldt to Yates!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

Humboldt to Yates!

Exactly! If the road was closed to Belleville then it would be too diffucult for traffic coming down Wharf to get to James Bay. ALL traffic would be diverted to Douglas, and that would just be a mess.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Humboldt to Yates!

Exactly! If the road was closed to Belleville then it would be too diffucult for traffic coming down Wharf to get to James Bay. ALL traffic would be diverted to Douglas, and that would just be a mess.

Yup, and traffic has to be able to get into the valet parking at The Empress.. And I mean that seriously.. it's important.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yeah, Humboldt and Yates makes the most sense.

What are your thoughts on daytime ped-only use and vehicular traffic in the late evening?

Know it all.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

I would think allowing cars until 11 or noon or so for deliveries, garbage etc. makes more sense.

In Europe, dual-use streets are controlled automatically by metal posts that rise out of the pavement.

http://www.automaticbollard.com/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

Whoa those are cool. I think it should be ped only 24hrs with truck access between 7-10 am. Again why do cars need to go on there. Of course using something like those bollards might be a good way to start.

It has a whole new look!

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

It'd be a safety thing. I don't think people would want to walk around there at 10 in the evening when businesses are closed and not a soul is around. At least vehicles would add some eyes and ears to the street.

That's the theory, anyways.

Know it all.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

I hear what you're saying. But have you seen the type that usually cruises Government after 10 pm? :)

Maybe allow late evening cars in non-summer.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Bastion Square is fine with no cars cruising down it at 4am.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:28 PM

^Bastion Sq is dead at 4AM and therefore not particularly attractive to someone who's not comfortable with empty urban spaces. Don't forget it has a club and two restaurants that are busy well into the night.

The last thing I'd want is a lifeless street from the moment the sun goes down and business close their doors (well before 4AM). Let's not forget Victoria is a very small city compared to, say, Montreal or Madrid, that have 24 hour no-car zones. There are people meandering in those areas at all hours of the night but such won't be the case in Victoria even in the middle of summer.

I hear what you're saying. But have you seen the type that usually cruises Government after 10 pm? :)

Hush, you!

Know it all.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

Let's not forget Victoria is a very small city compared to, say, Montreal or Madrid...

I always forget that. Must be all of the new highrise condos that have thrown me off.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users