Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

lots of cities do that.  montreal.  toronto.

• todd likes this

#1982 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

lots of cities do that.  montreal.  toronto.

Yeah but I remember New York City’s piles a lot higher.

#1983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

The number of "single use" plastic bags that are going to get distributed by the end of the plague, much to the chagrin of Her Worseship, is one of the few silver linings in all this mess.  :)

Edited by Nparker, 29 March 2020 - 02:21 PM.

• mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1984 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

The number of "single use" plastic bags that are going to get distributed by the end of the plague, much to the chagrin of Her Worseship, is one of the few silver linings in all this mess.  :)

Best not to rub it in too much.

#1985 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:46 PM

https://youtu.be/rX7wtNOkuHo

#1986 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

New York City have for example I guess because they have no room for dumpsters they just pile massive mountains of garbage bags out on the sidewalk which often break open and spew trash and bags all over and into the waterways surrounding it (also usually oozing all over the sidewalk) and I think a general lack of caring because there’s already trash everywhere.

Thats normal for denser cities with older buildings. My daughter lives in central London and she puts her trash out on the sidewalk every other night. The cleanup crews hit every street pretty well every night. People put old tvs. chairs and mattresses out on the street and they are all picked up

• todd likes this

#1987 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:09 PM

Bigger and more oozing in New York.

#1988 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:23 PM

a few years back i asked someone back east if they had taken their christmas tree for chipping yet.  they were like "what are you talking about?" 

same thing they just throw it out with the trash it gets taken away.

#1989 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

a few years back i asked someone back east if they had taken their christmas tree for chipping yet.  they were like "what are you talking about?" 

same thing they just throw it out with the trash it gets taken away.

It ain’t no christmas trees in those new york trash bags.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1990 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

How do people feel about Quality Food's new bags? I think they've had them for about a month now (maybe longer) and they look like plastic bags and contain the same handles (actually feel a little tougher) but are compostable and even have printed on them you can use them as the green compost bin liner so we've been doing that and haven't had to buy new ones in a while. I haven't personally gone there since they got these bags so I don't know what they charge (if anything) and their website hasn't been updated to list them though. 

#1991 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

They charge 10 cents per bag, reasonable.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#1992 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

The province is approving the no-plastic bag bylaws already on the books in Victoria, Saanich, and other municipalities, and "laying the groundwork" to allow local governments to ban other types of plastic products. "The Province is proposing to draft a new regulation under the Community Charter to allow local governments to ban single-use plastics, such as shopping bags, plastic straws and polystyrene foam take-out containers, without requiring provincial approval." https://news.gov.bc....0ENV0051-001715

#1993 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

So, when Covid hit, we were told bringing our own bags was bad and dome stores eouldn't allow them. And now we're being told they're fine again?
  • todd likes this

#1994 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:11 PM

So, when Covid hit, we were told bringing our own bags was bad and dome stores wouldn't allow them. And now we're being told they're fine again?

Yup. Masks will protect us from everything.

• todd and rmpeers like this

#1995 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:56 PM

Other single use plastics
- drug needles
- naloxone kits
- dime bags
- methodon cups
  • sebberry, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#1996 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

I'd like to know when stores like Thriftys are going to take our pop bottle returns. We've been paying the deposit since March but can't return them to the store. Not everyone can drive miles to the bottle depot. Also it seems that milk containers will also be getting a deposit. I know stores don't like taking back anything milky due to smell. What will the stores do?

#1997 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:32 AM

Can Bonnie Henry now ban the bag ban?

Edited by todd, 13 September 2020 - 07:35 AM.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#1998 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

Even in non-pandemic times, do you really want customer-owned containers (reusable mugs, etc..) being handled by food service staff and coming into contact with food and beverage serving equipment? 

We all know that kid who got herpes from sharing a cup in high-school. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1999 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

rinsing milk containers will just mean more water use.

• todd likes this

#2000 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

In order to keep smells down in my recycling tub, I thoroughly rinse all plastic, metal and glass items (although the latter no longer gets recycled, it still sits in the same tub until I take everything to the recycling/garbage bins in my condo's parking garage). I suspect there isn't much of a net environmental gain in the entire process, but since optics are more important than actual benefit these days, I am good with the situation as is. I learned this in "Virtue Signalling 101".

I am also going to have to buy plastic garbage bags again (instead of reusing grocery bags) so there's another draw on the environmental front.

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users