BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Citified talking on CFAX today at 8:20am about this.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

^Hopefully Citified will elaborate on how the pyramid atop the Mayfair clock tower contains an Eye of Providence. Mayfair was built on a brickyard! Masons! Wake up, sheeple!

• G-Man, Nparker, AllseeingEye and 3 others like this

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

^Hopefully Citified will elaborate on how the pyramid atop the Mayfair clock tower contains an Eye of Providence. Mayfair was built on a brickyard! Masons! Wake up, sheeple!

Get 'em outta here!

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

As for the rest of the mall, I actually think it's pretty good - as contemporary and hip as any other mall.  I think the exterior belies its coolness inside.  The skylights and trusses open it up and add a unique look to the place.

28182605270_e1d20689b1_h.jpg

nothing says 60s like a space frame. how AWESOME would it be if they went full-scale buck fuller & added a geodesic dome in the reno? you'd think with the budget they've got they'd be able to do one  :bow: 

1024px-Mtl._Biosphere_in_Sept._2004.jpg

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

Only with a guest appearance by Pauly Shore.

Blu-ray-Review-High-Def-Digest-Bio-Dome-

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#66 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

nothing says 60s like a space frame. how AWESOME would it be if they went full-scale buck fuller & added a geodesic dome in the reno? you'd think with the budget they've got they'd be able to do one  :bow: 

My first, and only, backpacking tent was a North Face Oval Intention.  IIRC, it was the first geodesic domed tent (circa 1975).

78341221.7cled2Oh.IMG_5897.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 22 July 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#67 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

or skylit areas like sfu's convocation mall. that would be incredile.

Convocation-Mall-SFU-Burnaby-British-Col

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 July 2016 - 11:12 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#68 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

or skylit areas like sfu's convocation mall. that would be incredile.

SFU looks great this time of year, but from September to April it is wet and in the clouds.   It sucks as a location for most of the year

• 57WestHills likes this

#69 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

I like what I am hearing about the re-development because it is going to bring a life to Douglas that is missing.

My only hope/desire is that they would build 2-3 floors above the mall for both condos and offices

• Nparker, Mr Cook Street and Dr. Barillas like this

#70 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

how about having a dais for the old-timey clock in a town-square-type area on the inside, like the lutine bell at the lloyd's building. that would be a pretty cool contrast if the rest of the mall looked like a space station or something. how badass could this mall be  :cool: 

Mayer%20clocks%20004.jpg
http://www.victoriac...restoration.php

Lutine_Bell.jpg
https://en.wikipedia...S_Lutine_(1779)

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 July 2016 - 03:01 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

BREAKING NEWS...another member of VV makes it it onto CFAX radio.  :thumbsup:

A large-scale expansion is being planned for Mayfair mall.

The website Citified has published a story confirming through the city that planning documents have been submitted for an 85-thousand square foot expansion of Mayfair Shopping Centre.
Mike Kozakowski, the founder of Citified, was on CFAX this morning.

• Rob Randall likes this

#72 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

It's far less labyrinthine than many other malls. Metropolis at Metrotown comes to mind.

I was going to exactly the same thing: even an expanded Mayfair will be utterly dwarfed the existing Park Royal (West Van), not to mention Metrotown which is on its way to growing to 2,000,000 square feet - a "mall" with a far larger skyline than all of downtown Victoria. Ditto for Chinook Center in Calgary. These 3 malls alone are all triple the size of even an expanded Mayfair: if Mayfair presents a problem then heaven help you in navigating Metrotown or especially the West Edmonton behemoth.

• Nparker likes this

#73 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

I wonder if they will find any bricks when they dig the hole?

Edited by Bingo, 22 July 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

It's far less labyrinthine than many other malls.

I'd say Mayfair is more labyrinthine than the other malls mentioned in this thread. It's not a huge mall but it contains quite a few islands/loops. Presumably this expansion will add one or two more.

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'd say Mayfair is more labyrinthine than the other malls mentioned in this thread....

Anyone who actually gets lost inside of Mayfair more than once should probably not venture far from home.

• AllseeingEye, sdwright.vic and lanforod like this

#76 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

I know... it's nothing more then a bunch of circles that are connected to each other. Actually so is the inside of the Bay.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

I know... it's nothing more then a bunch of circles that are connected to each other. Actually so is the inside of the Bay.

So is the Bay Centre downtown.  But in 3D.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#78 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Anyone who actually gets lost inside of Mayfair more than once should probably not venture far from home.

For sure, but I'd say people are much more likely to go in circles in a mall that has circles as versus in a mall that doesn't have circles. Anybody who gets lost in a straight-shot mall should probably be hospitalized and/or incarcerated.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

And since its latest makeover, Hillside is almost as circular as Mayfair.

#80 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

For sure, but I'd say people are much more likely to go in circles in a mall that has circles as versus in a mall that doesn't have circles.

Anybody who gets lost in a straight-shot mall should probably be hospitalized and/or incarcerated.

Take your GPS with you and make a note of the door you entered, and also the co-ordindates of your vehicle.

Failing that leave a chalk trail on the floor so that you can retrace your steps.

Leave a note with your mother telling her when to expect you back.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users