Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#2021 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

Whatever happened to all those green bikes?
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2022 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

I believe they are part of a new reef system in the Inner Harbour.

• Mike K. likes this

#2023 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

and the free blue bikes.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2024 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

I bought a bunch of wireless phone chargers for desks at work last week.  They arrived, each charging pad was wrapped in plastic.  Each AC/USB adapter to power them was wrapped in plastic.  Each of the USB adapters was also in a little plastic tray inside the cardboard box with the user manual inside a little plastic sleeve.

But I can't have a multi-use plastic checkout bag for my groceries?

• Nparker, mbjj and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2025 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:55 PM

Whenever I buy cutlery or ramekins for work every, single, one is wrapped in its own little bag, which is in a box, which is taped shut and wrapped in plastic. Presumably it’s to keep them from getting scratched during shipping, but what’s the difference? After a few uses, tossed in the presoak, banged around on the cutlery tray, put through the dishwasher 20 times, they all look the same. We aren’t talking fine silver here, either.

Mike, I think that green bike is still on my bike rack in fulford.

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2026 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:00 PM

Whenever I buy cutlery or ramekins for work every, single, one is wrapped in its own little bag, which is in a box, which is taped shut and wrapped in plastic. Presumably it’s to keep them from getting scratched during shipping, but what’s the difference? After a few uses, tossed in the presoak, banged around on the cutlery tray, put through the dishwasher 20 times, they all look the same. We aren’t talking fine silver here, either.

but most/many people would return them.  you could say the same about a brand new car, it's going to get a few tiny scratches, wear on the interior, tire wear even in the first week or two  - but you would not accept delivery that way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 04:01 PM.

#2027 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:01 PM

These are forks that cost a dollar, not a new car. Next?

Matt.
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#2028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:18 PM

maybe there are some seconds/bulk packed loose that are only 97 cents, dunno.

plastic is cheap.  35 cents a pound.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 04:19 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2029 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

Also unboxed several keyboards, mice and webcams the other day.  This is nothing new, but every single piece of glossy black plastic on any of these items is wrapped a protective plastic film.  Obviously it's to keep them from getting scratched, but these are truly single-use plastics that are often cut into pretty small pieces (think that one inch long bit of shiny black plastic around your webcam lens, or the space between the arrow keys and page up/down buttons on your keyboard).  Every single bit of it - plastic wrapped.  And then the whole thing is in a bag, in a box with another plastic bag around it.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2030 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:39 PM

https://thisisplasti...bout-landfills/

how about that glass!  i think the sun will burn out sooner.

• Nparker likes this

#2031 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:13 PM

We were out and about today soaking in the beauty of this gorgeous island of ours and we came across this rather handsome looking shitter at Spectacle Lake.

Mrs. Sparky asked me what was the outhouse like? Spotless I said, clean as a whistle, nice paper dispenser and a hand sanitizer dispenser. So she gave it a go.

C5ECD1BE-BF40-4064-8E98-D63E3404893F.jpeg

On her way out she hollers “Did you see this?”

Seb I think you are being denied your god given right to help build a nation with delightful crappers. We are going to need a lot of plastic bags if we hope to keep up with the obvious demand.

44E8DC5D-73A2-412A-A4BF-A156C59C9067.jpeg
  • Nparker, Wayne, todd and 2 others like this

#2032 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 08:46 PM

Lol, amazing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2033 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

Those are what are replacing the old outhouses all over Vancouver Island, and maybe even all over BC. Pretty decent for a hole in the ground crapper.

#2034 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:29 AM

Seb I think you are being denied your god given right to help build a nation with delightful crappers. We are going to need a lot of plastic bags if we hope to keep up with the obvious demand.

That was my thought, with the ban on anything plastic coming in Victoria then we will not be able to get anymore cappers.

Edited by spanky123, 01 November 2021 - 08:29 AM.

#2035 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 11:44 AM

Those are what are replacing the old outhouses all over Vancouver Island, and maybe even all over BC. Pretty decent for a hole in the ground crapper.

The more flushable ones the better, gives me the creeps sitting on an open hole in the ground

I suppose a rat is flexible enough to get up a flushable toilet as well.

Edited by todd, 01 November 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#2036 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:15 AM

Bugs across globe are evolving to eat plastic

Problem solved.

• Nparker and todd like this

#2037 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:18 AM

Canadians will need to find alternatives for plastic straws and grocery bags by the end of the year as the federal government puts the final motions in place to ban some single-use plastics.

Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault and a number of other ministers and Liberal MPs will lay out the plastics ban in a series of events across the country today.

Guilbeault is also expected to discuss plans to mandate a minimum amount of recycled content in other plastic items as the government seeks to create a bigger market for recycled plastic in Canada.

The draft regulations to ban six plastic items were published in December and the government has to have at least a six-month-long phase-in period once the final regulations are published this month.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tdown-1.6494379

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2022 - 05:19 AM.

#2038 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 07:39 PM

plastic.jpeg

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2039 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:05 PM

Since when did it matter
if virtue signaling actually made a difference?

#2040 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:33 AM

The third floor of the museum will become a plastic recycling plant, I’m hearing.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users