• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#901 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

^^ There is no 2-month compensation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#902 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

I can see why tenants want rent increases legislated to the 3-4% they propose.  Does that mean that housing prices can only go up by 3-4% too?  What about cars, food, gas, clothes, etc?

As a homeowner I want protection too!  For example, oh say, the painter coming next week should only be able to increase his prices by 3-4% from last year too  :whyme:

That is the rub isn't it. Ultimately the only tool the landlord has to protect their investment is to sell it when it no longer is advantageous to rent it out.

I am sure that City staff are working on a way to try and implement price controls on property re-sale values now as well.

Edited by spanky123, 27 October 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#903 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

^I think the entire NDP provincial government cabinet should put restrictions that says the value of their personal houses will increase no more than 3-4% per year.  Lets see them lead by example.  John Horgan lives in Langford correct, first stop his house!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#904 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Earlier in the thread is the discussion on being forced out after one year.

That is not correct. The new legislation does not force you out after your tenancy, it simply switches to month-to-month at the end.

I spoke with David Hutniak of Landlord BC and he says fixed-term leases are essentially a thing of the past with the new legislation save for a few cases. He is looking into short term rental details as they pertain to the legislation and will confirm that information, too.

But to reiterate, tenants will NOT have to move after a fixed-term period ends for regular residential arrangements.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#905 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

Earlier in the thread is the discussion on being forced out after one year.

That is not correct. The new legislation does not force you out after your tenancy, it simply switches to month-to-month at the end.

I spoke with David Hutniak of Landlord BC and he says fixed-term leases are essentially a thing of the past with the new legislation save for a few cases. He is looking into short term rental details as they pertain to the legislation and will confirm that information, too.

But to reiterate, tenants will NOT have to move after a fixed-term period ends for regular residential arrangements.

We never said they had to move.  But we said they have to if the landlord wants to put the rent up over 4% for the next term.

It's amazing that nobody has the actual details right on this thing.

And no, existing fixed leases do not become month-to-month under this new legislation, that will easily fail in a court challenge if that was the case.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 06:59 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#906 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Unless the tenant is evicted, the fixed-term tenancy automatically moves into month-to-month status. At which time the rent can only be increased according to the provincial maximum.

Fixed-term agreements are no longer a “thing.” If the tenant wants out he must give notice in month eleven.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#907 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Sorry, fixed-term with a move-out clause are no longer a thing.

Know it all.

#908 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Unless the tenant is evicted, the fixed-term tenancy automatically moves into month-to-month status. At which time the rent can only be increased according to the provincial maximum.

Fixed-term agreements are no longer a “thing.” If the tenant wants out he must give notice in month eleven.

Wrong.  No government can make me rent my space out for eternity.

Let's see the freakin' legislation, we are all guessing at it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#909 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, fixed-term with a move-out clause are no longer a thing.

Wrong.  Tell that to the thousands of BC landlords that rent their place to students Sep-May and use it as a vacation home in the summer, all over this province

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#910 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

From David Hutniak:

“Fixed-term for 12 months for new tenant then revert to month-to-month ...they are ending fixed-term tenancies with a vacate clause.“

So your first 12 months are fixed. Then you no longer get evicted after that period. How this will apply to EXISTING fixed-term leases remains to be seen, but once this legislation comes into play landlords will no longer append a move-out clause to a fixed-term rental and they, by law, will convert to mTm unless the tenant ends the tenancy.

Know it all.

#911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Oh, none of this may pan out, VHF, but that’s what Robinson has proposed. No more fixed-term leases with a move-out clause.

This may need to be tweaked and reconfigured to allow for short term rental situations. I suspect we might end up with a regulation pertaining only to full-time residency (I.e. one year).

Know it all.

#912 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

From David Hutniak:

“Fixed-term for 12 months for new tenant then revert to month-to-month ...they are ending fixed-term tenancies with a vacate clause.“

So your first 12 months are fixed. Then you no longer get evicted after that period. How this will apply to EXISTING fixed-term leases remains to be seen, but once this legislation comes into play landlords will no longer append a move-out clause to a fixed-term rental and they, by law, will convert to mTm unless the tenant ends the tenancy.

And that is exactly how I understood it, VHF on the other hand - not so much.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#913 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Let's see the wording of the legislation!  Nobody wants to offer it.

They can not change existing leases.  

#914 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

If that is how they'll change it, so the first 12 month term cannot be fixed for one year with BOTH the landlord and the tenant having the ability to say in month 11 = yes, i'm moving out or yes, you must move out, then i'm definitely selling my rental as soon as my current good tenants decide it move on.

There is no out for a landlord for a lousy tenant otherwise. There are a lot of tenants out there that do the bare minimum they need to not get legally evicted. Those are crappy tenants.

Edited by lanforod, 27 October 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#915 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Why don't you all start doing references and credit checks then? Just dont understand the constant blame the tenant thing. How about sucking up and accepting the blame of not checking your tenant out.

https://www.tenantverification.ca
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#916 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Here's another...

http://www.consumer....enant-selector/
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#917 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

That’s fine for purpose builtvrental units. But there are hundreds of thousands of units that are not multi-family dwellings in this province (1.4 million BC residents rent).

You can not tell every owner that effective immediately the space they are renting is now rentable in perpetuaty to their existing tenant.

As with a lot of things, this NDP Government that we did not elect comes up with ideas first then onlybthibks them through much later.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#918 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

You can not tell every owner that effective immediately the space they are renting is now rentable in perpetuaty to their existing tenant.

I know this bothers you, but it's almost like that now. Extreme renovations complete with building permits and use by a close family member are the only methods where you can evict an orderly month to month renter.

Once a property owner decides to derive income by providing housing, they better know what they are getting in for.
  • Matt R. likes this

#919 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

Well, here is the proposed regulation.

https://www.leg.bc.c...reading/gov16-1

A lot of it points to section 97 where there will be a number of scenarios where the end of the fixed term means a tenant must vacate, but it's hard to find what those exceptions are.  I could not find them.

#920 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Why don't you all start doing references and credit checks then? Just dont understand the constant blame the tenant thing. How about sucking up and accepting the blame of not checking your tenant out.

https://www.tenantverification.ca

99% of landlords do that, but that doesn't stop bad tenants from getting in. People with good jobs, a decent income and a rap sheet of positive references can still turn out to be a nightmare.

It's not easy to quantify who someone is until you've seen how they live. And if their existing landlord wants them out he or she will happily say whatever necessary to get them out of their unit and into yours.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users