Amalgamation

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

That should be easy....simply ask for residence information at the time of arrest.

VicPD should start collecting and releasing this data just to make a point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

VicPD should start collecting and releasing this data just to make a point.

I agree 100%. BTW how many Saanich police officers are working at the BC 150 festivities on the Inner Harbour this weekend? Or are no Saanich residents going to be there?

#63 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

I have heard some stats from the police about the number of arrests of non-Victorians in the city. I can check but I believe the number is around a third.

#64 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

If I could, I'd insist that Saanich residents should not be allowed to use any of the services or ammenities of the City of Victoria without paying a special user's fee.

In almost all cases, Saanich residents already help pay for downtown services and amenities whenever they engage in any economic activity downtown, even if they only work there.

#65 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

Here is a facebook group in favour of amalgamation.

#66 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

Amalgamation has been kicked around and rejected for at least over 60 years. Seems only Victoria residents see much value in the idea. But perhaps if we call it 'municipal integration' we can achieve some things for the common good: economic development, emergency services, and solving urban core social issues.

In that regard we could then move to a ward system - with representation at city hall more neighbourhood focussed.

Comparing what happened in Toronto and other larger cities is not, in my view, relevant to the South Island. We have a far different situation here - in land size and population - and if we want to be taken more seriously by Ottawa for infrastructure funding and housing tax incentives we would do much better by speaking with a united voice of 380,000 residents.

Just some thoughts on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Susan Woods
www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com
suewoods@shaw.ca

#67 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

Interesting Susan - I notice that Vancouver considered going over to a ward system in 2004. Would you work toward integrating the entire CRD? Or would you consider the Western Communities separate? How about the Peninsula?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#68 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi Caramia, I think it would make best sense to divide into three regions - Westshore/ Saanich Penninsula/ and Central Core (Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, and Victoria city).

Victoria used to have a 8-ward system (which is why there are 8 council seats) and would preclude the need for councilors to serve as neighbourhood reps for areas they do not reside in.

Sue

#69 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

^ Learned something new (i.e., that Victoria used to have a ward system), thanks!

Your suggestions make sense to me, Susan. But obviously resistance against them (esp'y in municipalities like OB and Saanich) is huge.

At the same time, so much is already "municipally integrated" through the CRD that it's easy to lose a sense of urgency about what all of us could gain positively if we had smart integration.

Consider the thread on this forum, Subsidizing renewable energy, where we read about Berkeley's initiative to "green" its built environment ("Berkeley Approves City-Backed Loans for Solar Panels"). Looking at our situation in BC, I'm guessing that any municipality to instigate something like this would be rewarded, as per the new directives of provincial legislation, Bill 27.

Yet if such an initiative happened here, I bet you anything it would be a CRD-initiative, not something propagated by the City of Victoria. But then, because it would already happen in that "municipally integrated" manner, you wonder how it could be rewarded by Bill 27. (There must be some kind of provision for that in Bill 27, but I'm not sure how it works.)

Likewise, there are probably other provincial and federal programs that could reward our municipalities for progressive policies (not to mention program aid we could apply for as a Core Central municipality vs the 80K City of Victoria municipality), but either we can't because we're too small, ...or it's something that gets done under the CRD rubric anyway?

I guess what I'm wondering/ asking is this:
  • if we get any kind of funding or aid (provincial or federal) that comes through CRD (and I don't know what that would be), how does it compare to what we'd qualify for if we stepped up as a Central Core municipality? IOW, would we get more? Would we be better off? Would we have more options?
  • and how do new initiatives (like Bill 27) work with regard to Regional Districts across the province? Or are individual municipalities -- whether integrated/ amalgamated or split into 13 different bits -- better off dealing with legislation like that?
I'm asking because in some ways I get the feeling that we're content with increasing the CRD's role as a way of alleviating pressure on the "A-word" question. But if we let CRD represent us, are we better off when dealing with the senior levels of government?

PS/Edit: My questions apply to the Sewage issues thread, too. In that area, too, I've got the same question: with regard to waste-water treatment, the province will reward innovative strategies by municipalities by giving those municipalities more funding for infrastructure projects (Bill 27). When those strategies come from a Regional District, vs. a municipality, how does that change or affect the rewards in infrastructure funding proposed by the province? (It's not a rhetorical question -- I'd really like to know, and if there's a senior Provincial bureaucrat or someone from a Regional District reading this who understands the issues, as well as my question, please chime in!)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#70 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

I take exception to a previous post that "there are only two council seats up for grabs in Victoria." The prediction that incumbents will automatically get re-elected is unfair to new candidates - is contrary to the democratic process - and is a complacency that makes me even more motivated to knock on doors, share my views, and hopefully enjoy a fair chance as a progressive-thinking newcomer to help shape the future of Victoria.

Thx, Sue

#71 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

For Ms. B Havin: I just wrote the last post (about automatic incumbant relection) before I read your reply to my thoughts on wards system/ intergration. Thanks for your response and I will address your comments in return.

Cheers Sue

#72 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Not to derail the thread but I notice that the three candidates posting here are all "fresh blood" - Susan, Pieta and Rob. Incumbents do tend to get re-elected, maybe partially because people feel familiar with their stances and personalities. It will be interesting to see if the adoption of new communication technologies changes that.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#73 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

^ Good point, Caramia. I already get the feeling I'll be voting for Sue! :-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#74 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for making my day :-)

Speaking of new communication techniques, I'm clearly struggling trying to figure out how to 'copy and paste' others comments into my response posts. Is there a tutrorial on this site?

As for expanding the scope of the CRD vs municipal integration, I am unable to give an educated answer. Its a really good question - and I will do some research and get back to this issue in the coming days.

Cheers for now,
Sue

#75 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

The first thing to do is make sure you have enabled full editing under your forum profile options, when you are making a post you should see a formating toolbar above the post like you do in Microsoft Word. If you do not see that toolbar;

• Click on User CP on the menu bar at the top of the forum.
  • Click on Edit Options on the menu bar at the left of the page.
  • Down at the bottom under Miscellaneous Options you will see Message Editor Interface. Make sure that you have chosen Full Editing.
  • Click Save Changes

Now, when posting copy and paste the text you are interested in quoting, then select it, and click on the little icon of the text bubble, between the insert image icon and the #. It will wrap text as a quote.

#76 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

A question for Susan - we can look to the CRD as an ideal for offering consistent services across our municipal borders, but the reality is most integrated services are problematic, not proven to be cost effective and there is a lack of understanding on what the CRD does, vs our own local admisistrations.

Take animal control - Oak Bay dropped the CRD from an animal/pet bylaw enforcement contract last year in favour of VACS (a private company, that also services Victoria proper). VACS has up to 5 bylaw officers that have mandated hours to patrol parks and streets for everything from dogs off leash to illegal camping. Saanich has 2 municiapl employees (one is usually off sick) animal control officers who are meant to not only deal with strays across the entire municipality, but find time to patrol all the parks as well! The CRD animal officers control View Royal, Langford, Sooke etc.

None of these entities talk to each other, or share info - so ridiculous situations occur where a dog absconds across a boundary, the owner gets the admin. run around, and the control officers wonder what to do with a found dog with a Saanich tag, in downtown Victoria.

Dog tag license fees, rules and penalties are also different depending on the municipality.

If you are in favour of 'municipal integration' meaning conformity on regulations, and a mandate for communication then I am for it.

#77 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hi Mat
If it weren't so frustrating it would be funny.

In my view - municipal integration would cut duplication of services, share the cost of maintaining infrastructure, create comprehensive and streamlined regulations such as the one you mentioned, create a larger and therefore more effective tax base, and above all create a new way of seeing ourselves as neighbours who use the same highways, walk our dogs in the same parks, and stand next to each other for events in the downtown core. It makes no sense for 80,000 residents of Victora to have to pay the costs of policing/maintenance/creating/and hosting events for 380,000 people from Oak Bay, Esquimalt and beyond to attend and enjoy. It is too much an "us and them' mentality that is, in my way of looking at things, strangling the ability of Victoria City to move beyond basic maintenance of the status quo.

Love to hear your thoughts,
Thx Sue

#78 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Susan - wonderful to have such a quick, and informative reply!

The animal control example is just one of many that are problematic - I would say CRD recycling pick up is one to be applauded.

One of my main issues is accountability - it does not matter to me if it is a council member, mayor, MLA, MP or ombudsman, but where tax money is involved we (as tax payers, voters and service users) need clear rules as to whom is responsible, who we go to for problems, advice and maybe, occasionally, offer a thankyou.

I fear a situation where a municipality will deny responsibility as 'it's a CRD issue' (sewage, policing?), or a greater region imposes a regulation that negatively impacts the life of my family. (like making all beaches dog free - anyone who proposes that can pay to fly my dog to Hawaii once a week for a swim!).

Ultimately, in the current situation, we vote for a council in our own municipality - we do not vote for a CRD board. Any amount of integration will be compromised by the need for democratic accountability - amalgamation is the future answer.

#79 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

I've always been a proponent for almalgamation (Westshore/Saanich Penn/ Victoria core) but have come to understand that we may need to proceed (aka tip toe) in smaller stages given the history and emotion. Thats why I've been referring to it as "municipal integration". But thats perhaps an overly cautious position - and could be seen as just another level of bureaucracy. Upon reflection I think it may be better for me to lose the "I" word - and go straight to the "A" .

It just makes no sense to me as the world gets smaller and communication becomes easier that there is resistence to joining together and cooperating to solve issues/ pay biils/ and craft comprehensive plans for our shared future. I see it as a win-win for everything from policing to being taken more seriously by senior levels of government. Harder to igore a larger more cohesive population.

I also see amalgamation as a good scenario for considering a return to the Ward System - as Victoria had in the past. Each neighbourhood elects one resident to represent them at the Council table. There would be no need to fear losing community spirit/identity, as currently exists, if this were the case.

Cheers for now, Sue

#80 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Now that was the clearest answer to a complicated and emotive question I have heard from any Mayor/Council candidate...ever. As we live in Saanich we cannot vote for you...but good luck.

There seems to be an underlying automatic distrust and dislike of a ward system from business owners and politically active locals I talk to - and I wonder why that is.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users