Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#2161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

It is the first of many "rendezvous" you will see. Brands invite all of their clients together for a big party to say "thank you". The Victoria International Marina is the only facility in the Pacific Northwest that can do this. You are witnessing the very first time that this many Superyachts have been in one marina/place in the pacific northwest at one time. ;) Next weekend there is another one... hosted by M&P Mercury.

oh that's pretty cool.  what brand is it this week?

m & p:

At M&P Mercury, we are focused on connecting you with the on-water lifestyle you crave. Since 1957, our aim has been to share our passion for boating and use it to bring people closer together. Let our family guide you through the life-enhancing joy of a shared love of the water.

We carry the best selection of new and used boats in Western Canada, from 11' to 161'. With three locations in BurnabyVancouver and Nanaimo. world-class events, award-winning customer service and the best boating brands available, we are here and ready to guide your boating journey!

events:   https://www.mpyachtc....com/eventslist

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#2162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

So... that whole thing re: gigantic vessels blocking views of water, mountains, sun, and sky... I guess we're saying that concern was a tad exaggerated?

48106260948_775712c56e_c.jpg

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, jonny and 1 other like this

#2163 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

....... The Victoria International Marina is the only facility in the Pacific Northwest that can do this. You are witnessing the very first time that this many Superyachts have been in one marina/place in the pacific northwest at one time. ......

I'm supportive of all things nautical, especially as it concerns maintaining industry in our Inner and Upper Harbours ... but this isn't an accurate statement.

These most definitely aren't "Superyachts". As well, marinas like Roche Harbor and Pender Harbour have been hosting "makers" gatherings for decades now, some with up to 20 or 30 of one makers boats.

And Roche Harbor Marina has seen gatherings of dozens of yachts over 90' at one time ... again for decades now. Any July 4th trip to Roche will generate a photograph of 30 times the number of large yachts as the VI Marina can accommodate.

Not looking to burst anybody's bubble, but words have meaning, and VI Marina is indeed world class ... there's no need to exaggerate or fabricate.

• lanforod likes this

#2164 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Of all the things Victorians have ever stewed about that ultimately ended up not justifying the angst, I'd say the ~30-year saga re: the Songhees marina should be filed right near the top of the list.

Final verdict: It's a marina for boats on the harbour.

• Nparker likes this

#2165 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

For ages people were stewing about the prospect of a mega-yacht marina. Mega-yachts were bad. Now we seem to be miffed because the yachts in the new marina aren't so mega after all. Meanwhile, true mega-yachts will continue to dock in Victoria as they've always done, one or two at a time.

Maybe Victorians just don't like win-win scenarios? If everybody's happy then nobody's happy? Zero sum games are the only games worth playing?

Edited by aastra, 22 June 2019 - 12:42 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2166 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

I just re-read the entirety of this marina thread so brace yourselves for more of those reflective posts by yours truly.

In 2011 I was gobsmacked to learn about the parking arrangement in the underground of one of the condo buildings. So are those 48 (!) spaces just for yachters/marina members? You can't park there to eat at the restaurant, right?

#2167 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

Maybe Victorians just don't like win-win scenarios? If everybody's happy then nobody's happy? Zero sum games are the only games worth playing?

My desire to see ALL industry in the Inner and Upper Harbour flourish certainly isn't commensurate with anything resembling a zero sum game.

I hope the VI Marina is massively successful, it's truly a bit of world class construction as anybody with eyes can easily see ... but that doesn't mean a 48'-60' boat suddenly becomes a "mega yacht", or that suddenly the 100-150 large yachts that have been gathering in Roche Harbor every July 4th for decades decades now suddenly "doesn't count".

Misstatement of facts doesn't benefit anybody ... simply calling it out has nothing to do with a zero sum game.

#2168 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, Cassidy beat me to it. These are not mega yachts. How many boats do you have docked this weekend over 79'? Those are the only mega yachts you have. That photo looks like a bunch of 50' ones.

#2169 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

I wasn't going after you so much as revisiting (and maybe trying to conclude) the oft-repeated premise in this thread re: the mega-ness of the yachts. Turns out they aren't nearly so mega as hoped and/or feared. Modern Victoria specializes in moderation, but the discussion tends to focus on extremes that are rarely ever relevant to reality.

• Nparker likes this

#2170 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

Let the record show that I -- being an ignorant landlubber -- asked several times for other forumers to clarify how big the yachts might actually be. The responses were always mixed and confusing. I may as well have been asking Victorians to clarify what "rich" means, or what "luxury" means, or what a "tower" is.

#2171 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

oh that's pretty cool.  what brand is it this week?

m & p:

events:   https://www.mpyachtc....com/eventslist

This is Westbay SonShip.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2172 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

I just re-read the entirety of this marina thread so brace yourselves for more of those reflective posts by yours truly.

In 2011 I was gobsmacked to learn about the parking arrangement in the underground of one of the condo buildings. So are those 48 (!) spaces just for yachters/marina members? You can't park there to eat at the restaurant, right?

The 48 stalls are attached to the two fee simple properties (the two buildings) by a very long-term lease. They are available to the restaurant, as the restaurant is one of those buildings. The Royal Quays had concerns about open access so we worked on a mutually acceptable arrangement to use a valet parking arrangement. The restaurant is just getting it's feet wet... valet parking will be available soon.

#2173 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, Cassidy beat me to it. These are not mega yachts. How many boats do you have docked this weekend over 79'? Those are the only mega yachts you have. That photo looks like a bunch of 50' ones.

We take any vessel over 65 feet. In some cases we are allowed to have smaller vessels, under a special event permit from Transport Canada.

With respect to yacht class names... Having met superyacht naval architects from all over the world I can assure you there is no consensus at all on what size constitutes a superyacht, a megayacht or a gigayacht. They will tell you different ranges and most won't even acknowledge the classes... they talk in tonnage. Most will just use the world "superyacht" to describe them all. :)

Edited by cnorrisvimarina, 22 June 2019 - 02:37 PM.

#2174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

It’s such an amazing addition to the neighbourhood. I can’t fathom why this project was a controversial, and for so long, as it was. This could have been built eons ago generating revenue for the City and attracting more visitors to the region.

But now that it’s here, it’s great to see it being so well received by the public and boaters alike.
  • Nparker, SimonH and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2175 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Let the record show that I -- being an ignorant landlubber -- asked several times for other forumers to clarify how big the yachts might actually be. The responses were always mixed and confusing. I may as well have been asking Victorians to clarify what "rich" means, or what "luxury" means, or what a "tower" is.

Here's the truth... we can take as big a boat as we can fit. There are two limiting factors, length and draft (depth under water), which are somewhat related but loosely. The largest we've had in the marina was the MLR at 174 feet loa (length overall). The marina basin has a minimum draft of 3.5m (11.5 feet) and a maximum (nearest the entrance) of just under 6m (20 feet) at lowest tide. Sailboats tend to draw the most water due to their keels, which is why you will see them using the outer, deeper slips.

#2176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

It’s such an amazing addition to the neighbourhood. I can’t fathom why this project was a controversial, and for so long, as it was....

Hating mega-yachts represents the same mindset that cheered on today's popular Instagram post "F*** condos". There's clearly a certain segment of the local population that despises anything they believe represents even moderate wealth and personal achievement. One need look no further than the mind-boggling electoral popularity of a certain communist to city council for proof.

#2177 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

We went by the Marina tonight and the ships looked fantastic. The Boom and Batten was booming with business. (sorry)

This project was long overdue. A great addition to our harbour.

#2178 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

Most will just use the world "superyacht" to describe them all. :)

I'm pretty sure that "super yacht" has a very specific definition, one that is universally agreed upon by naval architects to mean over 24 metres (79 feet), crewed by a professional crew, able to accommodate 12 guests, and that does not carrying cargo for a fee.

The "Large Commercial Yacht Code" from Great Britain has long defined "super yachts" ... here's a link for you to peruse at your leisure:

https://assets.publi...2_edition_2.pdf

#2179 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,599 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

We went by the Marina tonight and the ships looked fantastic. The Boom and Batten was booming with business. (sorry)

This project was long overdue. A great addition to our harbour.

Well stated - and that is a great picture above: like most others here I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss and noise was about especially since the place was zoned for a marina a hundred billion years ago when the original Songhees was built.

Actually who are we kidding - its easy to understand actually. Its the same old Victoria fuddies that think ten stories is a mega-tower and/or that nothing built here after 1955 could possibly be "worthwhile".

In fact with regard to this marina, prior to its construction, Songhees Walkway was this town's version of the Dead Zone (almost, given its prominent front row seat on the harbour, criminally underutilized) and utterly bereft of anything remotely resembling life or vibrancy. Whenever we ventured there, other than on Canada Day celebrations, you could have lobbed a nuclear-tipped bowling ball right down the center of the place and the only thing that would have noticed or been impacted would have been the odd seagull.

Thank God the backers of this project refused to be cowed by the "we hate everything that is new" mob, stuck with their guns, and got 'er done. Can't wait to try the new restaurant.....

• Nparker likes this

#2180 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

The VI Marina has added more life to the Northwest side of the Inner Harbour than any of those dead condos ever did (or will).

That includes possibly the most boring hotel in town as well.

Edited by Cassidy, 22 June 2019 - 09:53 PM.

• 2F2R and SimonH like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users