[Vic West] Victoria International Marina | Built - completed in 2018

Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#2181 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

I'm supportive of all things nautical, especially as it concerns maintaining industry in our Inner and Upper Harbours ... but this isn't an accurate statement.

These most definitely aren't "Superyachts". As well, marinas like Roche Harbor and Pender Harbour have been hosting "makers" gatherings for decades now, some with up to 20 or 30 of one makers boats.

And Roche Harbor Marina has seen gatherings of dozens of yachts over 90' at one time ... again for decades now. Any July 4th trip to Roche will generate a photograph of 30 times the number of large yachts as the VI Marina can accommodate.

Not looking to burst anybody's bubble, but words have meaning, and VI Marina is indeed world class ... there's no need to exaggerate or fabricate.

You are correct. There have been other marina's in the PNW that have been able to hold such collections, including SonShip (the folks that where here this weekend). And Roche Harbour is a very good example - Pender doesn't have the same capacity for large vessels we have. We are very proud to bring this to Victoria. Also, we are the only facility that is solely dedicated to this scale of boat. 

• Nparker likes this

#2182 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

My desire to see ALL industry in the Inner and Upper Harbour flourish certainly isn't commensurate with anything resembling a zero sum game.

I hope the VI Marina is massively successful, it's truly a bit of world class construction as anybody with eyes can easily see ... but that doesn't mean a 48'-60' boat suddenly becomes a "mega yacht", or that suddenly the 100-150 large yachts that have been gathering in Roche Harbor every July 4th for decades decades now suddenly "doesn't count".

Misstatement of facts doesn't benefit anybody ... simply calling it out has nothing to do with a zero sum game.

I hope it wasn't me that was confused as saying that places like Roche Harbour and their history for hosting large yachts doesn't count! I have been working with the folks a Roche through my entire term on the project and several other marina's here and around the globe. We work as a network of support. And they would be just as quick to recognize the entirely new capability of VIM to host a new level of large-yacht gathering. There is more to a gathering than the space to do so. I am in Roche every fourth of July... let's not overstate their numbers either :)

#2183 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

From Mike's tirade in another thread:

Remember when Victoria decided the best use of foreshore in Vic West was a kayak route? After permitting a marina?

That reminds me, I was looking at recent reviews of the various kayak tour operators and I didn't see anybody complaining about the new marina. I found at least one pic of some tourists smiling in their kayaks with the new marina right behind them. So now that the yachts have finally arrived, what's the paddler-on-the-street's perspective? There were some grim prognostications, if we recall. How has it all worked out? (seriously, I'm asking)

#2184 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I watched some paddlers go under the restaurant and I did not hear any vocal protestations from them. In fact, they seemed in a rather jocular mood.

• Nparker likes this

#2185 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Can I ask what you were doing under the restaurant?

#2186 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

You weren't stuck in your kayak because the marina was in the way?

#2187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

Can I ask what you were doing under the restaurant?

Perambulating.

#2188 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:41 PM

I wish you a speedy recovery.

#2189 chrisS

chrisS
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

I watched some paddlers go under the restaurant and I did not hear any vocal protestations from them. In fact, they seemed in a rather jocular mood.

Thanks for noticing Rob,  yes we were all smiling because we had just seen the number of boats at the marina - ONE !!.   we have never seen it get past 4 or 5 during the past 6 months. The rental for  ONE boat is not going to pay a dividend on the $30M+ they have put into building the marina.  Even if Boom and Batten charged $1000 a plate it isn't going to cut it either..

#2190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:41 AM

Walking around the Victoria International Marina, Craig Norris and Greg Parish, two of the six founders of Future Oceans, point out the straws and plastic wrappers scattered amongst the kelp that washes up in between the super yachts parked in the dock.

Parish walks to the end of the dock, pausing at a couple of the large black pillars spaced evenly on either side of the wooden walkway, running his finger over the black surface and dislodging tiny bits of broken down Styrofoam.

They see this everyday, he tells Black Press Media.

The marina has committed to a number of sustainable and environmental goals, including engaging in shoreline rehabilitation and a pledge to be carbon neutral by 2020.

https://www.oakbayne...sustainability/

as an aside it's a bit sad when actual journalists get every day / everyday mixed up.

#2191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

The marina has a winter moorage deal. I assume that's $2.15 per day. 

Rates starting at $2.15 per foot in Canadian Dollars. Monthly and 6 month discounts available.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2192 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

Council is considering a DP application today which would legitimize several alterations to the buildings which were constructed without permits. Staff recommend denial. If denied by Council, the owner would be in a bit of a pickle, as the offending structures are for the rooftop mechanical systems and on-shore gas meter.

#2193 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

The existence of the mechanicals or the height? Because maybe they could retrofit some lower-profile HVAC units. I wonder how far off they are. 

#2194 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

I'm sure the rooftop HVAC units were part of the original building permit. They had to be.

The owner probably constructed some fencing/enclosure after the fact to hide the ugly appearance of the equipment.....and somebody must have complained about it.

#2195 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

The existence of the mechanicals or the height? Because maybe they could retrofit some lower-profile HVAC units. I wonder how far off they are. 

I'm sure the rooftop HVAC units were part of the original building permit. They had to be.

The owner probably constructed some fencing/enclosure after the fact to hide the ugly appearance of the equipment.....and somebody must have *****ed about it.

The resulting screening structure for the mechanical.

Rooftop mechanical is almost always minimized in DP drawings. I did the Building Permit review for a Concord Pacific tower a few weeks ago, checking for DP consistency, and their rooftop mechanical was about 150% larger and twice the height as what was approved.

#2196 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

One of the times I had dinner at the restaurant I asked if they had plans to put tables outside. The reply was that they were looking for rezoning since they are currently public walkway.

The marina has what looks like locked doors across their walkway, however they are unlocked and you can venture onto it.

#2197 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Rooftop mechanical is almost always minimized in DP drawings. I did the Building Permit review for a Concord Pacific tower a few weeks ago, checking for DP consistency, and their rooftop mechanical was about 150% larger and twice the height as what was approved.

Like when you see a nice fitting outfit on a mannekin and think, wow, that's a great slim-fitting shirt and you look behind and it's pulled together with 12 safety pins. Fake out!

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#2198 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

...The owner probably constructed some fencing/enclosure after the fact to hide the ugly appearance of the equipment.....and somebody must have complained about it.

The resulting screening structure for the mechanical...

So somebody likely complained because the developer tried to screen the ugliness of the mechanical systems? Sheesh.  :whyme:

• songheesguy likes this

#2199 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

The resulting screening structure for the mechanical.

We were told by City planning department (from the onset of the new owners involvement) that we could not vary the form-and-character of the structure, as designed by the architect. Only minor alternations would/may be acceptable. But you don't know what will be considered minor until you submit the drawings. The rooftop rotundas where a design element that was also suppose to house mechanical equipment but not "all" mechanical equipment. Most professionals in the industry would tell you pretty quick that there is no way that a restaurants mechanical equipment would fit inside them. We had several special design meetings with mechanical equipment designers and suppliers to try and fit everything in there... it didn't take long to come to the conclusion that it just wasn't feasible. It wasn't even feasible to fit the marina office's mechanical equipment in that one - which was significantly less than the restaurant's. We proposed adding additional screening to the units - which is what this application is for. A DP was required because they considered the change in form-and-character to be greater than "minor". The rotundas were also limited by height, so they could never get taller.

• Nparker likes this

#2200 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

So somebody likely complained because the developer tried to screen the ugliness of the mechanical systems? Sheesh.  :whyme:

You are correct. It was always known that we would need to screen the units. We came up with what we thought was a good solution and the City planning department doesn't think so - honestly, we don't know what would make them happy. I think they want us to magically make all the equipment fit inside the rotunda... even though we've shown that it isn't physically possible to fit it all in there.

• aastra and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users