Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#501 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

News to me.  Maybe one in 2,000 cyclists?

It's definitely more than that. Go for a walk around UVic these days. I actually did a count the other day - closer to 1/4 had a bag over the seat, and a couple had a bag over the GPS/electronic display or whatever it was too.

• Jackerbie likes this

#502 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Just remind her that cyclists often use disposable plastic bags as seat covers in the rain and she'll probably reverse course, right?

Not a good idea because someone might steal the bag.

• todd likes this

#503 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Ha, hilarious responses! When we're in the middle of a painting job and don't want to wash the brushes every day, we freeze them in a plastic bag. :-)

Exactly. Plastic single-use bags are anything but single-use! Everyone stashes them away and uses them for a variety of important tasks after the groceries are put away. Why does the CoV mistakenly think that people just toss these into their trash bins once they're empty? Is this what happens at Helps' house? If so, she's the problem, not the rest of us... 

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#504 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

i'll say it.. i hate reusable bags.. they clutter up my home, they clutter up my trunk, they get tangled around things, they get forgotten, i wildly dislike carrying them, i hate that you can't always estimate how many bags you will need before leaving the house so you have too many or not enough when you need them.. i'm just all around not a fan of them, i have enough stuff to carry around already i don't need to add more to the mix, and those cute little bags that fold up into a tiny little ball those don't hold squat when your trying to bring your groceries home

And you take your dirty reusable bag and put it up on the counter where my clean food is going and now I get all germ ridden stuff on my stuff.

• Midnightly likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#505 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

Paper bags: $0.15 on July 1st, $0.25 January 2019.

Cloth bags: $1 July 1st, $2 January 2019.

Number of times I will buy anything in Victoria - 0

• sebberry and Star Dust like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#506 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Just saved another 15 cents on some cereal and a bag of chips!

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#507 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

And you take your dirty reusable bag and put it up on the counter where my clean food is going and now I get all germ ridden stuff on my stuff.

Yeah those conveyor belts are probably germ ridden as well as the shopping carts that sit outside gathering parking lot grunge.

#508 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

There are germs everywhere. I'm always amused to see people using the sanitizing wipes before going into the grocery store. How ever did we survive the 1950s and 60s?

Can someone explain the proposed fines for individuals? If someone gives out a plastic bag at their garage sale will they be fined? Will undercover agents be visiting garage sales?

• Nparker likes this

#509 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Can someone explain the proposed fines for individuals? If someone gives out a plastic bag at their garage sale will they be fined? Will undercover agents be visiting garage sales?

Individuals likely can not be fined in the course of their employment.  The employer has to pay, just like if you crash the forklift.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#510 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

There are germs everywhere. I'm always amused to see people using the sanitizing wipes before going into the grocery store. How ever did we survive the 1950s and 60s?

According to Helps, businesses will use peer pressure to regulate themselves. Right.

I can see competitors reporting each other to the City, but it will be up to City staff to investigate and issue fines.

• Love the rock likes this

#511 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Only if your garage sale is operating with a business license.

#512 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Individuals likely can not be fined in the course of their employment.  The employer has to pay, just like if you crash the forklift.

I had a part time job years ago and was lifting a skid load of ceramic flower pots with an old forklift and set the whole load down away to hard. Job over.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#513 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

According to Helps, businesses will use peer pressure to regulate themselves. Right.

I can see competitors reporting each other to the City, but it will be up to City staff to investigate and issue fines.

This is what I questioned .
The honesty of Helps statement in a previous post .
Please Mayor name names of businesses who are going to play a downtown version of spy vs.spy and report businesses for giveaways of hotly sought after single use bags .
Are they going to pay employees to leave the premises and check if customers are reusing their own single use bags or being offered in back rooms highly coveted new single use bags .
Please name the businesses that you speak of .
  • Nparker, rjag, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#514 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Got caught in the heavy rain today. Sure was glad to have a "single-use" plastic bag for my stuff, one which I've used for at least a year, lol.

• Nparker, rjag and JanionGuy like this

#515 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I don't support the Plastic Bag Ban for various reasons.

The biggest problem we have in our society regarding plastic bags is not actually the bag, but the lack of education among the public as to how plastic bags are 100% recyclable, and have been for the last 20-25 years. On top of this fact, many local merchants had changed over to compostable bags and or biodegradable bags long, long before the cloth bags were introduced several years ago into stores such as Thrifty Foods.

This MYTHICAL term "single use plastic bag" is nothing more then a fabricated, and false politicized term created to generate negative views towards the plastic bag, as in reality their is no such thing as a "Single Use Plastic Bag"......unless you of course chose it to be.

The plastic bag today in modern times has come a long way from it's original conception. Today every single one of them is recyclable, compostable, and or biodegradable, and most certainly REUSABLE!  They are extremely durable, and useful for multiple every day tasks and uses. They are clean, sanitary, and can be re-used dozens of times before recycling them.

I myself re-use my plastic bags 20-30 times before they are too worn out and full of holes. I then bring them back to the store where they are collected and sent off to a facility that recycles them.

The problem we have is not the bag, It has never been the bag, but instead the person who has the bag and throws it into the garbage, rather then taking them back to get recycled. We recycle many products in Victoria, and many things go into our blue bins that get recycled, along with many things that don't because our city has no way to recycle them. But the plastic bag......It's been recyclable for at least the last 25 years and has had the recycle logo printed right on it. It's always been there.

Now, on the topic of Charging for a bag.........Why should a customer who chooses to give their business to a local merchant, and spend their hard earned money in their establishment, then be charged additionally to remove the products and items that they just purchased from that merchants business? Would one not automatically think that should be a courtesy of the merchant to provide a basic act of customer service to the customer for choosing to shop at their place of business? I think so.......

As far as the Victoria Ban goes..........I will never shop at any business in the municipality of Victoria ever again, as long as the ban remains in place.  As a paying customer I demand the convenience of being able to carry home anything and everything I purchase from a store or place of business without having to pay for that option. It is a cost of business, and a very basic act of customer service that  should be considered essential by any business owner. I will simply take my business to other municipalities and that's that.

• exc911ence, mbjj and Midnightly like this

#516 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Don't forget that they are easily handled by a 14 h.p. garburator too.  Or at least mine are.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#517 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

I certainly agree that businesses should not be forced to charge for a bag. Who the hell does city council think they are? I'd love it if businesses all refused to charge.

• Midnightly likes this

#518 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

I certainly agree that businesses should not be forced to charge for a bag. ..

Someone earlier suggested stores could offer a discount on a customer's purchase equivalent to the cost of the bag charges. This would work unless the city intends to collect the bag charge revenue from local businesses. Does the CoV have the power to impose and collect this sort of levy?

#519 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Someone earlier suggested stores could offer a discount on a customer's purchase equivalent to the cost of the bag charges. This would work unless the city intends to collect the bag charge revenue from local businesses. Does the CoV have the power to impose and collect this sort of levy?

As far as I know, their is no legislation, nor are their any by-laws that allow the city to collect bag revenues from business. Thrifty food last I checked gave 3 cents back per reusable bag you brought into the store.

My stance however is that their should never be a charge to the Customer for a bag to remove items they purchase from a business to begin with. It's like trying to justify charging a customer a Chill Charge at a liquor store for a cold product. Why should the customer pay an additional fee on top of what the business is already charging for their product. Whether it's a plastic bag, or any other kind of bag, or a chill charge...that is an operating expense of the business, not the customer.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#520 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

Don't forget, the customer pays for everything - bags, chill charges, etc. 

Matt.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users