Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

New heliport?

Nuclear power plant?

Solid waste treatment plant?

#602 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

I don't know how up to date the proposal is but the house at 2560 Quadra near Kings was demolished the other day.

2011 article:

"The application at 2560 Quadra St. proposes to demolish a single-family home in favour of a four-storey building with commercial main floor and 17 residential units above."

http://www.vicnews.c...tml?mobile=true

2015 presentation:

https://victoria.civ...resentation.pdf

Who is the developer?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#603 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

I don't know how up to date the proposal is but the house at 2560 Quadra near Kings was demolished the other day.

2011 article:

"The application at 2560 Quadra St. proposes to demolish a single-family home in favour of a four-storey building with commercial main floor and 17 residential units above."

http://www.vicnews.c...tml?mobile=true

2015 presentation:

https://victoria.civ...resentation.pdf

Who is the developer?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#604 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

^I believe it is Groupe Denux.

http://www.groupeden.../en/residential

Eric Barker is the architect.

This will be a good addition to Quadra Village.

https://victoria.civ...reet_Report.PDF

#605 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:21 PM

Oh, cool. I had no idea this project was in the works. Groupe Denux recently completed a rental project on Jacklin.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#606 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Laminated beams in place at Back Fit. It looks like door to the old bank vault is gone, but couldn't get a clear view.

back%20fit.jpg

Progress at Back Fit 

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

#607 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

This fire escape stairwell is being removed.  Not sure what's up.  The condition of the steps seemed fine.

File_001 (12).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Perhaps it interferes with the mural.

#609 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

The old NYNY/Sugar nightclub: if those stairs could talk there would be more than a few stories. That one is another parking lot I wouldn't mind seeing disappear in the wake of some future construction project......

#610 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

The old NYNY/Sugar nightclub: if those stairs could talk there would be more than a few stories. That one is another parking lot I wouldn't mind seeing disappear in the wake of some future construction project......

See, I'm wondering if something is up.  If you were to build adjacent, you might want that stairwell to go the other way (out to Yates), if you must keep it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#611 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

I doubt the removal of the nightclub stairs would happen literally years before construction on this site could start. They are likely just being repaired/replaced. Still, this is probably my #1 site downtown that needs a nice high-rise on it ASAP.

• jonny likes this

#612 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

For sure. Give me:

- a tower on one end and a shorter building on the other

- a decently wide mid-block lane facing the Coronet

- an Era-style commercial unit at the Yates end of the lane and live/work townhouses all the way along to Johnson

- parkade entrance on Johnson

• Nparker, Mr Cook Street and DavidSchell like this

#613 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

There already is a midblock walkway so that is an easy one :)

• jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#614 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

What I'm saying is, put another much nicer and much wider walkway right beside the Coronet's walkway (maybe 2-3 times as wide) and also change the dividers along the property line to something more pedestrian-permeable than what's there now and you might actually end up with a decent passage that could actually be appealing.

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#615 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

This fire escape stairwell is being removed.  Not sure what's up.  The condition of the steps seemed fine.

OK, had a chance to talk to the workers.  It's gone forever, no longer necessary.  Apparently it always sort of intruded onto the property next door with no real agreement in place.  But now fire systems or arrangements are such that it is no longer necessary as a fire exit.  If I'm not mistaken, the place has always had two stairwells exiting to the front.

Readers are probably aware that this nightclub recently sold to new owners (Atomique).

#616 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Readers are probably aware that this nightclub recently sold to new owners (Atomique).

I was not. Good news - it's one of the only non-seated good music venues in town. I could see live music happening on a more regular basis there now.

#617 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but a small townhouse complex appears to be going up in James Bay on Toronto Street near Parry...
  • Mike K. likes this

#618 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Stumbled across this on Flickr, posted by Joe. Housing Co-op proposal for Summit park at 3031 Jackson street?

28434796673_b2d78fcd4e_b.jpg

28947111632_59cca0afd0_o.jpg28976212221_d54236d66a_o.jpg

That house appears to be for rent starting September 1st as well for a good price as per Used Victoria.

#619 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Are there any updates on the large surface lot on Fort (next to the View Towers) that was for a sale a while back?

I understand that the previous proposal was cancelled and that the site owner(s) opted to sell.  Does this site have a new owner and (better still) a development proposal in the works?

Alongside the surface lot next to Sugar Nightclub on Yates and the large surface lot near Value Village, I'd consider this site to be one of the top 3 *prime* undeveloped surface lots in all of downtown (not counting the remaining 3 car dealerships along Cook Street in Harris Green East)...

• Nparker likes this

#620 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Harris Green Village has recently sold to a large company back east ( don't know which). They performed soil samples and found an old gas tank near the corner of Yates Quadra. Guess thereally was a gas station there at some time?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users