Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

Walmart Canada today announced that beginning Feb. 9, 2016, it will stop providing free plastic bags to customers in an effort to promote the use of reusable bags and ultimately eliminate plastic film from land-fill.

Finally!

That move will save Walmart's bottom line and will ensure a few more stores survive.

Thrifty Foods eliminated plastic bags at the till years ago.

The thing is most stores still have the smaller clear twist tie bags in the produce department, as well as prepackaged potatoes, grapes and onions in plastic bags.

The banana has it's own protective packaging for easy removal and access to the tasty part. :banana:

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

Thrifty Foods eliminated plastic bags at the till years ago.

Thrifty Foods brings back plastic bags

Two years ago, Thrifty Foods stopped offering plastic carryout bags at its 26 stores, expecting customers would embrace reusable bags. Free paper bags were still offered.

BY VANCOUVER SUN AUGUST 18, 2011

Grocery shoppers aren't all that green after all.

Two years ago, Thrifty Foods stopped offering plastic carryout bags at its 26 stores, expecting customers would embrace reusable bags. Free paper bags were still offered.

But many customers still prefer the convenience of disposable bags. Acknowledging customer preference, Thrifty rolled out a pilot project Wednesday that brings plastic back to three mainland stores, in Abbotsford, Coquitlam and North Vancouver.

http://www.canada.co...9c-70d9bdc051c8

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

That was a pilot project in 2011. They still don't offer plastic at the till, except around the meat purchases.

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

^And I still don't bother shopping there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Good. Thise bags are worth 2 cents, if that, so no wonder people got upset when stores offered no plastic and charged $1 per bag

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

They should quickly phase out the 5 cent bags too if they have 25 cent reusable option.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

They should quickly phase out the 5 cent bags too if they have 25 cent reusable option.

Why?  Why should consumers be denied the opportunity to buy plastic bags?   Over in housewares, they can buy probably 30 or 40 varieties of plastic bags in bulk.  Why can't they buy some individual ones at the till?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Why?  Why should consumers be denied the opportunity to buy plastic bags?   Over in housewares, they can buy probably 30 or 40 varieties of plastic bags in bulk.  Why can't they buy some individual ones at the till?

I'm not even going Ben Isitt right now.  The goal was Walmart's goal of zero waste or whatever it was.  it would help them meet that.  Charging 5 cents won't.  Most people will just eat that and complain.

But if they just don't have the bags, then it's a Superstore thing and people eventually just give up complaining.

#29 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Home Depot tried the 5 cents and gave up.

#30 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

What they should do is provide a discount for bringing your own bag.  

Country Grocer gives you 3 cents for bringing your own back.

If Walmart went 5 cents to purchase a plastic bag, and gave a 5 cent discount for providing your own bag, that's a 10 cent difference to bring your own bag.  

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

But if they just don't have the bags, then it's a Superstore thing and people eventually just give up complaining.

They brought the bags back.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

The goal was Walmart's goal of zero waste or whatever it was.  it would help them meet that.  

Is Walmart demanding vendors manufacture their products in zero-waste plants?  I wonder what environmental standards Walmart sets for its vendors.  Seems to me that driving down the cost of goods would nave a negative effect as cleaner manufacturing tends to cost more.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

Is Walmart demanding vendors manufacture their products in zero-waste plants?  I wonder what environmental standards Walmart sets for its vendors.  Seems to me that driving down the cost of goods would nave a negative effect as cleaner manufacturing tends to cost more.

95%* of the products you buy at Walmart go in the landfill at some point, and the lesser-cost ones more so.  I'm not sure the point.

*usual.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure the point.

The point is that Walmart is doing nothing more than creating the illusion of eco-friendliness with a bag fee/ban if they're not demanding suppliers clean up their act too. 

#35 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

It's true there's probably no point.  Most of the stuff sold there is garbage already.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

The point is that Walmart is doing nothing more than creating the illusion of eco-friendliness with a bag fee/ban if they're not demanding suppliers clean up their act too. 

Well, they say they are working with suppliers to reduce packaging.  And if anyone has clout with manufacturers, it's Walmart.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

If stores were serious about saving the landfill they wouldn't sell any plastic bags including the biodegradable ones.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

http://vancouverisla...ofino-1.2848177

Environmental group wants to ban plastic straws in Tofino

Hmmmm, what would we go to here if you can't use a straw?  There is a fair amount of people that can't or won't drink directly from a bottle or can.  Drinks with ice in them is often better with a straw.  If there were no straws available, wouldn't lots of people then at least buy plastic cups?

#39 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

Hmmmm, what would we go to here if you can't use a straw?  There is a fair amount of people that can't or won't drink directly from a bottle or can.  Drinks with ice in them is often better with a straw.  If there were no straws available, wouldn't lots of people then at least buy plastic cups?

Your fountain pop would spill all over the place, if that's an issue then I guess an entire resealable bottle made of plastic would be the option. Bring your reusable bottle? fountain pop machine contaminated with bubonic plague? 

#40 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

There are metal straws if you need to drink it like that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users