Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#881 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:53 AM

Our museum attracts 900,000 per year.

This one lighthouse attracts almost as much:

One idea brought forward was to close the iconic site that attracts over 700,000 people a year and features a much-photographed lighthouse on a large outcrop of granite, one with tantalizing but slippery "black rocks" that descend to the water's edge.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uards-1.6456001

Therefore I propose, before the museum closes, let’s build a lighthouse at Clover Point or at the end of Cook Street.

$4 million should do it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 May 2022 - 04:55 AM.

• JimV likes this

#882 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:13 AM

Good article that raises a lot of valid points.  The latest in a chain of giant missteps and mistakes the museum has made.  At the very least it’s time to fire the board and senior staff and start over.

#883 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:25 AM

...The latest in a chain of giant missteps and mistakes the museum NDP has made. ...

I think this is probably the more correct statement.

• dasmo and Dexter like this

#884 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:42 AM

The museum doesn’t bring that many people here…. Many locals visit it, many school trips etc. People who are traveling here visit it but I doubt many make a special trip just to visit the museum.

Old town was one of my favourite parts next to the First Nations section. They could just bring back out all those letters and articles from the latter to put back on display the time when things went sour between us. It’s all there and quite stark. Some of the newspaper articles describing the First Nations are super harsh. The photos of First Nations all in top hats and frowns were also quite symbolic. It’s worthy to put it out there and to acknowledge it. It’s just very embarrassing to our monarchist government. They are doing their best to push the guilt onto us, the second people. I’m not accepting it. I would like to live more arm in arm with our brothers who stewarded this land before us. Guilt isn’t the way forward especially for something we are not responsible for.

I used to both sit in the theatre and the train station along with the long house and let my imagination take me to these worlds.

This is yet another example of these people ruling by decree and putting it in our faces.

I’m not passionate enough and am more interested in getting my garden going but I hope someone is going to sue and or launch a recall campaign.

I would also like to see some legislation that states any project over a certain value has some sort of referendum. This is our money after all. Actually our children’s Children’s money.

#885 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:52 AM

^ As someone was has visited many of the great museums of the world I would have to agree with you. Other than perhaps visitors from Duncan, I have never heard of anyone claim that they came to Victoria to visit the RCBM! 

I think it is a great little museum but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone knowledgeable that would rank it in the top 100 globally.

#886 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:53 AM

The actual business case was 5 years in development. A weekend isn’t going to change anything

If a business case had been developed it would have been released when they made the announcement or on Friday when they said it would be.

• JimV likes this

#887 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:54 AM

...I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone knowledgeable that would rank it in the top 100 globally.

$1 billion dollars and 7 years of closure is going to change that!  :lol:

#888 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:52 PM

The business case was developed for submission to the treasury board. This is extremely out of the ordinary for it to be presented to the public.

If a business case had been developed it would have been released when they made the announcement or on Friday when they said it would be.

#889 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:38 AM

The business case was developed for submission to the treasury board. This is extremely out of the ordinary for it to be presented to the public.

Seems odd to me that the whole giant announcement would be made prior to approval by treasury board.  If it was approved then there should be no problem in releasing it to the public, with perhaps a few redactions for privacy reasons.  If it was not approved then we have a cart/horse situation here.

One also can’t help but notice the deafening silence of our MLA, the Amazing Invisible Woman Grace Lore.  Not, of course, that she has ever commented on any issue of concern to her constituents.

• Nparker likes this

#890 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:09 AM

^ Yeah crazy. She is the MLA for Victoria but has nothing to say and is nowhere to be found.

#891 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:41 AM

My constituency office is currently closed due to current events.

My office is still committed to assisting constituents.

You can get support from my staff by calling  (250) 952-4211

or emailing grace.lore.MLA@leg.bc.ca

#892 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:47 AM

^ Are all MLA offices closed?

#893 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:14 PM

My constituency office is currently closed due to current events....

If the current event is Victoria Day this is acceptable, anything else and a recall campaign should commence.

#894 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 01:45 PM

The current event is  great salary and pension while doing next to nothing.

• Nparker, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#895 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

^ As someone was has visited many of the great museums of the world I would have to agree with you. Other than perhaps visitors from Duncan, I have never heard of anyone claim that they came to Victoria to visit the RCBM! 

I think it is a great little museum but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone knowledgeable that would rank it in the top 100 globally.

A couple of years ago we visited the Museum of London Docklands. Much of it reminded me of the Old Town in the RBCM. Haven't been to too many museums that had great recreations of rooms etc. like our museum or the Docklands museum, and we've visited quite a few around Europe. Most like the Louvre or the Hermitage are just rooms full of stuff, very little in the way of recreations, except for the castle walls in the basement of the Louvre. Museum of London is also good with some recreations, but I think our museum did a pretty good job actually. Also I think someone mentioned digitizing records. That is an extremely labour-intensive, onerous task requiring a lot of staff and specialized equipment. This is how Find My Past digitized the 1921 UK census. Basically every page of every document has to be examined and "photographed".   https://www.google.c...y70PEPjbaDmAc15

Attached Images

• P1050650.JPG
  • P1050665.JPG

#896 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:55 PM

Those photos are from the Museum of London Docklands. 

#897 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:44 PM

Those photos are from the Museum of London Docklands. 

Do the descendents of the Druids complain that the Museum of London is too Anglo-Saxon?

• JimV likes this

#898 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 04:04 PM

lets not leave out the Normans.

#899 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:23 PM

I don’t think Jeff Bray did himself any favours with his “Oh, thank you, thank you, Mr. Premier for building another museum in the same spot in 8 or 10 years.”  My opinion of him dropped considerably after hearing that.

#900 someguywhoknowssomething

someguywhoknowssomething
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:03 PM

Seems odd to me that the whole giant announcement would be made prior to approval by treasury board.  If it was approved then there should be no problem in releasing it to the public, with perhaps a few redactions for privacy reasons.  If it was not approved then we have a cart/horse situation here.

One also can’t help but notice the deafening silence of our MLA, the Amazing Invisible Woman Grace Lore.  Not, of course, that she has ever commented on any issue of concern to her constituents.

Didn't they say It was approved by Treasury Board in March?  My guess is they are busy doing redactions of all the cheaper options laid out in that business plan.  This NDP government loves paying their union friends with our tax dollars and hate private sector operators so my guess is there were some very economical private sector solutions available.  If you look at the size of the site and also take into consideration they are also moving the archives out to royal bay, seems to me there's lot of space to build more than just a new museum there. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users