Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#1281 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Well, something is afoot on Yates. Ground floor is the old Sitka space.

Capture.PNG

#1282 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

What is the difference between a Development Variance Permit and a Development Permit with Variance?

#1283 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

^ A Development Permit with Variance is a lot more comprehensive, controls the form and character of an entire new development, and only applies to areas that the City has identified in the OCP as requiring a DP.

Development Variance Permit is for minor variances to the Zoning Bylaw, typically when building an addition or new construction in a non-DP-designated area (such as a single-family dwelling).

Either someone at the front desk is confused, or the applicant has no idea what the scope of work is. One of those applications will be cancelled.

• Nparker likes this

#1284 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

Details are now up on Dev Tracker.  They want to convert the old Sitka shop/café into first-floor residential use.  That would obviously require some changes to get the space up to code etc.

#1285 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hearing that the long empty Korean grocery store in the 700 block Yates might get added to the Churchill for more suites.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1286 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Hearing that the long empty Korean grocery store in the 700 block Yates might get added to the Churchill for more suites.

Just the retail space, the upstairs, or the whole building?

#1287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

My guess would be live-work?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1288 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Just the retail space, the upstairs, or the whole building?

Too many questions!  I don't know.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1289 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

re: 566/568/570 Yates (formerly Sitka): Dev Tracker now updated with the purpose of the application, but no plans yet. Applying to allow residential use on the ground floor.

#1290 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Too many questions!  I don't know.

I might know more after I talk with Mike K. tonight.

#1291 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Tax suggests apartments use is already permissible above.  It is likely the application is for residential on the rear portion of the lower floor. I know one of the neighbouring buildings was contemplating that as well since some of the commercial units in this area are very deep with minimal frontage. Many of the tenants find they don't need that much square footage and would ideally like to save on rent while maintaining frontage. 

Just my best guess!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1292 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

This Thursday (Feb 1) the CotW of Council will consider the DP application Point Hope Maritime submitted for construction of a graving dock at their shipyard on the harbour.  City staff support the proposal; their report can be found at https://victoria.civ...&preview=140870 .

• Mike K. likes this

#1293 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

This Thursday (Feb 1) the CotW of Council will consider the DP application Point Hope Maritime submitted for construction of a graving dock at their shipyard on the harbour. 

City staff support the proposal; their report can be found at https://victoria.civ...&preview=140870 .

I wonder if the TELUS cable will have to be moved that goes ashore near the graving dock site.

#1294 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

Dev Tracker is showing an application for a development permit at 1928 Oak Bay Avenue, which is across the street from Red Barn (it's currently a single-storey office building).  No details yet on the proposal.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#1295 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Also: not sure if this has been mentioned here or not, but the building housing Wellburns Supermarket (at Cook and Pandora) is for sale. This will be a prime redevelopment site; the surface parking lot can be replaced with new construction and the upper storey of the existing building can likely be spruced up. I’m not certain how long the supermarket’s lease is; perhaps it will stay.
  • Nparker likes this

#1296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

...I’m not certain how long the supermarket’s lease is; perhaps it will stay.

Lease or not, how long can Wellburn's survive once Save-on-Foods is open next door?

#1297 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

The current Wellburn's building would make an amazing podium to a new building. 

• Nparker and cathawk like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

The current Wellburn's building would make an amazing podium to a new building. 

Agreed. Save the facade and incorporate it into an entirely new building that covers the entire lot.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1299 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

...Save the facade and incorporate it into an entirely new building that covers the entire lot.

There are some nice details here worth preserving and it would be great to see the ground floor restored.

old-wellburns.jpg

• Hotel Mike and gstc84 like this

#1300 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Dev Tracker is showing an application for a development permit at 1928 Oak Bay Avenue, which is across the street from Red Barn (it's currently a single-storey office building).  No details yet on the proposal.

The proposal is to add 2 additional storeys to the existing commercial building; the plan calls for 7 rental apartments in total and a reduction in commercial space on the first floor (but not its elimination).  I assume that they'll place one apartment on the ground floor and 3 apartments on both the second and third floors.  See https://tender.victo...130113108219653 .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users