Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1961 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:42 PM

So far it seems the plastic bags being used now are old stock and in poor condition. Brittle, easy to tear. Paper does it for me, it’s cold enough out still that we are burning wood in the morning and evening - paper bags are great fire starters!

Matt.

#1962 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

About time. It’s shocking that it took this long for them to return to checkout counters.

All along we’ve been saying reusable bags are a health risk, as is the disappearance of disposable plastic containers and utensils (notwithstanding Trudeau washing his plastic fork).

One wonders if any though was given to this before Victoria first introduced its failed bag bylaw. Safe to assume if it was, it would've been ignored by the extremely intelligent and intellectually gifted mayor, Ben/Jerry, etc. But I would be curious to know if anyone flagged it as an inevitable consequence.
  • rjag likes this

#1963 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

One wonders if any though was given to this before Victoria first introduced its failed bag bylaw. Safe to assume if it was, it would've been ignored by the extremely intelligent and intellectually gifted mayor, Ben/Jerry, etc. But I would be curious to know if anyone flagged it as an inevitable consequence.

I think you'll find that the health side of this was covered several times on this thread and I'm sure it was brought up and discussed with our reasonable council...

• todd, rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this

#1964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

Indeed it was, and numerous times as a talking point on CFAX.

We can’t change a society’s behaviour without the necessary education to go along with it. Switching out plastic for reusable bags never came with calls to clean them regularly in the wash, and that’s likely because the people seeking an environmental angle for this would have stopped and asked, “wait, doesn’t washing these bags use energy, soap and water? How is that environmentally progressive for bags that are already more energy and material intensive to produce?”

Reusable bags are a convenience and that’s all they are (bigger, better able to handle heavier items) but that’s if you’re carrying some wherever you go. Because CoV touted this as an environmental measure the courts killed the forced requirement.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1965 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:06 AM

Even City staff acknowledged at reusable bags were far more harmful to the environment overall then plastic bags. They stated such in their report. That was the rationale for forcing stores to charge $1 and then $2 for them. I think that they hoped folks would just do the Costco thing and dump everything back into their shopping cart and use no bags.

#1966 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

Like everything else they have done, their actions re bags shows they just don't have the smarts to make good decisions.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

#1967 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

Like everything else they have done, their actions re bags shows they just don't have the smarts to make good decisions.

What CoV and their acolytes have demonstrated is you dont have to be smart, you just have to be in power. And you attain that power by mobilizing your acolytes. 

What they have further demonstrated is they are the poster children for unintended consequences

• spanky123, Love the rock, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1968 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

So far it seems the plastic bags being used now are old stock and in poor condition. Brittle, easy to tear. Paper does it for me, it’s cold enough out still that we are burning wood in the morning and evening - paper bags are great fire starters!

Matt.

I find the local newspapers flyer-wrappers containing old news and the flyers within are an excellent fire starter for these sunny and warmish but still cold in the morning and night Spring days.

• Mike K. likes this

#1969 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:22 PM

They are ok, but kraft paper bags are better. :)

Matt.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#1970 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:47 PM

I would feel a little guilty burning a perfectly good paper bag versus paper that has no actual value.

I need the paper grocery bags to package shredded paper for recycling.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1971 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

It’s the only reason I get a bag at all, and I only get them when we need something for the fireplace. We burn the newsprint too, don’t worry!

Matt.

#1972 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

it seems the plastic bags being used now are old stock and in poor condition. Brittle, easy to tear...

The plastic bags I received today at Save-on-Foods were indeed very thin. I remedied this by placing them inside the reusable bags I brought with me as soon as I was past the check-out. BTW SoF was well-stocked in most items, especially produce.

#1973 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,035 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:49 PM

• Nparker and rjag like this

#1974 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

Quick! Someone post this to Lisa Helps' Facebook page.

• Love the rock and mbjj like this

#1975 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

common sense will prevail................... one way or the other

#1976 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

It’s kind of sad but I almost feel bad.

#1977 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:21 AM

didn't she get rid of her facebook page because it was a toxic echo chamber of negativity she kept twitter though...

#1978 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:03 AM

It’s kind of sad but I almost feel bad.

I don't. Same as when my composting bags run out, that's it. Not going to worry about where my peelings go.

• Nparker likes this

#1979 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:00 PM

I don't. Same as when my composting bags run out, that's it. Not going to worry about where my peelings go.

I've just never felt emotion before.

• mbjj likes this

#1980 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:04 PM

New York City have for example I guess because they have no room for dumpsters they just pile massive mountains of garbage bags out on the sidewalk which often break open and spew trash and bags all over and into the waterways surrounding it (also usually oozing all over the sidewalk) and I think a general lack of caring because there’s already trash everywhere.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users