Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3782 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

I was there today and they went through the whole thing with me dockside is fine.

You were onsite or at the project office? Is there anyone left working in the Douglas St office?

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

I was in the Wharf Street sales room and then walked by the site and both are well staffed with excavation continuing and work starting on the Farmer Constuction Head Office and the Bio-Energy Plant.

But granted if they all pan out you can be the hottest VV'er for a day.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

^^Yes everyone is still at the douglas office.

#24 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hot off the rumour press mill, I have it from 3 separate, non related guys that reflections just went into receivership. I don't really know what that is to be honest, but it sounds bad. My guess would be, if even true, that their money lender took over. This rumour does lend itself to the fact that the developer was going to such ends to blow out the last few units with those RRSP / downpayment deals.

Oh, and Caramia, I'm Waaay hotter than Mike K ;)

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

This is by no means directed at you, Zimquats.

But those of us whom are privileged enough to have access to certain inside information should think long and hard about what are the consequences of sharing it with the world, before they share it. Once you post info on the web, you can never take it back and you might as well assume that you've just told every single person that has a computer and can read.
Real information has real world consequences, and in turn effects real people.

I'm not shunning anyone for sharing their information. I just want everyone to be careful with what you choose to share.
Developers, the press, local politicians, everybody who's anybody reads this forum, and information shared here has a way being being propelled very quickly into the spotlight. Not necessarily a bad thing. But definitely powerful. And power is a double edged sword.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

Share away I say. Unless you are told something under privilegded circumstances it should be ok to post it on here. Now that is different than malicious rumours which are not true and are meant to cause themselves to come about.

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

^I agree. Share away. I'm just suggesting people be careful.
But hey. You're the mod.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

Gumgum,

I will take the rumour about reflections to be true then!

I have no problems with rumours as long as the poster states such, is acting without malice and honestly believes that the information they are posting is true.

Personally I think that some people in Victoria rely on the fact that it is a small town and most won't stick their neck out. They then use this lack of information to take advantage of others (eg Ian Thow). How many people knew that the guy was offside yet said nothing and allowed their "friends" to be hung out to dry?

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

I know nothing about Reflections. Because I posted after him, I just didn't want Zimquats thinking I was speaking directly at him about my point.

I too don't really have a problem with rumours.

But too many times there have been BS spewed about particular projects where I know the source of the rumour was of the intention to blacken the name of the project and the developer.

This really happened a year or two ago:
A sales team of a certain project that everyone here knows about was telling everyone, including prospective buyers, that a certain competing project was on the cusp of financial collapse, and would inevitably stall. This team of sales persons spewed this lie over and over again for the sole purpose achieving a sale over their competitor. Inevitably, this information got back to the developer of whom the lie was being spewed. That sales team was given a stern warning. But who really knows how much damage had already been done.*
This sort of crap happens once in a while. It's an extreme example, but who really knows where certain info is coming from sometimes.
I'm not suggesting anyone here has done anything with intention of blackening a developer's name, nor am I suggesting anyone has said anything out of malice.

I guess I'm saying that those of us on the receiving end of the rumour should be careful how they choose to absorb it - whether they read it here, or hear from someone on the street.

*Please, if anyone here knows who I'm talking about, please keep it to yourself. :)

#30 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ya, I kinda see what your sayin gumgum, and along the same note I'd like to remind people that the crap I posted was put in the rumours thread, not the projects thread because, quite frankly, they are just that...rumours (except for the part about how friggen good lookin Zimquats is, I know that to be 110% accurate...only problem is I couldn't find a suitable thread to post about it in). Anyways, could these things come true...sure. Will they...who the hell knows. Any malice...absolutely not.

Anyway, I think anyone who may or may not make an important life decision based on what the avatars like spanky, gumgum, and Zimquats are posting in a 'rumours' thread on VV probally deserve what they get.

Unless that decision happens to be calling up Zimquats for a drink cuz he's sooo cute (ladies only please). In that case, you're making the right decision and should PM me @_@

#31 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

Ya, I kinda see what your sayin gumgum, and along the same note I'd like to remind people that the crap I posted was put in the rumours thread, not the projects thread because, quite frankly, they are just that...rumours (except for the part about how friggen good lookin Zimquats is, I know that to be 110% accurate...only problem is I couldn't find a suitable thread to post about it in).

Anyway, I think anyone who may or may not make an important life decision based on what the avatars like spanky, gumgum, and Zimquats are posting in a 'rumours' thread on VV probally deserve what they get.

Unless that decision happens to be calling up Zimquats for a drink cuz he's sooo cute (ladies only please). In that case, you're making the right decision and should PM me @_@

LOL - if someone actually does make a life decision based on the events and comedic value of this thread I'd love to know so I can have a good laugh and everyone can think I'm completely stark raving mad when they see a crane operator howling in his cab...

At the rate you're going Zimquat i think we should set up a whole other thread for you...Win a Date with Zimquat VV's most eligible Bachelor (no actual contest all ladies welcome) ... either that or an Online dating section for Urban Enthusiast :P...Webmaster?!...:P ;)

#32 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

^^
I like the way you think Guyinthesky!!

#33 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Look people, it isn't right to be toying with the ladies of VV like this. First - we are a vulnerable minority, and easily led astray by these kinds of suggestions. Second - I sincerely hope that no one is making promises that they can't keep. Cause if I enter to win Zimquats for a night, and I end up disappointed, there is going to be hell to pay. I'm talking chainsaws, gentlemen.

And how will you feel if it turns out that the tender and simple dear thing that is Ms B ends up sobbing all night because you turned out to be bald? And what about poor Martini, who is clearly a respectable and pure young woman - will she be horrified by your alcoholic tendencies? Or the delicate flower that is VictoriaFan. How will she feel when she finds out you are old enough to be her grandfather?

Just saying...

#34 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

This really happened a year or two ago:
A sales team of a certain project that everyone here knows about was telling everyone, including prospective buyers, that a certain competing project was on the cusp of financial collapse, and would inevitably stall. This team of sales persons spewed this lie over and over again for the sole purpose achieving a sale over their competitor. Inevitably, this information got back to the developer of whom the lie was being spewed. That sales team was given a stern warning. But who really knows how much damage had already been done.*

That's totally unacceptable. & I don't usually pay attention to anything unless it came from news on tv, or a link is supplied, etc etc.

#35 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

Wow Caramia, good thing this is a rumour thread or my feelings would be hurt lol.

Just to clear up a few rumours (as opposed to starting them) Zimquats is neither:
1) dissappointing
2) bald
3) An alcoholic (cept maybe on the odd long weekend)
4) old enough to date anyone who be his daughters age (not that I have kids, just sayin)

I'm so gonna get kicked off this site....

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

So if you are discrediting 2/4 of them does that mean Zimquats is hotter than Mike K? Yowsa!

Well, since this is a rumour thread... :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

Ya, I kinda see what your sayin gumgum, and along the same note I'd like to remind people that the crap I posted was put in the rumours thread, not the projects thread because, quite frankly, they are just that...rumours (except for the part about how friggen good lookin Zimquats is, I know that to be 110% accurate...only problem is I couldn't find a suitable thread to post about it in). Anyways, could these things come true...sure. Will they...who the hell knows. Any malice...absolutely not.

(spat tea out all over computer from laughing so hard)
Best post I have read all day. I think that needs to be an official, legal warning. Consumers beware; advice posted by silly sounding 'people' online should not replace the advice of your doctor, lawyer, common sense or the crazy lady with chin hair who lives next door to you.

I would love to read more 'rumours' about potential, cool projects that might happen around town rather than just those ones that might be on the brink of being cancelled. Anyone?

#38 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

Since it's just rumours...

1. Capella has stalled (at least 6 months, likely a year).
2. Scansa will be moving to complete concrete work at Silkwind, which will start in about 2 months. Might be teamed with Willowleaf, with Kinetic still as Construction Manager.
3. Construction will stop at Dockside indefinately after the buildings that are under construction are finished.
4. Zimquats is still the hottest person on this forum.

I'd be willing to bet at least 2/4 of these pan out.

Sooo, reading the Capella thread, it starting to look like 1. is panning out.

And, the silkwind thread seems to indicate a startup is iminent.

I'm still sticking behind phase three of Dockside on a stop (or at the very least a long 'pause'), time will tell but I'm still going with it.

Finally, the fact that I am the hottest guy here was kind of a given, so I can't take too much credit for that.

Seems like my magic 8-ball is working out for me.

#39 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

We're going to need some photos to confirm #4.

#40 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

Sooo, reading the Capella thread, it starting to look like 1. is panning out.

And, the silkwind thread seems to indicate a startup is iminent.

I'm still sticking behind phase three of Dockside on a stop (or at the very least a long 'pause'), time will tell but I'm still going with it.

Finally, the fact that I am the hottest guy here was kind of a given, so I can't take too much credit for that.

Seems like my magic 8-ball is working out for me.

I don't know...from what I hear, at least my sources on the street level have been telling me that there is some competition from a certain Tower Crane Operator over at Parkside for being the hottest guy on VV...now as this is just a rumor thread, thats just what i'm hearing from some of my adoring public...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

tiger11